Where do you carry... your phone?

In another topic about where to carry a knife ( Old Dog Learns New Trick), we were talking about where you carry your phone.

A lot of people carry their phone, knife, and firearm on their dominant side.

When I did the Proving Ground I learned the hard way that I can’t draw my firearm and be on my phone in my right hand at the same time. I’ve started carrying my phone in my left pocket instead now. That way I don’t have any jumbling to do when I have to call 911 if there’s an incident.

That took a lot of practice! I’ve had a cell phone longer than I’ve carried so it took a long time to get used to using my phone with my left hand.

Where do you carry your phone when you’re carrying your gun? Why?

4 Likes

This looks like an interesting holster option, however it doesn’t look like it’s large enough for a lot of today’s phones.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/tuff-products-ituck-phonefirearm-holster-concealed-carry-excellence/

2 Likes

I’m left handed but have always used my phone with my right hand. So when I started caring I really didn’t have to change anything.

2 Likes

When I’m not packing(rare), it’s on my dominant side out of convenience. When I am packing, non dominant. A lot of the time, it rides in a shirt pocket. Yeah, I fully understood man shirts now.

3 Likes

Gun, magazine on 9, 10 o’clock, phone on 3 o’clock.
Phone cannot be on the same side, too many confusion.

2 Likes

Lefty, right @Jerzees?

1 Like

The sad part is my phone is right next to my extra mag in my jean pocket. :cry:
I don’t have a fancy holster…

1 Like

Of course :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is why I decided to have magazine pouch next to holster closer to appendix. This way I have whole other side available for phone pouch.
I don’t care which hand grabs the phone.

1 Like

@Dawn I like the idea of the iTuck as told from the article. Urban Carry has a leather rig in three sizes which is the inside the belt leather system, but it doesn’t have the exterior pouch. I’m not so hot on Cordura in a possible high friction area though.

Usually, my cell “mini-tablet” ( ! ) these days is in the off-hand back pocket in my jeans or slacks or chest pocket/sleeve pocket on the shirt. (If not more often meaningfully in that hand, ‘doing things.’) I’ll usually have a Bluetooth earbud (or pair) online and can multitask telephony with various application commands.

If I really need to operate, the phone can go into a pouch hung under my shirt around my neck.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see this topic as I’ve noticed my phone has been making contact with my firearm when I carry AIWB on my dominant side. I’m going to start working on switching that over after reading everyone’s comments,

3 Likes

I used to carry my phone (flip phone/Blackberry) on my right hip @ 3:00 and my pistol at 4:30. Now I have a “smart phone” and it goes in my left front pocket. Knife in right rear pocket with wallet. Left rear pocket, smokes and a mag. Right front, Too many keys and a lighter. If in a construction zone or helping the boys, the wallet stays in the Van and a roll of tape goes in the right back pocket, tool pouch on the left at 3:30. Often times I am prohibited by the customer from carrying on site. That said I often carry a Husky Tool back pack for my I-Pad , keyboard and a bunch of tools. Just Say’n.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Over shirt, left side, use right hand for phone.

1 Like

Weapons on my right (dominant) side. Knife front right pocket, firearm right at 3 (owb) or 4(iwb) and occasionally baton at 5.
Gloves at 6 cat at 7.
Phone in left front pocket, light, wallet with credentials in left rear pocket. Spare mag(s) on left hip. I liked my duty belt with a dual mag pouch to the right of the buckle facing left but it’s not practical in civilian attire.
Never have 2 tools you would use at the same time on the same side.

2 Likes

I’ve kept my phone in my left hand/side for the last 8 or 10 years.
Keys are usually in my right hand/side.
light is left
tactical pen right
knife right
pistol right,
spare mag left.

1 Like

Knife inside the left front at the side seam edge of the pocket, clipped on the front of the pocket.
Phone in the left shirt pocket, if I’ve got an overshirt, or left front pants pocket.
Firearm appendix right. Extra mags apendix left.
Keys front right.
Nothing on the back or in the back pockets.

Right handed, left side belt clip beside my spare mags.

When I’m at work, my work phone is clipped to my belt right side as it’s in regular use…

1 Like

Niteize belt holster on weak side. I started doing this because my phone was too big for pocket carry and it blocked my strong side pocket which I access frequently for keys, pens, multitools, etc.

Although the Niteize holster doesn’t allow for this, my other phone holster was open in front so I could turn the flashlight on and it would illuminate where I was walking while in the holster and hands free… Kind of like a headlamp for the waist.

1 Like

My phone is in my left back pocket. I am right handed.

2 Likes

I used to carry my phone on dominant side but started re-training myself to have it on weak side.

2 Likes