What's the most unique long gun you've shot?

I will. My range unfortunately is only 100 yds. But still fun.

1 Like

My Uncle has one of those 22/410 over/under Air Force survival rifles from the 60’s

1 Like

@RocketPak that’s pretty darn cool! how does it shoot?

@Zee shoots fine for what it is.

Whenever someone wants to shoot it he gives it to you in the case that it stores in and you have to put it together before you can shoot it.

1 Like

niiiice! :smiley: I like it @RocketPak

Those are incredibly hard to come by today and were fantastic combo guns for their intended purposes. I’ve never shot one but I’ve been fortunately to handle several.

Be kind to your uncle and perhaps one day you can have a real part of history.

1 Like

@WildRose he was in the Navy and got it from a pilot when he got out.

1 Like

Yep, makes perfect sense. It was the Navy that got most of the Hornet models. For some reason the AF got most of the .22lr models.

The wise FARCS and ground support guys swapped and traded for the Hornets.

1 Like

I guess the most unique for me is my Grandfather’s Stevens Favorite Model 1915 22LR with full octagon barrel.

1 Like

Very nice, hard to tell from the angle but is that a rolling block or falling block? We have had 3 of the 1905-08 rolling blocks. Never fire even modern shorts in one unless you want to be chewing on powder and brass with the rolling block.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know anything about rolling and falling block designs to comment except the internet descriptions almost always call it a swinging block.

“This type of rifle action is known as a pivoting block type, or swinging block, since the breech block is pivoted on a pivot screw in the mid section of the receiver. Upon activating the lever, the breech block pivots, or swings down to expose the chamber.” Stevens Favorite Rifles | Wisner's Inc

However I have found one site, http://cfnparts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1014 , that calls it a falling block, so it must be a falling block :slight_smile:

My son will be inheriting it, just as my Dad inherited it from his Dad, and I from mine. I wrote a 2 page document for my son last year detailing this specific gun’s history.

1 Like

Though not old or unusually unique, how about my Henry American Eagle. Whitewashed walnut is pretty unique I guess.

1 Like

Well the falling block works when you work a lever underneath similar to how a “winchester lever gun” works.

The rolling block works on something of a half moon cycle and you cycle it with your thumb.

The rolling block is one of the weakest and most dangerous actions ever develped while the falling block, (Think Ruger Number One) is the strongest, safest and most reliable.

1 Like
1 Like

Here is the Remington Rolling block .22 I inherited a 1908 and 1906 model and I think it was a 1911 model we bought to use for parts to rebuild the other two.

The 08 was actually the rifle my great grandfather used to feed his family for several years. They were so poor he would literally buy bullets one to five at a time from the hardware store at times.

Raised 9 kids though in an old prairie dugout in NM.

1 Like

One of my all time favorite rifles.

1 Like

Thanks, the videos are interesting.

@WildRose your Great Grandfather sounds a lot like my Father-in-law. My wife says she thought everybody grew up eating squirrels, rabbits, turtles, alligators etc. :smile:

My Grandfather was a farmer in Alabama, both grain and animals. This gun was mainly used to harvest pigs - drive them into a chute and one shot turned the lights out. My Dad told me stories of my Grandfather shooting dove sitting on top of the tin roof barn with this gun. I’d say he was pretty confident of his aim, that or he was confident he could repair it.

By the time I came along we would clamp a light on the barrel and shoot rats with “rat shot” at night in that same barn. Dad always warned me not to take a shot that could go thru the tin roof, or puncture an oil can, or, you get the point . Guess that’s where I learned to always be sure of what was behind my target no matter how fast it was moving.

2 Likes

Night hunting for rats with .22 shorts was not only good practice, it kept us out of trouble.

Norway rats had pretty well taken over the area because of all of the feedlots and were creating a real heath hazard so we came up with lots of creative ways to deal with the vermin.

One of our favorites was just to flood them out of their holes and shoot them with shotguns!

2 Likes

45-70 black power. And it’s good at 100 yards.

2 Likes

I shoot the equivalent of a 45-110 load in my inline 50 cal Muzzle Loaders using 350gr 45 cal sabot round.

That’s quite a “bang”.

Never shot a BP cartridge 45-70 but have been shooting an 1895 Marlin since the 70’s using smokeless.

1 Like