What skills are you working on right now?

Thank you for your service Donald!!!

1 Like

Shoot single action cocking with your non firing thumb. This ensures a consistent grip and eliminates the problem with a heavy double action trigger pull.

There are smiths that can significantly reduce the long, heavy double action trigger pull as well but I like it as a safety measure.

I had to teach this technique to a fellow instructor at the LTC Instructor class last year because he had the same issue and weā€™re required to requalify every two years with both revolvers and semi autos.

1 Like

As counter intuitive as this soundsā€¦

Think slow, work fast.

Just like learning new physical skills where you work slowly through them to build muscle memory apply the same thinking to just about anything.

If you get excited and panic youā€™re likely to get confused or jammed up. Think your way though things in a stepwise manner and youā€™ll be amazed how much more cleanly and quickly you can respond in an emergency.

Keep calm, ā€œThereā€™s always time to make a good shot, but there may not be time to correct a bad first shot and follow up with additional shots.ā€

1 Like

as funny as it may sound, right now Im working on firearm retention. My biggest problem that im having is finding a ā€œsparringā€ partner. Ive got some good mechanics for retaining my firearm, but Ive got some new things I want to practice, but sadly they require someone else to execute them. Where do you find training partners ?

1 Like

Your nearest Dojo or MMA Gym would be a logical place to look. Anyone putting on self defense firearms classes would be another.

1 Like

My Tae Kwon Dojang did weapons training. Iā€™d definitely talk to a Grand Master at a dojang and see if theyā€™d be able to work with you.

1 Like

My hubby says this
ā€œYou canā€™t miss fast enough to make up time.ā€
It applies in competition, it applies in self defense.

4 Likes

Heā€™s right of course and the consequences for a bad shot in this situation can cost you your life, or an errant shot that might strike an innocent.

1 Like

Wow! Thatā€™s excellent.

3 Likes

Range report: heres the before and after on my walk back training
First target was from 5/25, 5 shots each at 3,4,5,7 yards, slow fireā€¦ about 2 sec per shot.
Second target from today, 5 shots each at 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 yds, 1 sec per shot. All shots out through 8 yards are inside the 9 ring except one low left flyer in the 7 ring. 10 and 11 yards are in the 8 ring and 12 yards are inside the 7 ring.

20190526_172625

20190604_204242

Does it have a feed ramp that might need polishing? And does it stove pipe will different ammo?

1 Like

I am working on a smooth straight back trigger pull.

1 Like

@Robert5 itā€™s less of a problem each time I shoot it, and Iā€™ve cleaned it several times. the feed ramp looks good to my eye, but I havenā€™t gotten a magnifying glass on it. It doesnā€™t appear to be ammo related, but ā€¦ trying a couple of different things to see. Since it doesnā€™t stovepipe for my hubby with his tree-trunk wrists and kung-fu grip, Iā€™m guessing itā€™s me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great, now this his how I picture your husband on the range:

5 Likes

@Dawn :rofl: :rofl:
Actually I was thinking this:
Screenshot_20190605-115106_Chrome
But you can just sub in Sam Elliott if you likeā€¦
Because this is what my hubby actually looks like:
Screenshot_20190605-115019_Contacts

1 Like

The skills I am currently working on are 1 a stop the bleed class 2 day to 1 day at your lock shock trauma. 2. An online certification in triage mass casualty situations,3) proper use of tampons in bleeding control of bullet wounds with a hemostatic agent (quick clot). 4)Obstruction shooting 5) firing from my back when carrying at the 4 and 8 o clock positions and cqb clearing techniques in My home. Additionally working on breath control,and shooting under stress.(fine vs gross motor skills resolution)

2 Likes

Nice list @Dr_Richard!

Looks like he and Chris Christofferson could have been brothers.

1 Like

Not a bad list but tampons despite rumor should be close to the bottom of your list of things to use to treat any penetrating trauma. A quick clotting agent and a maxi pad with pressure would be far better and would do less to create issues for the surgeon when he/she has to debreed the wound.

USCCA offers a very comprehensive gunshot trauma class that is very up to date.

4 Likes

@WildRose now thatā€™s a lineup I can appreciate!
My hubby has that Marlboro Man look. He lived most of his life in Los Angels area and worked at the studios someā€¦ he used to get asked for his autograph all the time. One evening a couple followed us all over Target, whispering behind their hands the whole time, before they worked up the nerve to ask. Who people think he is has changed over time. Tom Selleck, Kris Kristofferson, Sam Elliott, now that hes mostly gray, its Billy Connolly.