How to retain CCW (CA) as a contractor that moves every 6-12 months?

Good day all and God bless. I wanted to reach out and see if y’all knew of a way to get/keep a California CCW permit when your job entails traveling (I move around as a travel nurse like every 6 months; family uprooted and it’s joining me each move).
I got a CCW permit but was asked to turn it in when I moved out of the county.

Thanks and stay sharp.

2 Likes

I don’t know that there is, if you’re constantly moving your residence. In the states I am aware of (not CA apparently), you just update your info when you move within the state…but when moving out of state you generally forfeit you old carry license when you become a resident of the new state (probably when you switch driver licenses, which there is a time limit to do, generally, after moving).

And then you have to wait for the new state to issue.

Maybe only move to Permitless/Constitutional carry states? Get a non resident Utah and/or Florida and maybe that helps, but, most states that require a license to carry require that residents of that state get that license.

3 Likes

Is there a state where you can establish residency and get your CCW (preferably one with wide reciprocity), then consider all other moves “temporary”?

3 Likes

I believe you lose the privilege when you change residence, particularly outside the issuing county.
No way around it if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Cameron1 and God bless you. Did you confirm that you had to turn it in. Is it written any where in the CA gun laws? Agree with @Nathan57 to move to a constitutional carry state.

1 Like

Thank you Nathan57 , God bless and Merry Christmas

3 Likes

Are you moving within the state or other states? Also maybe look into a non resident permit from Arizona or Florida.

1 Like

Ya, I am moving within California.i appreciate your response.

1 Like

Well, the non resident licenses won’t work in California. Best advice I can try to give is to stay in rural counties. They are usually far better at giving a license. One other thing to try is to talk to whoever that counties permit investigator is. Not the issuer but the one who does the legwork and let him know you have had CCP in California in other jurisdictions. They may be more prone to give you one since you have had one more.

2 Likes

In the communist state of Kalifornia you do have to give up your license if your permanent address changes out of the issuing county. What might be possible (talk to the issuing authority) is for you to establish a “permanent” address in the county and have “temporary” addresses for when you are moving around within the state. That will depend on where your “permanent” address is and the issuing authority.

No out of state license is recognized in Kalifornia. You must have a California CCW.

1 Like

CCW permits are issued by the State through County SOs or City PDs, so depending on the agency this could be an issue. I’d get in touch with the California Rifle and Pistol Association

Whatever lunacy California can dish out, the CRPA has likely already dealt with and can probably point you in the right direction.

1 Like