Where's best place to carry gun license/permit, in event you get robbed outside your home?

Not a bad idea. The main issue I see with losing your FA IDs is that they know where you live, they know you have guns, and they know at least right then that you’re not home.

5 Likes

Three things.

1. I carry my CCWs, debit card, credit card, driver license, emergency contact in pouch around my neck. Sometimes, I carry the pouch in a shirt pocket.
  2. I do that for heightened security, and…
  3. I do that so that I do not reach to my hip if I were asked by a LEO for ID.
4 Likes

I did something similar to this when visiting Guatemala awhile ago except I wore the neck strap around my waist tucked into my pants along with the wallet. Had a wallet with a days worth of cash, a copy of my passport and some expired CC cards and an expired drivers license in my pocket. Considering going back to that method on my next visit to CA.

For around here I just carry a credit card and some cash in my throw down money clip and keep everything else in my wallet in a separate cargo pocket.

1 Like

Good point about carrying throw down cash.

4 Likes

I carry a seperate concealed carry permit wallet in my back left pocket . It looks almost like the ones the Police use . Also my Credit cards & Debit cards are all in my front right pocket with my cash enclosed in a carbon fiber faraday cage type device that blocks criminals from scanning the cards & using their info for ID theft My actual wallet has just the basics in it a Drivers license , a few pictures (I have duplicates of ) nothing that I can not easily replace . I know my DL # BY heart it is committed to memory so I can get by without it need be for a few days until I get to the DMV . Always plan ahead for success. 2 is 1 & 1 is NONE

3 Likes

I live in Louisiana and after having my wallet stolen at Mardi Gras a few years back, I went to a small rdf wallet, holds 10cards and has a money clip. That now lives in my front pocket by my CCW. I only use my back pockets for things I dont care about losing.

4 Likes

It would be the least of my worries if I was robbed but you can always keep a copy of your license number in your phone or car etc

3 Likes

I just got my DC permit in December and found out they just switched to issuing a pdf image of the front and back of the card for both the carry permit and pistol license. They give you the option of printing them or carrying it digitally on your phone. So I got an app called Folio and added all my permits on that. I still carry the cards since I’m not sure whether the other states would accept the digital but I’m sure it’s better than nothing if the cards were ever lost or stolen.

3 Likes

When traveling I always take my drivers license and my CCP and put it in my shirt pocket. If I get stopped I put 1 ID in each hand and put them both out the window. That way when the PD approaches he will see both hands and will know I carry. Last thing I want to do is say 'yessir I have a gun and now I am going to reach for my …(fill in the blank with anything). If he wants to see my weapon he will have to ask and then watch me 2 finger it.

4 Likes

There’s some good things to think about in this thread. Thank you!

I’ve honestly never carried any ID anywhere but my wallet. I do have a photo of my IDs stored on my phone, just in case.

3 Likes

That works.

One thing about that, just don’t say the word “gun” at all. Even if you do for some reason need to verbally notify, use a different word, like firearm.

6 Likes

Thanks. Now that you mention it, that term does convey “responsibility”, and in such a moment, such calm is prudent.

4 Likes

Lots of good tips, thank you ladies and gents.

Think I’ll look into a separate thinner wallet just for my permits & ID’s only, for front pant pockets.

Some states’ permits fade easier than others, I have mine in a plastic pocket - shielding from sweat, friction, wear/tear.

I’ll double check to ensure I have photographs of “all” of my ID’s on my home PC and phone; Might even help remind me when I gots to renew.

USCCA may have a renewal reminder ap on their website.

Best.

2 Likes

You conceal carry and are afraid of getting robbed? It’s a joke right?

2 Likes

Carrying a gun doesn’t mean you can’t get robbed?

9 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Frederick48 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Regular wallet in front pocket with general cards and cash, carried only when I know I will need items in it.
Small leather zippered coin purse in back or cargo pocket, slightly larger than standard cards, carried at all times, with the following items:

1. drivers licence
    1. carry license
    1. health insurance card
    1. military ID
    1. one credit card
    1. 2 $20 bills

The small one is flat and thin so does not cause my spine to go out of alignment when sitting on it. The full wallet is always carried in front pocket to avoid spinal misalignment when sitting (search for walletectomy) and also to reduce pickpocketability.

3 Likes

Great many a tips Craig_AR ! :smiley:

I know we are not supposed to put our life in jeopardy for objects, personal possessions, but for all we go thru to obtain our permits, I like your idea of having it in separate stow area on one’s person.

When one studies muggings, I noticed often times, a thief will themselves pat down and put his fingers in the victim’s pockets. We may not always be carrying/CCW, get caught off guard, or lethal force might not always be required, thus appreciate your “food for thought”.

I was astonished to hear the high number of car-jackings of recent, in some larger cities. I was reminded by an officer, if a burglar gets the drop on you, how having a NY wallet can help. I don’t like how cargo pants look “so military-like”, but love having those extra pockets for the ergonomics and comfort.

2 Likes

Often times I carry a throw away if I’m in an area that might put me in a higher risk, ie. traveling etc. I usually (nearly always) carry a backpack so I would often put my ID’s etc. there, along with my extra ammo, flashlight, phone etc. Going around town, they’re in my wallet

4 Likes

Throw away wallet in back pocket. $10 in small bills and all the worthless wallet-size cards that come in the mail. Cash, DL, CCW, insurance card, CCs, and other “real” stuff in a carbon fiber RIFD expandable card carrier in front pocket.

3 Likes