What skills are you working on right now?

What skill are you currently working on in your training?

1 Like

Not stovepiping on the new Canik :woman_facepalming:
Less grip fidgeting, more repeatability
Sorting out my left/right eye swapping on open sights

2 Likes

Is it still stovepiping, @Zee?

1 Like

75 rounds through the gun so far, of the last 50, 4 stovepipes. Iā€™ll clean and oil it tomorrow morning and put another 150 or 200 rounds through it at the range and see how weā€™re doing. The hubby said get 500 rounds through before deciding if I need to make an adjustment on the spring. I modified my grip a little and that seems to have helped, plus Iā€™m working on better wrist stability.

3 Likes

Wrist stability can be the key with some guns, very true @Zee. Let us know how it goes.

3 Likes

My LEO experience is from the early '70s when the revolver was standard armamentā€¦I have zero experience with semi-autos. My training right now consists of verifying my sight picture, eliminating flinching, trigger control, and controlling ā€˜range anxietyā€™(nerves). I also dry-fire around the house, working on procedure, ā€˜just in caseā€™. I get to the range as often as I can, but a tight budget makes that option a rarity.

4 Likes

Thank you for your service to your community, @Henry_A! Do you still carry a revolver?

Dry-fire may not be a 100% replacement for range time, but it is definitely valuable for your training - and very inexpensive! Glad youā€™re training!!

3 Likes

Hi, @Dawn,
With the arthritis in my hands, I am guessing that I may not be able to pull the trigger on a revolver. My current EDC is a Taurus G2s in 9 mm. I do not have a way to measure it, but I am guessing the trigger pull is between 4 and 5lbs. This is much less than the trigger on the S&W ā€˜Combat Masterpieceā€™ that I used in the AF, which I swear was over 10lbs (and I was much younger then!!)

5 Likes

Glad youā€™ve got one that works for your hands, @Henry_A! Just in case you are looking for a BUG or additional carry, Iā€™ve heard really great things about the M&P 380 EZ from people who have arthritis and hand strength issues. It is a 380, but it is a reliable firearm that is easy to conceal.

4 Likes

With your arthritis, you might also look at a Sig 238. 1911 style single action trigger, and being in .380, a very easy to manipulate slide. It has a nice tall, squared off rear sight that can be used to rack the slide one handed if necessary.

2 Likes

My self defense training right now is concentrating on close, 10 to 12 feet, high speed shooting from the holster, if the range allows it, or else I hold it right beside my holster and try my best to mimic the exact motion that I would use to draw and then fire a quick double tap, no sights, in less than 1 second since thatā€™s probably all the time you have left to live if youā€™re in an actual situation that would require lethal force. Iā€™ve made the decision to only draw if Iā€™m prepared to actually fire, no hesitation, if distance permits, or the person freezes, Iā€™ll hold up, but one more aggressive move will likely be their last. Iā€™ve been carrying for over 14 years and have never even been close to having to draw and I doubt if I ever will, I pray I never will, because I know my life will never be the same, nothing good can ever come from it.

3 Likes

For me, my training is always about reinforcing the basics. I always ā€œwarm upā€ with slow fire drills that emphasize precision, trigger control, and grip. In between, I speed things up and work on good presentation from the holster. Double tap and transition drills at 21 feet are my bread & butter. Then, I cool down with the same drills that I started with. I try to attend the weekly pistol skill builder classes at my local range, which have helped me push my skill set beyond my basic practice drills.

^^^ This. Right here.

2 Likes

Trying to get my levels up to what they were in the service. Speed, Accuracy, and perfect common sense.

3 Likes

Awesome goals @Donald2ā€¦ and welcome to the community!
What are your challenges in getting there?

1 Like

Getting back in shape,lol, Firing only when needed, First Aid in all levels that I had in the service. Keeping in mind that handgun is second use after the mind. Finally never miss any target when it is safe to fire. Never hit what I donā€™t want to. Since I am not in the service I had to read and study federal and state laws when I found out that after some training some judges might consider me a lethal weapon even if I have no gun or knife. I guess that would be the lawyers part because too many personal opinions are not realistic to facts. Now that I am a 50 year old grandfather, I want to be realistic to the facts that I have to train harder than I used to.

2 Likes

Yeah, reclaiming that ground is harder than it looks!

3 Likes

Yes it is . Look at it with humor and it gets better. Like I told my daughter, NEVER LET DEPRESSION OR STRESS CONTROL YOUR LIFE!

3 Likes

Welcome to this great Community Donald2!!! Stress and Depression can kill you, never let it win!!!

2 Likes

I agree. The calmer mind thinks faster and more realistic. I have found this to be great mental training since I was in 2nd grade in school, and it never got a chance to be let go of.

4 Likes