Resident Permit needed if Non-resident state permit covers it?

Specifically, MO CCW is new state of residence after 20 years is SC. Have current Resident SC (renewed last year) and Non Resident FL permits. Are there any advantages with the added expense of obtaining a MO Resident permit if MO is reciprocal with FL? Yes, I know my SC permit is not valid as soon as I obtained residency in MO.

All opinions are welcome.

3 Likes

Welcome brother Len to our family

2 Likes

Thank you. A Pemier member for 10 yrs but never posted before.

3 Likes

Missouri does not require a CCW if you are otherwise qualified to carry. I still keep mine since I travel into Arkansas frequently. I recommend reading up on our carry laws as well as use of force laws. They are very gun owner friendly.

What part of the state are you in? And welcome to the Show Me State aka hillbilly heaven.

3 Likes

Thanks. Am living north of KC, having grown up in the area. Retired now and lived in SC for last 20 yrs. I have to surrender my longtime SC resident permit but have nonresident FL. If resident MO gives me some creds with local LEO, I will consider the extra expense. I’m 70 and the whole process is such a pain that I want to avoid it if everything else is equal.

4 Likes

I carried a non-resident Penn license for a few years (long ago) before moving over to MO’s. There is something to feel regarding LEO creds. It does play out somewhat. Come from a family of LEO’s. Nothing black and white legal, just you are perceived as one of the “show me state” residents, a local, not a visitor passing through. Just how it is. I live in one the most conservative 2A counties so you would be good either way. Some of MO’s counties are nothing like where I reside. Plus there are quite a few states that don’t honor/reciprocate non-resident permits. You may not plan to travel in the USA much but if something comes up a non-resident permit might leave you out in the cold. My .02

4 Likes

A non resident permit would be fine, if you live in another state, except that IF you have moved your residence address from your original FL non resident permit’s location, you’ll need a new non resident permit to carry in any state that requires one. Technically speaking of course…

Example: My AZ non resident permit has no address on it for anyone to see. But legally speaking, my AZ CCW permit is no longer valid if I move to anywhere new since it was approved.

None of that applies if you’re moving to a new state that has constitutional carry.

3 Likes

The one advantage to having a resident CCL is that some other states only give reciprocity to resident permits. For instance, SC does not recognize non-resident permits issued by Florida.

3 Likes

Thank you. Good catch.

2 Likes

Missouri is a permitless carry state as well as a shall-issue state.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/mo-gun-laws/

However, @MikeBKY makes a great point about the non-resident permits.

3 Likes

I should also note that Kentucky, while it is not very significant since Constitutional carry was passed, does not recognize a non-resident CCL for a Kentucky resident. I know some folks who had Indiana non-resident permits (they worked in IN) but live in Kentucky and were surprised that their permits were not technically valid in Kentucky.

KRS 237.110(20) (a)
A person who is not a resident of Kentucky and who has a valid license issued by another state of the United States to carry a concealed deadly weapon in that state may, subject to provisions of Kentucky law, carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky, and his or her license shall be considered as valid in Kentucky.

2 Likes