IWB worn OWB

I have a few Kydex holsters that are adjustable for different cants. I like the position options. I was considering also using them at 3-4 o’ clock OWB occasionally. Are there any potential issues with doing this? Has anyone done this?

Edit: Added post below to include “I apologize for not being more clear… What I was asking, is using the holster outside of the pants, but still inside the belt. The adjustablility of some of my holster allows for changing cant (thus going from 4-5 IWB to 3-4 OWB.”

2 Likes

Are these IWB holsters typical IWB, or adjustable/convertible?
I’ve got IWB holster which can be easily converted to OWB with switching belt clips.
No issues at all… but probably because it was designed for both options.

3 Likes

I guess it would depend on the style, or brand of holster. I know there are some that are convertible from IWB to OWB.
None of my IWB holsters would work for OWB, at least not in a manner I would be comfortable with.

3 Likes

I have a hybrid holster that’s IWB or OWB that I like; method of carry changeable with clothing style works well for me as a woman and should work as well for a man. I can’t speak to the 3 or 4:00 carry as I carry 2:30ish or 10:00, again based on clothing.

2 Likes

Pocket carry FTW!

3 Likes

I apologize for not being more clear… What I was asking, is using the holster outside of the pants, but still inside the belt. The adjustablility of some of my holster allows for changing cant (thus going from 4-5 IWB to 3-4 OWB.

3 Likes

I would get a holster that is specifically made for OWB carry. I believe you will have more issues with comfort and safe carrying if you decide to wear an IWB holster like that.

6 Likes

That’s my OWB carry too

2 Likes

Yep, .380 goes in my pocket

1 Like

There was a member here not long ago that spoke of this. He stated that a person could use the IWB holster as OWB by putting it between the pants and belt. He was prior LE and very, very knowledgable. I have considered trying this myself.

4 Likes

So we’re talking about IWB worn between the belt and pants instead of inside the pants waistband… I would say there’s a lot of “it depends”

• Are you carrying as open carry? (Please use the appropriate retention holster for open carry. This is more a comment for all those who are new to carrying)
  • Does the muzzle of the firearm/holster show below your cover garment?
  • Is the holster secure and stationary?
  • Does the gun print when OWB/In belt?

My biggest concern is that it stays concealed and secure.

2 Likes

I like both IWB/OWB. My resident home state is open carry unless otherwise posted… If weapons aren’t allowed I use the “THE JOEY POUCH” The Stealth Pouch is my nickname for it. Nobody every knows I am carrying… Holds most 9mm, 40 or .45 ACP. Single/Double Stack NO PROBLEM… Opposite pouch room for an extra mag if needed, small flashlight, brass knuckles etc. All under the waist and belt line without having any uncomfortable feeling, fits right in between the legs perfectly… I use it running/jogging used while playing full court basketball games no slipping and no adjustments ever required…

1 Like