What's better than Hoppe's 9?

Breakfree is great. Used lots of it when I was an armorer…

And, @Dawn, what is wrong with Hoppes 9 cologne?

2 Likes

With a splash of gun powder :rofl: :crazy_face:

1 Like

CLP works awesome as well as a few others…having the right pics and brushes seem to make the difference when cleaning as well.

6 Likes

Always liked the smell of hoppes 9, coffee when you open the can, zippo lighter fluid & cigarettes when 1st opened. There’s something to be said about all that.

3 Likes

Liberal Tears. After Trump wins there will be plenty of it about.

6 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I use the Hoppes Deluxe Kit. I used it for the first time on my .38 Smith & Wesson. It seems to work great!

I’m new to owning a gun and new to the USCCA community!

I really appreciate all the community here and everything im learning from you all.

Much love to you :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Welcome to the family!!!

1 Like

A good old fashion hot soapy bath then a light coat of oil

2 Likes

1 Like

Oh… I thought that was just part of the experience… I’ll start cracking the window :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Hoppe’s #9 BORE CLEANING SOLVENT is not the same as OIL… it seems many here are getting the two confused.

CLP is a watery slurry I was introduced to in the USAF and I don’t care to have that stuff near my iron.

Somebody else called out Mil-Comm TW25… uh… that’s not bore cleaner, fellas… that’s a light grease/heavy oil… that I do use… on my rails. But on the M1, that’s too wimpy, so I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease for the oprod and bolt lugs. Everything else gets light oil.

#9 works wonders, but you have to be patient.

When I get home after the range, first thing I do to the rifles and pistols shot that day is swab the boreswith #9, and let it soak. I like to do this while the bores are still hot/warm. I point the rifle a bit barrel-down, and squirt s’more into the chamber. After 20-30 minutes, this river of blue/green starts coming out of the muzzle, and I put a shot glass to catch it. While that’s going on, I go tear down the pistol, leaving the wet bore for last. When I’m halfway done with the pistol, flip rifle upside-down, angle the barrel correctly, and squirt s’more. More copper comes out. When I’m done with the pistol, do the rifle.

You have to leave #9 in the bore for at least 10-20-30 minutes (depending on how much copper is in that bore) for it to work. And I found the 1911, the lede to the rifling, that area just in front of the chamber – that has get good and properly soaked in hoppes else you’ll never get all the powder residue out.

Hoppe’s also makes a light oil, like remoil. But #9 bore cleaner is not an oil or lubricant of any kind.

The smell is embedded in my brain since the first time I shot and cleaned. I was 8.

1 Like

Nothing is better than Hoppe’s 9 these days… Oops!..or should I say, nothing is bigger… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I’ve switched to CLP for my rifles. I’ll use CLP to clean guns going into storage for awhile too. Handguns I use hoppes. My rifles run well with lots of lube, my handguns I prefer to control the gunk that gets in the gears a little more.

To me, CLP smells nauseous.
I have spent too much time in the arms room at a USAR center cleaning M-16s and M-60s
Give me Nitro Solvent ( Hoppe’s or Outer’s) anytime.

I’ve been using shooter lube for about 6 months now. I haven’t had any issues with it so far. Best part is my wife doesn’t complain about the smell anymore.