What have you added to your workout aimed at shooting?

I’m 58 and have let myself go a bit in the past. Last year I underwent weight lose surgery and have lost 120 lbs. this has me refocusing on my physical health. I have been undergoing physical therapy for my back and shoulder which has me focused more on my upper body. I decided to add biking for cardio since it doesn’t aggravate my back and am now up to 5 miles a day. Recently I decided to add two exercises aimed at improving my shooting and gun control. The first, is kind of a chest press where I hold a 5 lb., weight in a modified gun grip between my hands and press out from my chest moving from a high ready to a presentation and back. I repeat this in two sets of 15. I also added a grip exercise where I squeeze a tube of foam rubber as tight as I can holding it at arm’s length. Again, I repeat this in two sets of 15. I’d like to know if any of you added exercises specifically aimed at improving your shooting skills and if so, what have you added?

8 Likes

Chest press won’t help much with with handgun control, although push ups will help to keep you in shape.
Exercising grip strength is a great idea. These are couple of examples of easy training:

1. if you have a rope with 1" - 1.5" diameter hanging somewhere, you can simply grab it and get your feet off the ground and apply your weight to your hands. Once you become stronger, pull your feet up to your arms
  2. grab 2" diameter pipe (make it heavy) and do reverse curls
  3. bring 20 lb dumbbells up and down bending your elbows only. Keep them the same vertical position as you grip your handgun
  4. find any shelf or furniture which levels to your chin or arms. Grip your EDC handgun and press out (it has to be done with the same strength as you shoot live ammo) then touch the top of the shelf with handgun’s frame rail and press it down for few seconds.

The point is to make your flexor digitorum profundis muscle strong.

If your grip is strong, anything else is just good technique.

2 Likes

When I commuted to work, I used these. Red light, right hand, Green light, left hand. 47 traffic lights each direction!
Now I can open coconuts with my pinky! Just kidding!
LOL It requires pinky and thumb!

Now just following cardiologist instructions of taking it easy for a while. Dry fire, stationary bike, walks ( on the beach :sunglasses:…) gardening. BB gun, Colt Defender, in backyard target practice along with draw from cover, moving on and off the “X”.

7 Likes

Sounds like you are doing what you need to get yourself back on track @BlackHawk

I had some medical issues back in November that I am still building back from. Not specifically fire arm related but I have a one hour/week workout/Krav Maga session. It’s one on one so along with working out my weakened muscles I can practice weapon disarms and creating space to get to my own defensive tools.

I also use the grip strengtheners @Scott52 has above. It’s taking awhile to rebuild my strength and muscle memory. My accuracy is still pretty decent but my speed still needs a bunch of work to get back to where it was. Reduced grip strength is affecting my recoils control a little bit.

3 Likes

@Scott52 what are those grippers called? They look very intense.

2 Likes

It looks like it might be this:

5 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

It’s great to see that you are working on your physical health more @BlackHawk. I have also started holding a 5-pound weight in my hands and pressing out and back to a high ready position. I had shoulder, wrist, and elbow surgery in the past that still gives me a little bit of trouble, so I am constantly strengthening it.

I have also added cardio in the form of running, bike riding, jumping on a rebounder, and battle ropes. I am not a heavy weight lifter, but I will use my dumbells and kettlebell to maintain physical strength.

4 Likes

3 pound dumbells, use them doing a boxing routine. 20 pound dumbells, high rep, curls presses, “floor to ceiling” which works the back and thighs, other full range of motion reps with these. Rotate wrists, wrist forward, wrists in , wrists back (like a curl).Pushups, good for getting through rifle/shotgun sessions dealing with recoil. I was running a lot, but foot and knees have me back to bicycling, though think I’ll get back to the track up the road for the summer., where a normal routine is 3-4 miles running, and 100-140 pushups and crunches interspersed…Now at near 63, got myself an ebike, out daily, pedal hard some days, twist the throttle on others. A day after a good workout, my shooting will suck…but after a rest day things are good.
Been splitting a lot of wood, price of oil an incentive. As mentioned, almost 63, I find the focus and discipline of shooting complements that of fitness quite well, and am glad I pushed myself all my life, Retired and active was my dream…and I made it…subject to change at any moment I suppose :rofl:
Good on ya’ for getting in gear. There’s so much living to do that you can only do by being in shape.

5 Likes

@Shamrock >> good going > now only 450,000 people know your into Krav Maga,

3 Likes

@uscca Just got started with archery again. I can pick off anybody that trespasses in my yard ; I think we have a no discharge firearms ordinance in my town so this is a good idea…
WILL USCCA COVER SELF DEFENSE WITH A BOW :question:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mistake my current level of skills and physical abilities for knowledge and capability on the subject. But maybe if all those people think I know it they’ll think twice about messing with me and my family:)

It was my prescribed physical therapy by my cardiologist. Just following doctors orders:)

6 Likes

@Shamrock

PS: hurts so good.

5 Likes

Just open carry your axe >> good to go. ( but not in Walmart ).

5 Likes

In the USCCA training app there is a course in the Protector Academy titled Maintaining Your Firearm Skills a 2 part series. It will definitely help if you add it as part of your workout.

3 Likes

:grinning:
Which is not a bad idea.
The muscles used for carrying axe… or shovel, rake or any garden tools are the same we use while forming a good handgun grip.

4 Likes

Yep ; I just started archery back up. By the time I got all the stuff out it was a workout in it self. The old Stallion ain’t what he use to be. Some of my compound bows are 70 lbs. but now in starting back up with a nice
lightweight recurve. I’ll take a pic latter to show it ( should put in let’s see your new gun ) I’m always in trouble anyway. Topic Smopic.

5 Likes

Actually, you can get these on Amazon as part of a set: individual finger exerciser, + foam grip ball, + hard rubber grip ring. Word of caution on the finger exerciser - if you pull a finger off the spring too quickly the retainer will fly across the room ala a 1911. The strengthener shown in the photo has adjustable tension, ranging from “wimp” to “Holy $hit”. Worth every cent.

5 Likes

Will it work with six fingers :question:

2 Likes

You would have to improvise.

3 Likes