What's the most unique long gun you've shot?

I have my Great Grandfather’s Winchester model 12. Built in 1929, I’m the 4th generation to own and hunt with it. Someday I’d like to get it reblued, give it some extra life for my son. The receiver and barrel all look good, the stock’s still solid but has some deep scratches and gouges, but those are just stories as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes

Modern rifles? Barrett M82 .50 cal and M200 Cheytac in .375 Cheytac.

Antiques? Two old British double rifles in .500 and .600 Nitro Express and original Paradox Guns in 10 and 12 bore. The PD’s were essentially rifled shotguns that could be used as either a shotgun or rifle with just the swapping of shells. They were designed specifically for British aristocrats Hunting in Africa in the 19th century.

A close friend runs arguably the largest and most interesting gun shop in South Africa so when I’m over there visiting I have an unlimited supply of very interesting opportunities.

1 Like

I started my US Army career as a 13A switched branches when I could to an 11A.

2 Likes

Are those officer Career designations? I’m unaware of either the 13A or 11A for enlisted personnel.

1 Like

@WildRose I was a Army officer First as a Field Artillery Officer then I switched branches to Infantry as an Officer 1969 - 1986

2 Likes

Ahh, that’s why!

My Dad was an Artillery officer as well, he commanded the only nuclear capable battery in Europe for a while. He served in both 8" and 155mm units.

We actually have pictures of my brother and I sitting on the “big gun” tube at different times somewhere.

He was a battery commander for the unit sent into reinforce the Berlin Brigade during the crisis as well when the Soviets threatened to invade after closing off access to Berlin.

Took a lot of stones to make that run!

1 Like

Same here but in a M109.

3 Likes

I had a Schmidt Rubin. Wish I still did. Art work really.

1 Like

Also have Mosin Nagants. I love the old stuff. Great shooters.

1 Like

I absolutely agree @Bugleboy. Something about the old ones that just holds my attention.

I remember the 6.5 Schmidt Rubin had the pull handle on the bolt that, at least on mine, looked almost waxy. That one little part of that rifle I remember so clearly because it had such a beautiful finish.
Weird huh? It sort of reminds me of the finish I get when I carve in apple wood. Weapons don’t have these finished looks anymore. There are beautiful weapons today, but they’re in a different way.
Maybe this doesn’t make sense. But when I find details such as this in a weapon of war, it’s worth noting.
I’ll shut up now. Sorry for rambling.

1 Like

@bugleboy Totally.Get.It.
Absolutely totally get it. I know the finish you mean, exactly. And the feeling.

Trying to figure out now how to get a 300 Wby Mag barrel for that Glock 22. Too much maybe? Yeah maybe. Short barrel. Wouldn’t target so well with half the cartridge hanging out the barrel I reckon. It would look like the old Rat Fink hot rod artwork.

1 Like

I did learn how Weatherby Mag shooters get sighted in so quickly when I bought a 20 box of ammo. That must actually be a 14k ring at the base of the cartridge.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl: Ok, THAT’s funny :rofl:

A little off topic? But this deal on a long gun today makes this a unique long gun. I bought an AR from a police officer from our area. The more we talked, the bettet things got. Big Drago double bag with the big outside storage and three pouches. The rifle has very nice red dot and other add ons. Maybe 500 rounds of ammo. 12 magazines. Bi pod. And more.
I was happy with just the rifle and bag at the price.
Unique long gun, but I haven’t fired it yet.

2 Likes

The slide would probably stop about a hundred yards behind you after passing through your head so I probably would avoid it.

1 Like

WBY shooters for the most part either don’t worry about the price or they learn to reload quickly.

1 Like

Wildrose, humor me.

2 Likes

Let us know what you think of it when you get a chance to fire it, @Bugleboy! Can’t wait to hear about it!

1 Like