What every day habits have you had to break yourself of since you started carrying?

Example: Myself I’ve had to teach myself not to carry items in my left hand (groceries, etc) if I can help it.

1 Like

When I first started carrying back in the early 90’s it caused me to reconsider a lot of aspects of how I lived my life and I made the decision then and there to try and avoid or de-escalate quickly remove myself from any sort of even verbal conflict that had any potential to get out of hand realizing that should I ever be involved in a use of force situation while carrying I absolutely have to be a complete angel and demonstrate I’d done all I could to avoid/remove myself from the conflict at the start.

6 Likes

Its changed where I park, in case I need to lock my gun before I go in to a place… don’t need to be seen doing that while I’m seated in the truck.

3 Likes

I hate pulling my pants up often. I’m kinda pear shaped and the belt has enough trouble getting a good grip. Add a weapon, spare ammo, folding knife and maybe a proper torch (flashlight) and I’m the kid with my pants almost to my knees, underwear demonstrating how badly I need to keep my junk cool. So, that’s my thing, I hate fiddlin with my waistline: makes me nervous, makes others nervous.

1 Like

I decided to stop flipping people off that cut me off in traffic. Overall I am more polite and try to avoid any confrontation that might escalate into something more serious.

5 Likes

@CHRIS4 maybe suspenders would be a nice addition to your look :smiley:

2 Likes

Aye Zee they thoroughly do! Folks even make them with alligator clip like thingies which do wonders grabbing hold of my jeans. My favorites are checkered flags; which I religiously wear during a particularly good Formula One season.

Since I’ve retired though, I really have to up my game. I’ve got a few thousand dollars of suits and accoutrement to go with and the suspenders! Oh, the suspenders!
…n e way…
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Suspenders. Cahrartt makes both casual and “working man” suspenders that are great.

2 Likes

Had to move my iPhone/belt clip to my weak side.

1 Like

Had to move keys and knife out of right front pocket. Keys hang on a belt loop (wife hates the look) and knife to right rear pocket. Gun either goes in OWB that blocks right front pocket or goes in right front pocket (occasionally). Don’t prefer pocket carry because it is harder to draw and muzzles anyone in front of me when seated.

2 Likes

Yeah, the pocket thing… normally I would carry my phone in my right hand, but now that hand has to be unoccupied. That means phone has to go in a pocket, so it’s now in the front right. And that means my knife has to go in the front left.
Not entirely happy with the results, still working out a way to have a pocket knife on the right as well.
I’d carry a fixed blade on my right belt, but some places I am, it’s not legal.

1 Like

@TX_M When I started carrying we had pagers and flip phones. I found them to be excellent devices to break up the “print” of the front sight on my right hip. I don’t do the belt thing for my phone anymore, I’m a left front pocket guy. That said if I found a decent “pouch” I might go back to hip carry.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Back pocket on the right? Been carrying mine there since the 90’s and my first Spyderco.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Well, for now I smoke cigarettes. I used to smoke right handed, now I’m using my left hand. To top it off, I’m also working on weaning myself from them. I still keep my knife and keychain (is a kubotan) on my strong side. I occasionally carry a flashlight with a shocking personality on my right side, too. I try to keep a small flashlight on my second strong side, along with a Laser Light and my cigarettes (for now).

1 Like

Moving wallet to right side, if I carry at 7 or 8 o’clock. Hard to get out of pocket then.

1 Like

My iPhone is so large that the belt clip seems to be a more practical option. Frees up my pockets and even on my weak side it guarded by that arm

1 Like

For a long time I carried a folding knife in a soft belt pouch that I made for it out of the tanned hide from my first deer. That kept it handy while still being able to move it around to accommodate other things I needed to carry.

1 Like