What is your favorite fun-to-shoot pistol for the range?

Agree–I have a 5" with an RMR that is awesome.

2 Likes

My GSG 16 22 has taken the #1 spot from the Ruger SR22. Everything else I shoot sparingly.

:v:t5:

1 Like

Thanks for all of the input everyone! Most of these I haven’t heard of, but I am new to this game and will be looking up all of them. BTW, my CCW license came in the mail today! I’m very excitied!!

7 Likes

I have another question. My 686 .357 came in a hard case. It is bulky to take to the range. Is there any reason not to use a bag instead?

2 Likes

Congrats on the carry permit. The world needs good guys with guns.

Depends on what you mean by bag. If your throwing it into a big bag loosely goosey with other things that could be bad. If your talking about a range bag designed for a gun, that’s fine.

There are many bags that have a compartment for a firearm, those are fine. You want the gun by itself, in a compartment where the trigger will never get anything caught on it, and the gun isn’t swaying around.

I carry a range back pack that has pistol pockets in the side, I’ll often put the gun im going to shoot there for the day (empty and usually holstered to be extra safe).

The other way I often carry is a hard case put into my back pack. I pull the hard case out of the bag and put the hard case onto the range booth table and go from there. (You can get a hard gun carrying case for less than $10 at a big box sporting store… at least before the apocalypse started :joy:). They also have pistol pouches for like $7. You could put it in that and then put it in your range bag.

It’s not really a big deal, just make sure the gun is empty and it has its own compartment by itself. Also, make sure you pull the gun out at your booth where you will be shooting. You don’t want to be pulling a gun out behind everyone else at the range. Gun comes out on the booth and put back from the booth (sorry if I’m preaching to the choir :grin:)

There might be other answers too. I could see this being somewhat subjective and dependent on your ranges rules.

5 Likes

.357, I really enjoy shooting that! I love the bass sound and the fireballs!

4 Likes

I wasn’t specific, my bad. I meant a soft sided pistol case, not a handbag. Yes, I know the booth-only rule at the range. Thanks for the input. I wasn’t sure if the hard-sided plastic case was because the gun requires additional protection.

2 Likes

Gotcha! Sorry to be preachy, I never know on the internet if someone’s unfamiliar with range etiquette and what not.

I’d imagine that would be fine. I’m sure it’s a better environment then if it were on you being carried. I’m not sure if pressure on the cylinder from a soft case would be bad.

I shoot tuba-ware, so I’ll let a revolver guy answer :grin:.

1 Like

Not preachy. Appreciate ya’all looking out for each other. The only time I’ve ever taken my gun out outside the booth is when I’m comparing it for another new purchase, and I always ask first.

1 Like

I store my pistols in pistol rugs from DuluthPack. Safe and really well made. These can be locked with luggage padlocks, lock goes through a brass ring and then through the hole in the zipper. I put the pistol rug with pistol inside into my range bag. Have a big range bag that holds 4 rugs and a small bag that holds 2. These are expensive but very worth the money for me.

These pistol cases are sewn by hand, one at a time, in the USA, at their production facility in Duluth, Minnesota. There is also a retail store in Duluth. Plan to visit the next time you are in Duluth. :laughing:

1 Like

I bring one bag to the range for handguns. Each firearm is in its own rug. Everything ni the bag can do what it wants without damaging anything.

4 Likes

My favorite to shoot on the range is the gun I bought for my son. Smith & Wesson model 19 357 Magnum. It’s super fun to shoot 38 specials out of it. Virtually no kick and you can just bang bang bang all day.

3 Likes

@Robert100
Feel free to send it to me to try out. Getting one is not as easy as I hoped. I love the 22mag. Right now I have in in a Wheel gun. Most fun to shoot hands down.

2 Likes

Yeah @BeanCounter, 1911s are easily some of the best shooters out there. Back when I had my vintage National Match Gold Cups, I was always amazed at how easy they shot.
They were so much fun. Few people consider plinking fun can be had with .45 ACP…unless they have tried a decent 1911.
Good call!

4 Likes

I do like a Kimber Micro 9 too. It’s small and concealable but also can be fun fun on the range…almost broke into song there, didn’t I?

3 Likes

I wish I still had almost every gun I’ve ever owned. I’ve had some nice ones to pass through my hands. I do enjoy my range shooting. Lisa Douglas (Green Acres) would have said “shoosting.”

1 Like

I love shooting all my M&P pistols because they all feel like full size handguns. Their natural point of aim, the way they feel in your hands, the ergonomics, yeah it sure is fun shooting them.

3 Likes

Nice piece of hardware brother @Ken38 :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Try Rural King if they are in your area.

1 Like

GSG Firefly. Reliable, zero recoil, and shoots cheap ( … or at least used to be cheap) .22 LR. I can plink all day without sore wrists and without a light wallet.

1 Like