License? Or Permit?

Just wondering - do you call your CCW a permit, or a license? My little piece of paper (from CA) is clearly labeled “License to Carry…”. Recognizing that other states may in fact issue a permit, here are my thoughts on the difference.

According to the dictionary, permit and license can carry roughly the same meaning, however permit seems more restrictive to me. As in “I have a driver’s permit” - meaning I don’t have a right to drive unless with another licensed driver, etc. OR’ “I have a driver’s license” - meaning I have a right to drive any vehicle for which I am licensed at any time UNLESS I violate the law.

To put it another way, when I hear (or even find myself saying) “carry permit”, it smacks of continuing to ask permission - will you permit me to carry today? But to me, saying “carry license” subtly suggests I have chosen to follow the law to exercise my 2A right to keep and bear arms for whatever legal purpose I may choose.

Ii could be just semantics, and may not mean much in the larger scheme of things, but for me at least - I have a Concealed Carry License.

5 Likes

My “permit” is because my constitution gave me a “license”

7 Likes

In CT here, it’s a permit, and I feel it permits me to carry, cc anywhere or open (depending on town)…not has me asking if I can carry. Legally, it allows (permits) me to follow laws of other states offering reciprocity. I also have the Utah permit, which permits me to legally carry in 32 states. No question; permission.
2A would be my defense going through the communist states bordering my communist state…and just perusing the reciprocity map once again further confirms my need to gtfo this region…'nuther road trip in the RV come Sept…back to looking for our retirement home in a free state.

5 Likes

Never really thought about it. Mine is labeled a permit.

5 Likes

@Fred_G & @GrandpaDoc9 Ya’ll sparked a thought. Doctors medical license, no matter what they are a doctor and wether it’s at home, in the car, or in a frame on a wall failure to honor that license holds consequences. LEO are Licensed peace officers, witnessing criminal activity and failure to honor that holds consequences. Permit to carry a concealed handgun, individual is permitted to but they are not Obligated to. Person is fully permitted to engage in the privileges of licensed individuals, permitted their choice to do.

3 Likes

These are just words…
We use License and I like it.
Imagine James Bond carrying “007 Permit” :zipper_mouth_face:

Here’s the most known CCL in IL:

7 Likes

@Jerzees Those look way better than ours in Louisiana!

5 Likes

In New Mexico, it’s a “Concealed Handgun License.”

4 Likes

Not stating anything fact just a take-on brought in though.

2 Likes

In WI. :us:

5 Likes

TN. Says permit

3 Likes

Don’t care either way I have a couple. Good enough…

3 Likes

and in 11 days will say “no longer necessary” :star_struck:
Congrats on living in a free state, Lu-Can.

4 Likes

Nice! That’s clean @BRUCE26

4 Likes

Appreciate the post. Thought provoking. Now that you mention it, I do like the phrase “I’m licensed to carry”. More meaningful, sends a message I feel. Pride, respect? I like it that I have them, as opposed to permit-less statehood. JIMHO. Have four of em.

2 Likes

LTC in Texas. So we say license.

1 Like

KY:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts. Jerzy is right - permit and license are just words, and with the roughly the same definition no less. There is a governing authority that issues whatever it is called, and the end result is the same regardless of the word on the little piece of paper, or plastic, or whatever else may be used.

I will say that most every picture above looks nicer, and more “official” than what I have here in CA. It is just a piece of paper with the Sheriff’s signature, my name, information and signature, and the weapons that I am licensed to carry.

Thanks again for your input.

3 Likes

@mattm My only thing is will we still need to show permit if stopped since a lot of permits has been issued?

2 Likes

I would doubt that, but good to have for your reciprocity states anyways.
Got to say it felt good to legally carry in 7 of the 9 states we drove through last month.

3 Likes