Outside The Waistband Convert

For more than a quarter of a century, I always carried in an IWB holster. Recently, however, two things occurred simultaneously that changed that. First, I lost weight which meant I had to really tighten my belt in order to keep my gun from literally pulling my pants down. Secondly, I developed right shoulder issues which means sometime this year I’m going to have to have shoulder replacement surgery. This second development means that if my pants are tight enough to hold my gun up, it becomes extremely difficult (if not impossible) to draw from an IWB holster.

So, I bought an OWB holster. Guess what? All of the covering shirts and vests I have collected for carrying concealed IWB also work for the OWB holster. It is only very minimally more difficult to conceal my firearm than when it is carried IWB. Secondly, I can draw and present far faster than ever before, even before my weight loss and shoulder issues developed.

So, now I am wondering just what sort of a fool I’ve been for more than a quarter of a century? I’m posting this in order to possibly prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

7 Likes

While I understand your particular situation I don’t get what was so foolish about IWB carrying. A few years back, I lost all the “daddy weight” I gained years ago and not having the love handles and tummy that made IWB uncomfortable anymore actually switched to AIWB. I find it way more comfortable, easier to conceal bigger guns and my draw and presentation is much faster than it used to be.

Everyone’s experience and comfort levels are different and it pays to experiment and find your personal comfort zone. Wherever and however anyone carries, practice, practice, practice their draw and they’ll be fine.

11 Likes

I understand your situation. The more weight i lost the more uncomfortable IWB became. In addition the added weight loss made concealment must easier. Sorry about your shoulder. I hope you have a full recovery.

6 Likes

I would consider that if I were living in a free state.

5 Likes

Drawing from OWB holster is usually easier and faster than from IWB. The only reason of IWB is a concealment, that is a little better than using OWB.

I personally prefer OWB, but when I cannot conceal it with my garment, I use AIWB.
There is no mistake using IWB holster especially when you cannot hide OWB one, however you should treat them and use interchangeably.

7 Likes

Lynn,
Good for you on your weight loss (I have no idea what that’s like! Must be amazing! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sorry about your shoulder issues (Rotator Cuff?)
Whatever our situation and or disability we must adapt and overcome as that great sage Enzo
just said. My holsters , carry positions and even choice of firearm change with the weather.
Oh, It’s raining? .357
Sunny? M&P9 w/ G3c Taurus small of the back chaser.
They are all good because of proper training and practice with each weapon.
When you find the right fit you will know.
(P.S: There is a great Bed holster when you are recovering (Just not in the Hospital!–tends to freak out the 'Normie’s! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:)

Stay Frosty!
Mi dos pesos
adonde nosotros vamos uno nosotros ir todo!!!
Nessun passo sul serpente

4 Likes

Like Don102 said, I switch between OWB, ankle, shoulder. It changes with weather, and location! Most of the time its OWB, with a loose pull over shirt.

3 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you. Have a great Sunday!

Sincerely yours,

Lynn K. Circle

| Don102 Regular
February 7 |

• | - |

Lynn,
Good for you on your weight loss (I have no idea what that’s like! Must be amazing! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry about your shoulder issues (Rotator Cuff?)
Whatever our situation and or disability we must adapt and overcome as that great sage Enzo
just said. My holsters , carry positions and even choice of firearm change with the weather.
Oh, It’s raining? .357
Sunny? M&P9 w/ G3c Taurus small of the back chaser.
They are all good because of proper training and practice with each weapon.
When you find the right fit you will know.
(P.S: There is a great Bed holster when you are recovering (Just not in the Hospital!–tends to freak out the 'Normie’s! :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:)

Stay Frosty!
Mi dos pesos
adonde nosotros vamos uno nosotros ir todo!!!
Nessun passo sul serpente

2 Likes

Having also recently lost a fair amount of weight I can say that it has improved my IWB carry, especially at appendix position. (Shoulder damage makes it difficult for me to reach back to 4 o’clock with any sort of speed or confidence.) Prior to the weight loss my belly would tend to push out against the butt of my pistol making it, if anything, more obvious. Since the change in body shape the pistol tends to lay flatter against me, making it harder for someone to notice it. However, since I tend to favor medium to larger sized pistols, I often need to wear suspenders to keep my britches up where they belong, but it’s a small effort for a big payoff.

As always, YMMV. Try out a variety of methods to find what works for you. Even people of the same size and weight are shaped differently; there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution.

3 Likes

I bet you look Fabulous in yer suss’penders My good Sir!

1 Like

Just like my dear Pa-pa!

1 Like