What is the precedent for 2020 election?

@MikeBKY interrogative God forbid anything happens to President Trump, (my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family) the Vice President is sworn in and becomes the de facto president per 25th amendment.
At the polls President Trumps name is still on the ballot. On the night of November 3rd President Trump wins overwhelmingly, does the Vice President, now sworn in as President, in fact win the election for the next four years?
Thank you in advance

8 Likes

Under the 25th amendment, if the president dies, the Vice President becomes president and he can nominate a new VP. If the VP also dies the speaker of the house becomes the president.

If the president is sick and cannot perform his duties, he notifies the president pro tempore of the senate (Senator Grassley) and the speaker of the house and the VP becomes acting president.

If the president is ill or otherwise unable to fulfill his duties, the VP and a majority of his cabinet must notify the president pro tempore of the senate and the speaker of the house and the VP becomes acting president.

As for the election, that is a different story. The Republican National Committee decides who the replacement candidate will be but the ballots will still show Trump/Pence and Biden/Harris.

The 20th Amendment says that the VP elect becomes president elect if the president elect dies. But it is not clear when the candidate truly becomes president elect; after the votes are counted; after the electoral college votes; or after the vote is certified by congress on Jan. 6.

16 Likes

In other words, we need to prayā€¦ MORE. :pray:t3:

11 Likes

If Trump is ok. No one wins on 11/3, mail in are counted, probably a recount, everyone sues, scotus involved, if Barrett gets in prevents a tie. If not. Hmmmm

4 Likes

Correct except for one fine distinction: the Speaker of the House is only in line to become ā€œActing Presidentā€ - not the President. Iā€™d bet that ā€œyou know whoā€ thinks about that every single day, and already has a detailed written plan for parlaying that into full Presidential power pending a full court press to get herself voted into that office in the next Presidential election.

1 Like

Welcome aboard!
In addition wouldnā€™t it be more appropriate to ā€œtear upā€ that part of the constitution, just the same way the State of the Union was?
Iā€™m no soothsayer, but I guarantee that if they win, the 25th amendment is instituted the moment his hand leaves the Bible!

1 Like

Mail in cheatsā€¦ .errr I mean ballots, will be counted and demanded that all be counted no matter when the are mailed, so that on 19 January 2021, the results may finally be announced.

2 Likes

Have you seen that there is already talk of impeaching Justice Barrett?

1 Like

The phrase that brought me to a stop? ā€œā€¦to pack the Court with extremist ideologues who would deny the public rights.ā€

Yikes.

I havenā€™t read The Independent before, but I can see why it slipped past my radar. Its heading states ā€œā€¦truly independent journalismā€¦ā€ I am saddened to see how the English language is bastardized on both sides of the Atlantic.

1 Like

And Coons, who should be ashamed for allowing his 13 year old to be pawed by China Joe Sniffums, and apparently be on video with Hunter on the laptopā€¦ says Trump judges should not be allowed to sit in peace.

And they are supposed to be elected office holders.

1 Like

When the MSM was threatening that Nanny could take over I found this comforting. Iā€™m going to repeat another post I made:

Take a few moments to listen to this (starting at minute 36:00):

Only three dates matter:

November 3 - By law, all votes must be cast.
December 14 - By law, all electoral college votes must be cast or the default state will lose their ELECTORAL votes.
January 20 - By law, inauguration will occur.

1 Like

All of those dates represent law abiding citizens, it does not represent those that donā€™t give a damn about the constitution. They are sick people and have stooped to the lowest levels possible! They are prepared to ā€œburn it downā€, no questions. Are we as prepared as they are?
Congress may not accept anything that involves Trump winning! We are in the worst of days, which I hope turn into the best of days. Furthermore, doing the right thing is illegal!

1 Like

@Scott52 ok sunshine, just stating Federal Law. Iā€™m not going oogah-boogah over something that hasnā€™t played out yet. Soap box, ballot box, jury box then ammo box. Still watching ballot boxā€¦

2 Likes

No ones ever called me that!
There was a time during the 60ā€™s when I felt this way, now thereā€™s a darkness that hopefully gets cleared up by one of those dates.

Ainā€™t no sunshine when sheā€™s gone
Itā€™s not warm when sheā€™s away
And sheā€™s always gone too long
Anytime she goes away

Wonder this time where sheā€™s gone
Wonder if sheā€™s gone to stay
And this house just ainā€™t no home
Anytime she goes away

And I know, I know, I know, I know
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know
I know, I know

I think Bill Withers is referencing ā€œsheā€ as ā€œfreedomā€

2 Likes

6 Likes

We seem to be forgetting that there 2 houses of Congress and the Executive branch that are on the ballot. If the presidential election is contested, as it has been before, the House and the Senate may not be and they will be sworn in and the potential for a new Speaker of the House and Senate will be the ones in play. The down ballot ticket in this election is AS important if not MORE important than the Presidential election. A land slide and a straight red ticket following such is the best hope we have, the next best is Pres & Senate. If the Senate falls and house stays the Prez will be impeached and removed from office in the first 30 days and that will continue for 2 - 4 years unill and unless control of the Senate is returned to Repubs. If the Senate falls Pence better have a list of VP nominations vetted and ready to go and quite frankly they will need a list as well.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

@Craig6 Been keeping a close eye on elections for both House and Senate. Trafalgargroup.org has some good tracking info. Best we can do is hang onto Senate to maintain some balance. 33 seats are up for election. I hope Dan Gade has a chance here in VA.

3 Likes

I must sayā€¦ this time around, there are a lot of Trump signs. Even saw 4 houses that had Trump signs, with one Biden sign in the middle that allā€¦ ALLā€¦ had Clinton signs in 2016.

Also went up to Fredericksburg to visit family and saw far more Trump signs, and yesā€¦ lots of Gade signs around hereā€¦
The weird thing, I see more Biden signs in Franklin ā€¦ the Moonshine Capitalā€¦ but Trump signs still out number them.

I am hopefulā€¦ but NOVA and the Hampton Roads area will probably push Biden along.

3 Likes

Iā€™m one that thinks (as Newt Gingrich does) this will be a TRUMPSLIDE (LANDSLIDE) win. I really believe most Trump voters and even democrats for Trump simply hold their peace, cast their ballotsā€¦and move on.

Donā€™t let the media fool youā€¦thereā€™s no way the polls are right. People arenā€™t liking how all these democrat cities are allowing mayhem to prevail, destroying businesses and looting, and defunding their police butā€¦ weā€™ll see.

3 Likes

Today I hear the Supreme Court upheld Wisconsin election law by declaring all ballots to be counted must be in by 8PM on Nov. 3. No late ballots will be counted.

3 Likes