Watch this and tell me what you think

5 Likes

This is a very different look at training, I was blown away because it makes a lot of sense to me.

4 Likes

It is very different but I just found what I’m gonna try next range trip. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Pretty interesting, might have to give it a try. I know one thing, when he said the difference with their training is they try to get the student to their potential in the shortest amount of time with as little ammo fired as possible I thought out loud “Pretty ironic that it took over 18 minutes of a 20 minute video for you to get to the point!” Haha.

2 Likes

Can’t write just LOL, but that was funny

2 Likes

I’m brand new to shooting. I dry fired and studied for almost 2 months before I even opened a box of ammo. I got pretty good at hitting a small electronic target with a laser, but the first time at the range, I was surprised at the level of violence involved in a real shot. I’m talking about the noise, the recoil, and the feel of the shockwave that hits your face. I don’t even know if that makes sense, but I sometimes feel what seems like a puff of air in my face when the gun fires. I still do relatively well on my groupings, but it’s not the sight alignment I struggle with. It’s the anticipation and my reaction to it that I mentally fight. I agree with this guy 100% and will definitely try out the very slow trigger pulls next time I go to the range.

1 Like

One thing I like to do is take up the slack in the trigger to just before the crisp firing. Most all my guns have triggers where it is easy to take up the “slack” and be right there for the firing of the gun.

Trmptr, Welcome to our world of shooting, for some it’s a hobby, and for some like myself, it’s a way of life. As a competitive shooter, we are at the range at least 2 times a week, sometimes 4 or 5 times leading up to a match. We reload our own ammo and try to teach others that want to learn. The concussion of the shot can vary due to what caliber your shooting, along with barrel length. What kind of gun are you shooting? I think to get over being trigger shy, using a revolver can really work well. A .38 witha 4” or a 6” barrel is awesome for this, load 1 round into the cylinder and give it a slight spin, close the cylinder but don’t look, please be safe while doing this. Now you take carefulaim at your target, and remember we’re the sights are if you can, slowly squeeze the trigger, you have no idea when you will have a live shot. It will give you the chance to aim and squeeze while in control of your actions. Everything you described above is normal for a new shooter, with practical techniques and a lot of practice, you can overcome them. I would like to know what your shooting for a first gun.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of doing that with a revolver. I like that idea! Between my wife and I, we now have 5 guns, but one is a Henry 410. My primary gun is a S&W 9mm M2.0. I do have snap caps that I could practice with, but I haven’t done that yet. What will eventually be my carry gun is a S&W Bodyguard .38. My wife’s first gun is a S&W Bodyguard .38 Special and I have shot that one some too. She has RA and I don’t think has a very strong grip and she gets bruised every time she shoots, so she’s picking up a new gun tonight. It’s a S&W .22 M2.0. I’m sure I’ll shoot it some just to see what it’s like, but do you think it has any value in training, or should I stick to my 9mm?

I believe everything has a place bud, there’s always something to learn, a .22 can be used to train with, just remember to also train with the gun that you will use as a CC. Get past the trigger shy with the .22 first. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Maybe I’m not trigger shy having grown up firing rifles and mostly shotguns.

@Steve-G see this is the kind of information I love. as an engineer, when we’ve got a failure the only way to correct the problem permanently is to get to root cause. if you understand why a thing happens, you can devise a way to fix it, or in this case, a method to train taking the autonomic response into account. THAT’s how a thing gets REALLY fixed. :smiley: Thank you for sharing this one :clap:

1 Like