9/11 - Never Forget

I remember it vividly. I was sound asleep in Honolulu, HI at 3AM and the house phone rang. The wife answered it and started slugging me to turn on the TV. Of course there was the news showing the first tower on fire. I thought “Man, that sucks.” Seconds after I had that thought that the 2nd plane went in. I was out of bed and moving thinking “Oh &^#@ that was on purpose.” Somewhere between trying to pull on a uniform and get the duty officer or commanding officer on the phone I made it down stairs not doing either one very well. I walked out to the front of the House looked down the street and I could see the planes landing at Honolulu Intl. I went back inside and started stuffing uniforms in a bag, my wife who’s a pretty smart cookie didn’t say much until I was done. Then she asked “What should we do?”, I told her pack a lunch plus some clothes and anything else she thought was a good idea and go to the North Shore, there were 5 or 6 submarines with nuclear reactors 1 mile from the house. We said our good bye’s and I headed to the base.

I hit the Makalapa gate and the guard saw my sticker and waived me through. I stopped and asked if he had been informed as to what was going on? “About what?” I told him in my not so pleasant Chief voice that he had better button up and buckle up and start checking ID’s for real and to inform the watch officer. (I heard after the fact that he got a medal for being “proactive in an uncertain situation” :sunglasses: )

It worked out in Pearl Harbor as nothing happened but it was a right intense time. Things got interesting from there in short order on the operational side of the house.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes