W T.S.H.T.F - Carry Position

Nor predictable.

2 Likes

I’m right handed and agree with 5:00 carry if your left arm is flexible enough to reach. It’s also good if you have to defend a close-In attack with your right arm.

I practice this but I’m realistic that I might be compromised if I’m in severe pain. Theoretically muscle memory is supposed to kick in but I’m not willing to have someone mangle my arm with a baseball bat to test the theory. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I guess no one could say that you aren’t prepared!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @John695 ,glad you could join us.

It is the subject of WHEN STUFF HITS THE FAN, you better carry well and be prepared. Be prepared, stocked, and be safe!

1 Like

If you pay attention to how you holster and don’t act like holstering or reholstering needs to be done as fast as your draw you break NO safety rules. There is a video out where an instructor shows this with a cutaway holster and simunition pistol and proves appendix is extremely safe if your not being an idiot which would apply to 3-5 o’clock carry as well. I’ll try and find the video and post the link.

https://youtu.be/JGU7HbgDIvE

1 Like

The problem is sitting position. :thinking:
But
what we are discussing here? I’m not going to prove that I’m voluntarily breaking safety rules. :zipper_mouth_face:

Ah, there you go. That’s the one I was trying to relocate. Danke mucho!

John Johnston also addresses the sitting “problem” — and that was in an ASP video.

I find the Ballistic Radio podcasts TLDR — dragging along to cover a five or ten minute point over the course of an hour. I think Johnston as an instructor/commentator has a lot to offer — maybe not superstar as an interviewer/producer (unless you have a long commute to fill).

I guess whatever people decide is what they should go with. Instructors have an obligation to contemplate what dogma they will impart to students, and how they present “controversy”.

1 Like

In some arts, to disrupt an attacker. Close the distance between you and them, someone with a bat or other weapon is going to expect you to move away, they wont expect you to close the distance nearly as much and such a movement can hinder the effectiveness of their weapon.

Granted, if somone has a bat in a setting where it would be unusual, they are not getting that close to me

1 Like

Nice reference article.

Like a boxer hugging his opponent, or a fencer moving in close so her opponent can’t stab her.

Not always a good strategy, but it’s an option if you can’t run away.

1 Like

What might you do to prevent somebody from getting ‘that close’ to you? Say, when they are not posing as a threat, they are just carrying a bat going from A to B, as far as anybody can tell.

1. Be alert. If I see someone with a bat, and they are not on a ball field, I will alter my route. If we are in “Yellow”, situational and behavior anomalies should be recognized and accommodated. 2.Keep your f#$%^&*@#$%&^Ă· phone in your pocket, briefcase, purse, etc.

What is my surrounding environment, am I near a field, or in town, what is the person wearing, what kind of shoes are they wearing, is their clothing appropriate for somone out hitting a few balls or are pants tripping them? Wearing a suit and dress shoes, what is their stance, how are they holding the bat? Are they looking at the ground, listening to music, focused on a certain area, looking around, do they look like they are on a mission, confident or casual stride, what time of the day is it, etc

There are a ton of factors that you can look at and get an idea of the person and possible intent

You can call out to the person, where are some good ball fields, if their focus is not on you, your probably going to catch them off guard, if it is on you, you will know and they will know you have taken notice of them

A person who innocently has a bat while walking will probably be able to rattle off some info to your inquiry quickly.

You dont have to go from a person with a bat out and about to instantly readying yourself, work on reading people.

mi two

2 Likes

Perhaps my question was not worded well enough

What would you do to prevent them getting that close to you? Say you ask them and they are still walking in your general direction while answering, how do you prevent them getting that close?

Seeing them, even talking to them, is great, but those things won’t physically prevent them from getting that close

2 Likes

Something someone told me once, on that topic, was to the effect of
if everybody is looking the same direction or at the same thing, consider looking the other way. Such a simple thing but I never forgot it after hearing it the first time.

2 Likes

Ideally, you shouldn’t have let them get in that first blow, but sneak attacks and other sh*t happen. Then the question becomes, “What now?” Definitely something to think about!

2 Likes

If your in public not much you can do accept cross the street or go in another direction.

In these time, you can start coughing hard and get a little flem/saliva going, most people try to keep some distance.

I am practiced at faking like a message or call came in, i checking myself for something, and going back from where i came looking for what is lost

3 Likes

This isn’t directed at anyone specifically, but when I see the responses about never letting someone surprise you:

1. You’re 100% right, we should always be alert and avoid bad situations. If you find yourself in a fight, you’ve already made some serious mistakes

but

1. I feel like this avoids the question, because no matter how alert we think we are, anyone can be caught off guard- especially if you have an adversary with ill-intent who is waiting for the right moment. So even if we’re hyper-vigilant, it doesn’t hurt to think beyond that horizon of what to do if something goes wrong, anyway.
4 Likes