9/11 - Never Forget

I was at home feeding my twin boys who were almost 1. My two year old daughter was watching Franklyn when my then husband called. I was waiting for the punchline to the joke he was telling me, but it wasn’t a joke. I gathered my kids and went to the neighbors because I didn’t want to be alone and I was trying to stay calm for my children.

3 Likes

7 Likes

That is my prayer for America! We need to live every day like it is 9/12/01!

4 Likes

My wife wakes me up to come see the news. The first tower had been struck. I witness the second plane hit and knew right then that it was deliberate. I had a doctor’s appointment that afternoon in Nashville, which was 80 miles away. I vividly remember the interstate being free of traffic, which is something that never happens at midday. My wife had asked if we should keep our son home from daycare before I left. I told her we can’t let fears stop us from doing what we need to do.

3 Likes

I was just pulling into the parking lot at work around 5:45 AM Arizona time. when it came over the radio that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center Tower one. I went into work and told some of my co-workers what I heard on the radio. And I also said that it wasn’t confirmed yet as well. But it was confirmed maybe 30 min. later. and at that time we were allowed to listen to personnel radios with head phones. And when I got home from work it was the only thing on the news that night. And I remembering getting at the time my two handguns a Ruger 22/45 and at the time a CZ-52 and running cleaning brushes through them. and also loading the mags with ammo. Because I didn’t know what to expect next. And I wanted to be ready for anything. and it was really strange not seeing planes flying over or around my house for weeks. Because I live close to Phoenix Shy Harbor Airport and see planes flying over all of the time.

jpg4 Plane%20into%20Pentogn

2 Likes

As we reflect upon 09/11/01 I ask all of you… Where were you?
Personally I was in bed, age 12, in West Linn OR.
My step dad woke me up and I watched the TV in our living room trying to make sense. My father called to make sure I was ok and as I took that call, I remember my mom screaming as the 1st tower fell.
Fast forward to 09/11/11, I was on a CH-53 getting shot at by the Taliban, while flying across the Helmand Province.
Looking back as we reflect on the eve of 09/11 of those who it has affected. My friends, family as well as those who I know who fought after the fact in places like Libya and Syria.
Today we as Americans need to reflect and remember this date, and what it means. God bless you all

1 Like

I was consulting at a hospital in Milwaukee and woke up that morning in a hotel room watching Fox and Friends. At the end of the show they broke in with a story about a plane hitting the World Trade Center tower and speculating about how an accident like that could have occurred on a clear sunny day. While they were talking about it the second plane flew into the other tower and I knew that it was no accident.

2 Likes

I was stationed at 29 Palms with the USMC, we were watching TV and the special report came on about the 1st plane hitting the trade centers. I thought something was off, when the 2nd got hit I knew we were being attacked. Next thing you know my CO comes rushing in saying the Pentagon was hit and we’re in condition red. Which told us it was time for us to Get ready because there’s gonna be hell to pay and the devil dogs were coming.

3 Likes

On 9-11 I was on shore duty working in the MEPS station in Tampa FL as a processor we were waiting for the days applicants to co e out of their physicals, looking over their paperwork the tv was on in the corner the news said a plane flew into the first tower as we switched to CNN just in time for the second plant to hit the other tower. After the applicants came out of the physicals we sent them home and closed down for several days as we were in the middle of town with no security in place.

2 Likes

So, it’s that time of year again. The anniversary of the day our lives changed.

I was in basketball, early in the morning. We were outside running lines. When we were done, our head coach gathered us around him and told us that if we believed in prayer, we should start praying. An airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center in New York.

I assumed that a small two person plane had caught a draft and been blown into the tower. Sad for the pilots, I thought. I showered and got dressed, then got into my truck, and that’s when I realized just how wrong I was. The radio wasn’t talking about a tragedy, they were talking about a catastrophe. An attack.

I was scarred, but school was on, so I went to my classes. Some teachers had us watch the news, and others kept the screen off and taught. I wasn’t interested in my class work.

Here is the best video I have ever seen on the topic. It still makes me sad to think about.

3 Likes

I was home that morning and woke up to it on the TV. I had my gear packed by afternoon waiting for the call. :angry:

1 Like

It seems like a lifetime ago but I imagine it is like my grandparents on hearing about Pearl Harbor.

I was still working and so I had a normal routine that I kept just about every morning. I got up, showered, Shaved and dressed for work. I poured a cup off coffee and sat back for a few minutes of news before leaving the house. I had a 16 mile winding and twisting road down a mountain to work so I hardly ever had coffee with me. about two sips into the hot cup of coffee I saw the first tower burning. My brain hardly skipped a beat and I thought it had to be an accident. Not seeing the size of the plane that made the first hole an accident seemed logical. I watched for a few minutes and then got in my car and headed for work. I got there first and opened the building for the people working for me. After all the lights were on and the coffee urn was going I went into the break room and turned on the news.

As I watched a few workers joined me and we stood in silence as the first building burned . Then to our total surprise we saw the second plane slam into the second tower. We all knew at that moment we had been attacked but not by whom. It was hard to work that day because I was pretty sure our world had changed course. As the news rolled in I was sure we were in a idealistic war. There were plenty of examples after that day to prove my suspicion correct and my son ended up going to Iraq and then Afghanistan as a result of that very day. I know I will not forget that day and more than I will forget this year. Our system came under attack in 2001 and that attack has carried on from other directions till the riots and divisions we see on the streets today. Back then Death to America were raised by enemies from foreign shores. Today those same chants are coming from people living under our system on these shores. The battle is real and 2001 was only the opening shots. Two thoughts come to mind. Ben Franklin statement that we are given a Republic if we can keep it and “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.” ( Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

2 Likes

1 Like

I know, I shared that a year ago. It bears repeating.

1 Like

I had just gotten out of active duty, and signed up in the guard for one year. Mission was to play opfor for the 173rd. Turned out it was 2/75.
I came back and told the PSG that something didn’t feel right.
We were getting ready for a night mission when the 1SG have us the new that we were confined to pay as the towers were hit.
2nd rangers jumped into A Stan and I came back to dirty for airports security.