Old Dog Learns New Trick

It is a modestly warm Fall day so I decided to shoot some 1 & 1s from my cc glock 43. Something I’ve done thousands of times in the past 40 years. However, I recently started carrying a folding blade pocket knife in my left front pocket ( same place I keep my 2nd mag) Needless to say I tried to reload my 43 with the knife several times. Lesson: Move knife to the right side.

5 Likes

I keep my EDC knife my off hand back pocket and the extra mag(s) in the front I like myknife to be I. Myoff hand so my dominant hand is free for my firearm

2 Likes

My dominant (right) hand tools stay on my right side. Handgun on hip between 3 and 5, knife front right pocket. Light and cell in left front pocket, spare mags in a mag holder on hip and credentials in wallet in left rear pocket.

2 Likes

Good set up. I dont carry a lite but I think I’ll start. I’ll still keep my 2nd mag in my left front since I’ve trained so much from that position. I’ll put the lite in a holder on the left side positioned towards the back a bit.

1 Like

I have to ask; how accurate did it shoot the knife? :rofl:

4 Likes

I have to ask the reason why keeping a knife on the off hand side? Are you going to be using your knife at the same time as your firearm? I’m not sure about everyone else but I suck at handling a knife correctly and in my mind safely with my off hand. Sure I can practice but there’s just something about a folding knife in my left hand that just never feels right. I’m of the opinion that if the tool is something that needs coordination it goes on my dominant hand side.

2 Likes

Resulted in a major malfunction.:crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

I only carry the knife to cut the string on my hay bales. I put it on the left side just to keep it out of the way of my keys. Really didn’t put much thought into it, but that’s why I train often. Better to find the problem on the range than during a bad situation. I would suck at knife fighting…better to use my run foo.

2 Likes

Run foo lol. Knife fighting is definitely an art form and one that takes quite a while to master. I’m no master either by the way.

If it works for you is all that matters. I was just curious as to why. It’s always good to learn different perspectives from as many people as you can.

2 Likes

On a serious note, I am right handed and carry knife in right rear pocket with spare magazine on left hip.

4 Likes

Why on the same side as your firearm, @MikeBKY? When I did the Proving Ground I learned the hard way that I can’t draw my firearm and be on my phone in my right hand at the same time. I’ve started carrying my phone in my left pocket instead now. That way I don’t have any jumbling to do when I have to call 911 if there’s an incident.

That took a lot of practice! I’ve had a cell phone longer than I’ve carried so it took a long time to get used to using my phone with my left hand.

3 Likes

I am right hand dominant so all defensive tools are on the right side. Cell and light on left so I can use them while using my right hand defensively. And I agree, it took a lot of practice to put my cell in my left pocket. On duty, radio was always on left but off duty your cell was your lifeline. It is now second nature for me. And I actually carry 2 wallets. One with credentials always in my left rear pocket that can come out and be held just above the head with the left hand in case i have a weapon in the right and cannot safely put it down because of the circumstances. The other has credit cards and cash that is in my back right pocket.

2 Likes

@Lacy

The reason I keep my knife on my off hand side is this; If my strong side is ok I will be using my firearm. If I cant get to my firearm with that hand then something must be wrong with it so I will need to be using my off hand.

Hope that made sense.

2 Likes

If I’m cutting apples, I will pull it left, open it left, and switch it to the right to use it.

If I’m in a clinch in a self defense situation where I can’t draw my gun (right), I’m drawing the knife with my left to use to get me a bit of distance, or to create some distracting pain, so I can draw with my right. That’s why it’s on the left

I’m not a knife fighter, and I dont mean to be in knife fights… just to break a clinch or get a couple feet distance. My run foo is pretty limited … bad knees.

3 Likes

Usually… I keep a knife in front right pocket, flashlight (small but mighty Olight S1R Baton) in the front right coin pocket, keys in the front left, wallet in the rear left. I carry my firearm appendix at 1230-ish and that keeps me fairly balanced. I struggle with keeping a spare mag though, and if I have one it goes in the front-left with the keys ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

I’m left handed so I carry my pistol on my left side with my multi tool behind it and carry my light, cell phone and extra mag. on my right side my knife is in my watch pocket or pants pocket.

1 Like

If I’m ever involved in a fight for control of my firearm, the hand on my holster side is going to be very busy trying to retain control of my weapon - by pushing it back down into its holster and/or wrestling with the adversary’s arm. I plan on pulling my neck knife or boot knife with my non-dominant hand and inflicting as much pain as possible on my assailant until the fight is over. That’s why my knife is off-side carry.

3 Likes

@Phil3 that sounds right to me

2 Likes

Pretty much the same as me, with a little variation. I carry my Pistol in my right from pelvic area, when I can. This has become the most difficult part for me. I don’t like wearing heavy clothes, except in winter. So summer Carry is a problem and I carry a small 38. It will fit in my pocket but still too bulky.

1 Like

Welcome @Jason46!
… yeah summer concealment can be an issue.