Transfer My CCW

I’m planning on moving to full time RV living and my question is:
If I make my new residency in a new state but my current CCW doesn’t expire for another year do I need to immediately apply for a CCW in my new state of residency or do I wait until my current one is close to expiring?

2 Likes

One of the requirements of my CCW which may or may not apply to you is to immediately inform the County of any change in residence.

3 Likes

Yep, I talked with my neighbor who works for our Sheriffs dept, she stated they update my current location with them until it expires as long as I stay in NV, then when it expires I renew in the county I end up in as my residence.
What if I end up in AZ or UT, can I take my current CCW and have it transferred to those states without starting from scratch?

1 Like

I believe that most States would not recognize your NV Resident CCW once your official address changed to another State. But you would have to check with each State’s rules to confirm this.

Maybe you could switch your NV license to non resident? Though I suspect you would need your new address and new State drivers license to do that.

4 Likes

This is going to depend on the state you currently have your permit in. A great recourse is the USCCA Reciprocity Map. You can click on the state you currently have your permit in and scroll down to “License Information” a little over halfway down the page. You will then see a box for Recidency change laws.

You can find our reciprocity map here: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

1 Like

This will also depend on the state that you apply for a new permit in. Some states may accept your current permit as the required training, some may require you to take their course.

2 Likes

Get Utah. It’s easy, relatively quick, and is honored in a lot of states as the map will show.

1 Like

I was trying to look up the AZ info online with no luck. Thanks @Tim_D_USCCA for pointing me back to the USCCA reciprocity map. Should have looked there first.

Sounds like your NV permit would count as AZ training and you could start the AZ permit process now as an NV resident then just change your address to AZ if you choose to move there. According to the info AZ does not differentiate between resident and non resident permits. Maybe NV is the same?

1 Like

That may be. I know when I applied for the AZ permit, they accepted my Wisconsin permit as proof of training.

2 Likes

Sounds like as long as some form of training is required for your current permit they will accept it. I moved to AZ from a permit free state over a decade ago and had to take a very basic training class. Though it looks like now they also accept hunter safety classes as “training”.

Now AZ is also Constitutional Carry but but their license is still a good one to have especially if you are an AZ resident. I’m gonna have to take a Utah certified class some day so I can get a Utah permit and add Washington to my reciprocity list.

1 Like

I also took a UT nonresident when I first applied for my CA permit.
CA Non-reciprocity? No problem when I travel to select states.

1 Like

I have had a Missouri CCW for nearly 10 years and now that I am a Kansas resident I have to take a Kansas CCW class to apply for the Kansas CCW. Sheriff’s department told me they are non-transferable. I don’t have to have a CCW permit in either state but it is great to have in case I get pulled over. Just handing the officer my permit makes things go a whole lot smoother.

2 Likes

Aspects to consider:

1. There are now 22 Constitutional Carry states, so having a CCW/CHCL/Permit for reciprocity is still a good idea fo the other 38.
  2. A few states accept reciprocal permits only for a resident permit, not a non-resident permit. See https://handgunlaw.us.
  3. Do not expect every law enforcement officer to know the details of their own state’s permit and reciprocity laws. A number of years ago a Fairfax County, VA, police officer arrested a NC resident who was carrying and said so after a traffic stop, for not having a VA permit. The driver had a NC permit, which was (and is) reciprocal in VA. The officer, his supervisor, and the magistrate were all unaware of the reciprocity; it took months for the NC resident to be cleared.
  4. As an RV traveler, interactions with LEOs will probably be smoother if the state who issued your driver license also issued your carry license. They will also be likely to want to see the same home address on both documents.
  5. While the UT permit is quite widely accepted in reciprocal states, you must hold a license or permit from your state of residency in order to obtain a UT non-resident permit.
  6. Check the rules and laws of the issuing state for your state of residence and any other state’s permit(s) you hold. Some may require that a new address be changed within X days of your move. Some may require you to obtain a local permit as a new state resident within a specified number of days after changing residency.

Enjoy the RV travel life.

3 Likes