Where's best place to carry gun license/permit, in event you get robbed outside your home?

I’m not a big fan of the push to put all our official IDs on our phones. It’s very convenient but if an LEO requests your ID for whatever reason and you have to hand them your phone so they can look at it they may just use that as an invitation to look through the rest of your phone to try and find something they can use against you.

6 Likes

Not to mention Murphy’s Law which will cause your phone to malfunction or battery to die at the time you need to show said id’s.

5 Likes

I carry my wallet in my left front pocket i carry there so it doesn’t interfere with my Tommygunpack. :cowboy_hat_face::cactus::sun_with_face::sunglasses::us_outlying_islands::statue_of_liberty::us_outlying_islands::desert::+1:

3 Likes

Appreciated you all’s tips; “God Forbid”, I get caught off guard.

3 Likes

I carry my actual ID’s bank cards in a Ridge clone wallet.

Which goes into my front pocket.

My back pocket has a fake wallet, with fake cash, and empty gift cards.

8 Likes

I am a little confused by the question. Are you referring to a stolen wallet and having to wait for a replacement permit? Or, are you referring to a defensive situation in which the robber has your wallet and two rounds in his center mass and you don’t have credentials to present to LE?

3 Likes

I think more people here might worry about your first possibility.

The second case shouldn’t really be a problem for anyone. If the cop asks for your ID just point and say that person there took it while they were assaulting me.

As I have probably mentioned here before I have a money clip with some cash and a credit card that I use for my daily purchases. I have no problem tossing that to a criminal to encourage them to go away or create a distraction so that I can get away or defend myself. My other wallet with extra cash and important IDs hides in another pocket.

2 Likes

I was referring to trying to prevent the loss/theft of a CCL/Permit.

I was not referring to the idea of “robber has your wallet and two rounds in his center mass and you don’t have credentials to present to LE”. The state database system has it.

However, that does bring to mind the idea of taking a photograph of one’s permit card, saving a copy at home, in print and electronically. In some states, LE can look up if one has a Permit from one’s DL.

I imagine some of us, as I do, cherish and value certain property more than other items we have – like Permits, and wouldn’t want to lose it, but that can always be replaced. And as one other posted, work on avoiding being put in such position.

Sometimes, I’m not legally allowed to carry (CCW) (the usual prohibited places we all/civilians experience), but I’m in such of a habit of always carrying the Permit.

2 Likes

I am permitted in two states. Both require the possession of the physical with no exceptions. That said, I’m my home state it is a $25 citation for not having your permit while carrying. All and all, I carry both permits at all time with photo copies on my phone.

4 Likes

If you’re as careful as I am about your permit and other critical permits etc. I have various places where I have tailors what I want to do. At first he thought I was crazy. After a week went by he called and wanted me to come see what I thought. Since I only wear jeans now days it wasn’t hard to put 2-3 places where your criminal wouldn’t ever find them. And yes I’m crazy and not stupid or did I get that reversed

4 Likes

Awesome idea. I need try that.

1 Like

'Nothing like having backup copies. I also have copies in my home safe, and glove box. The officers may give me a citation after my wallet has been stolen or robbed, but the judges and police around here are reasonable and won’t bother. They’ll just tell you to pay the $10 to get a replacement ASAP.

2 Likes

Interesting points. We remain in the “system”, can be seen on the website via our passwords, saved onto our phone, computers, and photo copied in color. I emailed my local state police to run the ideas past them, awaiting their response. I “try” to carry my CCL Permit daily, but nice to know a back up plan.

1 Like

It wouldn’t hold up as being equivalent to the actual permit/license, but I keep a copy of everything on my phone (in a password protected folder, of course). I figure it might at least get me the benefit of the doubt if needed (and save me lots of time trying to find the hard copies).

3 Likes

Thats a good idea…I like it and am going to use it. Thx

Wear gel inserts in your footwear, and store IDs underneath.

1 Like

To funny and kinda sucks I have those now with orthopedics in my shoes. I have bad planter Planter fasciitis.

2 Likes

If I were a perp and going to commit a robbery I would take there phone so they wouldn’t be able to call the police.

4 Likes

Phones are certainly an extremely popular item to take in a theft or robbery

Any ID or permit that goes with it now they have your name, picture, date of birth, address, etc

And you better have a lock on the phone so they can’t get in

3 Likes

Oh those first few steps in the morn. Ouch! I hear ya.

3 Likes