Out of state concealed carry permits

Just because, I’d like to get permits from the more challenging states…for the scrapbook. I’m thinking NY/NJ/CA/MD/MA (used to live there, unpermitted)/DC/CT/IL…whatever I can while they have to supply them.

Can anyone provide some guidance on what might be generally required? I live in NC and have a CCL.

Is this a silly exercise?

Looked into CA since I have relatives there. That was a nope.

3 Likes

I have heard of out of Staters getting permits in MA. I know in CA it is pretty much impossible unless you bribe the Sheriff though technically there is an allowance for getting a permit if you spend a significant amount of time working in CA and can show good cause. It’s going to take awhile and likely more court challenges for this new ruling to change things.

The best place for the current requirements is the USCCA Reciprocity Map.

It will be hard for those states as a non-resident, especially since the SCOTUS ruling. My guess is the restrictive states will stop issuing to non-residents.

2 Likes

If you check out their laws, you will find these states will likely only issue permits to permanent residents.

3 Likes

There’s always PhotoShop…for the scrapbook!

6 Likes

Great use of that clip and great movie! lol

4 Likes

I suspect that most those states already do not issue to out of state residents. But why would they be allowed to stop or continue to not issue to out of staters after this ruling? The ruling affirms that people have a right to carry outside their homes. That right does not stop at state lines.

3 Likes

It seemed like many dragged their feet issuing, now they seem to have 60 days. While the iron is hot and all.

Imagine my delight if I could get a license for these blue places…

2 Likes

While I agree that we should be able to, it was noted in the ruling that states can still set their own criteria and requirements in order to obtain a permit. All this ruling did was tell the states that they have to issue a permit if a citizen meets those requirements and they cannot require you to give a reason to carry. It also does not change reciprocity with states accepting other permits so I’m guessing these states will all remain only accepting their resident permits.

4 Likes

This looks like you are asking for opinions.

Mine: Yup.

4 Likes

LOL!

I just ordered favorite sticker from my youth. Save the Whales. Collect the Whole Set.

At least I’m sticking to a theme.

3 Likes

I agree that they will not change their reciprocity and suspect that they will try and continue to deny out of staters the right to carry. But the ruling clearly states that individuals have the right to carry outside their homes. Two justices in the majority said that states can make their own reasonable requirements in line with other shall issue states. But only issuing to in state residents while not allowing reciprocity for out of state license holders is an intentional effort to deny a constitutional right to a group of people who otherwise would meet their requirements. It is clearly contradictory to this ruling.

Though I am sure it will have to be argued again in court to force the anti self defense states to comply. I have to spend a fair amount of time in sketchy places in CA and very much want/need to exorcise my right to defend myself there. I’d be willing to try and be a test case by applying for a CA license if any lawyers are willing to back me up.

2 Likes

Forget NY, quite sure they’re having a hissy fit at the moment and they’ve made it all but impossible to get an out of state permit as it is. NY is the gauntlet I run on my RV trips, PA as well, so life starts in VA when I’m out, having FL and Utah. MA, you can do it, I’m in CT; to get the MA permit we have to take a class local, but go near Boston to get the permit in person. $100 a year I believe and a trip every 5 years. One state away, not worth it to me. CT, not so bad, but be prepared to wait…and wait.

3 Likes

Scrapbook idea

2 Likes

@Brad ,
This is the document which is updated from time to time. Its last version is from April/May 2022:

3 Likes

I don’t think there is any way for anybody to have any idea at this point, assuming it even becomes actually possible.

But, that won’t stop me from trying/pretending!

1. A permit in your state of residence
  2. Ability to physically travel to the state you wish to get a permit in, and time to go through the process including possibly 16 hours or more of in person training, in the state where you want to get the permit.
  3. Money to pay for the required training (possibly 8-16 hours over and over for every permit, in that state) and to pay for the time/travel/missed work.
  4. Requirement to qualify on the test with the serial number of the exact gun you will register to your permit to be able to carry it
  5. Ability to redo this process every two years
  6. Willingness to wait up to a full year for the permit to be issued, after going through the process.

Based on what currently exists in shall issue states

And if it’s easier than that, be happy. But also realize that the above is supported by a lot of “I support the Second Amendment” gun owners and carriers so it will be pretty easy to set and keep it like that

Be grateful 25 states have passed Constitutional Carry. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yea around here , Utah, resident or out of state, it’s pretty much send money and wait 59 days…

I thought you had to find an instructor certified specifically by the state of Utah and take their class to be eligible?

1 Like

Yea that’s about the only inconvenience involved. The class has almost nothing to do with firearms. It’s pretty much a study of the law and they show you how to fill out the papers. Some also do finger prints.

1 Like