IWB draw

I wear a t shirt most of time. I carry at 4. I find when practicing removing and getting on target in 1.5 SEC. I grab my shirt most of the time. Any advice to help correct this?

2 Likes

If you lift your shirt to get to your firearm that is correct. Even if you carry appendix you have to lift your garment.

5 Likes

I’m also fairly new at this with less than 1 year of daily carry.

Tips from my instructor.

If you can use both hands, grab shirt up with the weak hand, keep the hand against your stomach and chest (so you don’t accidentally shoot your weak hand), draw with strong hand, when the firearm clears the holster start moving the weak hand to support.

If you need to draw with one hand, start with thumb on the seam of your pants (I carry at 3:30), bring up and hook your thumb under your shirt, and lift until you can get your hand on the grip, and pull your firearm out of the holster.

I normally just practice drawing with one hand so the muscle memory is not relying on having a helping hand to draw.

5 Likes

I have tried using my thumb and like it because it also appears I’m reaching for my wallet. I can do it moving slow but trying to meet the 1.5 I don’t do as well. I have determined that having a good grip on my weapon I can still remove and point just looks a little weird.

Thank you

2 Likes

I have learned to come from the bottom and slide my hand up to take my shirt out of the way as I am grabbing and coming out with my gun. It has become for me now just easy and normal. It’s something I have to figure out that worked for me and really practice and get used to.

2 Likes

Don’t wear a shirt. :wink:

Jokes aside, drawing from a OWB is easy unless you have a jacket. Drawing from an IWB DOES require you pull up your shirt so that you can draw your pistol without getting caught or fumble around. There’s a couple things I do to practice myself.

1. practice with both hands free - use off hand to pull shirt out of way while other hand draws.
  2. practice with one hand only - use hand to pull up shirt and draw. practice a lot and recognize that you may get caught in the shirt and learn to have to deal with it. In a tense circumstance, you can’t ask for a pause while you fumble with your clothes.

I still get my shirts caught some times and it’s great because I can work through the problem now so when lives are in danger I’m used to it and know how to respond.

4 Likes

I finally moved my pistol to the 2, 2:30ish… makes it a lot easier… just my humble opinion…

2 Likes

Good idea. I may try that. My Superman Physique isn’t quite what it used to be. I have a little extra around 2:30

2 Likes

Here are a few videos that might help, @Brian176:

The first is for when you’re wearing a shirt from IWB, the second is for when you’re wearing a jacket with OWB.

Let me know what you think!

5 Likes

Thank you tons

1 Like

Both videos are very informative and Kevin is a great teacher. Good tips on how to clear your garments.

1 Like