Weekly Target Feedback!

My first thought was man, the Range is going to be a beast to clean… then I realized you were referring to an outdoor range! Lol! At least I hope you are :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, outdoor range. That would be a crazy mess to clean in doors. Lol

2 Likes

This is a drill that I like to shoot at every range session. It really helps with precision and trigger discipline.20190424_133438

7 Likes

Are you a lefty, @Nathan? You appear to be consistently to the right just a smidge - any ideas why?

3 Likes

@Dawn - Yes, I am a lefty. I speed up on the larger circles, so I probably push the trigger a little. The small circles are tiny, so I am happy to just keep the shots in them somewhere lol.

2 Likes

@Dawn, A little bit higher and he or she won’t have any thyroid problems. In fact, they won’t have a thyroid period! Not bad. Good shooting. So are your son’s.

1 Like

@Steve-G, Looks like you weren’t shooting to kill the quarter… Just shooting to Stop the Quarter. LMAO! Good shooting!

3 Likes

fullsizeoutput_a00

@Dawn,I know that this picture is about a year old (April 18,2017) but I haven’t been to the range in a while. My wife had a serious fall in 2017 a while after this photo and broke her shoulder and fractured her pelvis in two places. She is still not 100% but she has good mobility and she wants me to get back to the range.

This target was the 6th group of 15 shots from my Glock G19 Gen4. Before this day, I hadn’t shot a pistol since I was in the US Navy from 1980-84.

Looks like I got my groove back.

EDIT: One correction: I actually fired a 9mm one time around 1986 when I qualified on the 9mm for an Armored Car Company I worked for. Other than that, I hadn’t fired any firearm until 2017.

2 Likes

Great work there. Well done!

Just a bit more on target practice. I enjoy using a 15+1 P320 Compact and 3 or 4, 2/3 size
human shape target, the more the merrier, I love having 10 magazines time to burn. I
run distances from 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards as hard and fast as I can. Accuracy test is a must
and remember this is not a speed drill, but see how good you are and if you fall short
and fail. You are a winner, because you work harder.

William Smith

Bill

2 Likes

That is exactly what I was thinking you might be doing, @Nathan! Knowing you might have a tendency to push the trigger, I’d love to see what happens when you adjust for the push.

You can definitely train to correct the push, but in a high stress situation you might still push - knowing that may help you be better on target if you ever have to defend yourself.

2 Likes

Ouch! That sounds incredibly painful, @NJStraightShooter! I’m glad to hear she’s doing better.

Does she shoot? If so, has she been able to do any dry fire training at home?

2 Likes

I’ll send you a PM on this in a while.

2 Likes

@Dawn - When I slow down, and focus on my trigger press, I can usually “center punch” my shots. As I speed up, like most of us, my precision starts to slide. However, I try to ensure that I meet certain objectives when I do speed up. For example, on the Consistency target that I shared, the objective was to keep the shots in the circles (breaking the line counts as a hit). I did that in all of them except the last one. When I was at the SIG Academy, one of the instructors saw my target and commented “Nice group, but that means you need to speed up now”. Of course, he didn’t mean to spray & pray, but that I needed to push myself more. Another little drill I do uses a simple piece of regular printer paper. I set it at 21 feet, and I will do double and triple taps. All hit must be on that sheet of paper. It helps to build speed while maintaining some precision and discipline as well.

3 Likes

I like other people’s stories and they are amazing to read about, but
there comes a day that stress, exhaustion, worried about something
at home, Respectfully you are worried about a sick love one. The bad distractions
of bad drivers, traffic, someone used bad language on you and you came
out as a hero; you walked away with mouth close and no emotion.

“God Forbid this from every happening” Your attacked and force to stop a
threat with a firearm and you were rushed by the threat, what would happen?

Stop the threat and you face the police and force to make more decisions’,
but you are a hero again. “BUT” What now, you are in jail for a short time
or until you contact the USCCA. “HOME”. This is only to think on and not
REAL and there are not any right or wrong answers to the questions.

Would you be able to perform on target when that threat pushed the last buttons?
Thank you for your hard work and I can only desire and train like you do.

William Smith

3 Likes

20190502_194431

This was a fun target that I shot at Nexus Shooting in Davie, FL this evening. The big hole in the head was 15 rounds of slow fire. The rest were double taps at center of mass. Only a couple got away from me. Shot this at 21 feet with a Gen5 G19 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice target, @Nathan. Don’t show it to @NJStraightShooter. :wink: He’s not a fan of zombies.

5 Likes

@Dawn - I don’t normally shoot zombies, but when I do, I make sure that they have a bad day! I also focused on not pushing the trigger to my right, and most of my shots seemed to remain centered on the double taps where I sped up.

3 Likes

Oh NO! Aaaaaahhh! RUN FOR THE HILLS! THE ZOMBIES ARE COMING!!! :rofl:

4 Likes

We are family here, we will protect you from the big bad zombies (rotflmao)

3 Likes

Okay guys, I’m know I need to practice more often but here’s my most recent visit to the range. 1st one is random target and somewhat rapid fire with my .45. Second is also with my .45 and 3rd is with my Springfield 9mm which I’m just not good with. No matter what I try I am always low left on target. I try taking my time, watching my trigger pull closely, etc. and nothing works. Any suggestions? I’m actually considering getting rid of the Springfield as I’m getting really frustrated with it.
Springfield%209mm

1 Like