What's better than Hoppe's 9?

I prefer Outer’s Nitro Solvent.
It smells just like Hoppe’s but I have a brand loyalty thing about Outers Nitro Solvent which I picked up from my dad.
Hoppe’s is easier to find though…

I have been using only CLP and Hoppe’s gun oil. It’s kinda what I started with. Should I switch to some other cleaner? Is CLP not getting all of the stuff out?

2 Likes

CLP is good for frequent use and quick apply. It shorten maintenance time. But like all other universal stuff it’s not a perfect solution.
You can keep using it, but it’s good idea to use bore cleaner from time to time.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Jerzees!

2 Likes

Outer’s Nitro Solvent—just like Hoppe’s

I love Shooter’s Lube! It works GREAT and my wife let’s me clean and lube my guns inside in front of the TV because there is NO ODOR!

1 Like

I have been using Z-max for the inside of my bores for a few months now, and seems help cut down on fouling, also use Molly(for my pistols on the rails. Yet for all out cleaning of course, Hoppes

Every time I open Hoppe’s 9 instantly brings me back to Childhood and shooting with my father

2 Likes

Squelch Grease…
Best stuff there is for almost everything
But I’m all out so now it’s CLP, Hoppes, Sweets, Bore Butter, and Brake Clean in some cases.

1 Like

Ah, but a schnauz full of the aroma that is Hoppe’s is half the fun!
It conjures up autumn pheasant hunts with dad, the rifle range at Boy Scout camp, all those memories :blush:

4 Likes

Man I’m old, Eds Red & ballistol.

1 Like

I have been using only CLP and Hoppe’s gun oil.

:smiley:

2 Likes

After almost 2 years of testing everything… I DON’T CARE anymore… :smiling_imp:
Even water and Orange Industrial Hand Cleaner worked for me… :grin:
I went back to any degreaser plus Ballistol or Mobil1. If the firearm is really dirty - Hornady One-Shot cleans EVERYTHING.

3 Likes

I have always had Hope’s and just recently started hearing about Gunzilla. Do you have a preference between the two?

2 Likes

I love Hoppes 9 combo of bird cleaner and lube. You can buy it anywhere and it’s cheap.

CLP works well, but I find it easier to thoroughly hoppes bore cleaner.

I don’t care to try the more expensive stuff.

2 Likes

Hoppe’s 9.

A bottle of pleasant memories and some gun cleaner too.

“priceless”

2 Likes

:+1:
Agreed. At the very beginning I was thinking the price did matter… but not … I do not care anymore. Cheap is good if doesn’t harm my skin, lungs and firearm’s frame.

4 Likes

@Laurie23. I will suggest to check Internet reviews. @Zee has been absent for a quite long and you probably won’t receive a response.

Anyway, I’ve heard about Gunzilla as well and done research about it. The product seemed to be OK… however I’ve found a few information that it gums up firearm’s action and even it’s “environment friendly” it can degrade some finishes.
So as you can see… Hoppe’s 9 wins here. :v:

1 Like

Very helpful thanks! I have always used Hope’s and have plenty of it… so will probably just stick right with it!

2 Likes

For most cleaning I still use Hoppe"s No.9, it was in my Grandfathers and my Dads gun cabinet so it’s good enough. :+1:

2 Likes