Walmart Open Carry ban? Sort of... ban-ish. Maybe

This is interesting…
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/460652-gun-rights-activists-test-walmart-request-not-to-open-carry-guns-into-store?amp

Gun rights activists in Texas are testing Walmart’s request not to open-carry in stores by doing just that.

David Amad, the vice president of Open Carry Texas, told The New York Times the 38,000 members of his group have openly carried their guns inside Walmart stores since the retailer announced last week it is “respectfully requesting” customers to no longer openly bring guns into its stores.

He said none of the members who have done so have been asked to leave.

“They are ducking the issue,” Amad told the Times. “They are trying to get the gun haters to leave them alone, while at the same time leave us alone when we carry in their stores.”

A Walmart spokesperson told The Hill that employees are not instructed to approach peaceful shoppers who may be carrying guns in areas where hunting is popular. The goal is to maintain a “non-confrontational approach,” the spokesperson said, citing the language Walmart president and CEO Doug McMillion used in last week’s announcement.

More in the story link…

2 Likes

I think it is all going to depend on where the store is located and how strong the anti-gun movement is in the area. (I live 30 minutes from the state capital which is one of the state hot spots for stupid thinking and no common sense.) I have not tested this (and don’t plan to) in my area as there is a very strong anti-gun presence in my area.

I still open carry on my property when I am outside my house . I have had some good conversations with some of my neighbors. I can tell the anti-gun dog walkers as once they see me they seem to now walk their dogs on the other side of the street. I have had no confrontations just pleasant conversations with people.

3 Likes

My local Walmart told me to leave my firearm in my vehicle or leave the very day they inacted this policy since it wasn’t concealed. I hadn’t heard about it until then, at that point I said “well thank you for informing me about your policy and since I can’t conceal a full sized 1911, I just won’t shop here anymore” and wished them luck because a lot of us veterans wouldn’t stand for this.

4 Likes

I believe each Wal-Mart (add Kroger Walgreens …) will decide how they will handle this at each store depending on the demographic.

1 Like

My state (Kentucky) has constitutional carry laws. You can open or conceal carry without a CCW and it is not uncommon to see the occasional knucklehead walking through Walmart with a 1911 on his hip, usually with the hammer down. I don’t have a problem with folks that open carry but, why make yourself a soft target? I prefer that the guy with untreated mental illness not identify me as a threat. That gives me the advantage of assessing the threat and reacting with tactically correct action.

4 Likes

I personally carry my full sized 1911 in a shoulder rig, why? You try carrying a full sized 1911 concealed, it’s not really possible for me. I’m far from a soft target, and situational awareness comes into play.

3 Likes

Why, when much of America thinks we are all crazy white supremacist, would anyone want to hand a win to the anti gunners. If you’re going to any of the No O/C stores just conceal it. Let’s show them that we are responsible gun owners. Things will cool in time.

4 Likes

Brian_J

I don’t mean to suggest that a shoulder rig makes you a soft target. The guy that is open carrying draws unwanted attention to himself and could easily be the first person an active shooter is going to target.

I don’t think that anyone who goes the extra step in protection in the form of CCW insurance is going to be a soft target. Perhaps I should have called the open carry individual a obvious target of opportunity.

Semantics can make all the difference in a conversation and it can be difficult to discern the exact meaning of statements made in forums such as this.

Obviously, we are all advocates of concealed carry and have a common goal, to protect ourselves, our loved ones and, our property.

Stay safe and vigilant!

1 Like

I took no offence brother, don’t worry. In church with my sport coat and birthing the winter with a zippered hoodie I am concealed. And every place I go, as soon i enter a place i make sure to see where cover is and where all the exits are. That being said, I’m disabled thanks to MS, so sometimes I’m in a Walker or wheelchair. And because of this I’ve had to train extra hard in all aspects of carrying.

3 Likes

I don’t go into ANY store that infringes on my legal rights to protect myself or loved ones. I’ve sworn off Walmart (no big deal there) and one other business in my community that won’t allow me that right. Salvation Army had banned ALL firearms in their stores, so I won’t go in with my girlfriend when she shops for close nor will I donate any money to them.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate illness but, I’m glad to see that you have adapted and overcome despite the difficulties that come with MS. Drive on brother!

2 Likes

I’m with you on that. I won’t support businesses that ban firearms or advocate against 2A. I used to love Buffalo Wild Wings but they came out against 2A a few years ago and I haven’t been back. I get my hot wing fix elsewhere.

3 Likes

Check this out:

3 Likes