Inside Belt Carry (IBC?)

Living in Florida I am still on the quest for a comfortable waistline carry technique. I have used OWB and IWB, but both can still irritate bare skin after a couple of days. Today I tried an all kydex low profile IWB between my pants and belt, sort of a IWB/OWB hybrid. Got to say it seems pretty good after one day.

Anybody else tried this?

1 Like

First, I have never heard of that.
Second, what is irritating your “skin”? Would that method also create issues?

Of course I have no clue about carry in that heat. Want to talk about -30, I am game for that! :smiley:

2 Likes

Every thing that is shown under the t-shirt, the t-shirt normally covers the firearm. My OWB and one IWB are leather, the other IWB is all kydex (see photo).

Every other day I swap to cross-draw or front pocket carry. I prefer for the firearm to be in the same place all the time, so I wouldn’t have to think about it if it is ever needed.

1 Like

I can understand this. I’ve got the same. Not only holsters irritate my skin.
Never tried between pants and belt
 OWB works for me

1 Like

Pocket carry if your pistol is the right size will resolve the issue. Use a Good pocket holster though. A good holster will keep the weapon in position, will not obviously print as a “gun”, and will stay put when you draw.

1 Like

What you’re doing is perfectly useful and as you have noted the fact the only part of the holster and or firearm is touching bare skin above the beltline if you are not wearing a tee shirt or tuck your outer shirt around the weapon as you have in your demonstration photo. Where it might be challenging is if the holster you do this with has a bit too much give, is compressed by your belt, and complicates a smooth draw. Kydex generally doesn’t have this trouble too often unless the upper lip is allowed to ride below the top of your belt/slacks.

Your idea does a good job of solving one problem; just as long as you’re happy with the change in ability of concealment, or, you get ‘enough’ concealment by dropping the tails of your polo shirt.

Some of the holster manufacturers offer back panel padding materials to make an IWB/OWB (if you hang your hardware just so) a bit softer on your skin and side of the body. I’ve seen these with good saddle leather, sheepwool padding, moleskin or other artificial materials pads, etc.

The worst news I have to share with you; and I’m sorry to say: most of us rarely get through life with even one sidearm with just one holster! Good Hunting!

1 Like

Looks like a workable solution. I would look into a good OWB pancake holster. They carry a little flatter, but are still OWB.

1 Like

Yes, I have been “whittling” on my leather OWB, I will probably continue to whittle a little more :grinning:

What stinks is I already have 4 holsters for this gun and not 100% happy with any of them. I got lucky buying a Galco Concealable Belt Holster that works comfortably for my full size 40 as well as 1911. Unfortunately Galco does not offer that holster for the Sig P938. :grimacing:

edit: I already changed out the factory rubber grip scales (panels?) with VZ Grip G10. That was a major improvement! It was after that I realized the top of the holster extension that keeps sweat off the gun really rubs and gouges.

1 Like

I use IWB and don’t have a problem with rubbing. I use an AlienGear holster. They have Neoprene on the inside so they don’t rub you raw.

2 Likes

IWB, appendix, crossdraw with an Elite Survival Systems holster. Very comfortable and well hidden and I am not a large man.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input, as I am already 5 holsters into this one gun (forgot the factory one in the first count) I really want to work with what I have if possible.

This is where I am today; I cut off the top as shown here:

Holster_01

I burnished the leather cut with finer and finer sandpaper resulting in this comparison to the Galco comfortable holster:

I was concerned about maintaining coverage of the safety, so the cut is just above it. My concern was sitting and standing the safety could possibly be disengaged if it hung up against my skin. This way the safety moves with and stays in contact with the holster leather:

Now all I’ve got to do is sew the cut part back together :smiley:

1 Like

Does your belt support your gun when it’s loaded? Believe me, a good belt makes a difference.

2 Likes

I know what you mean about a good belt. This one was an upgrade from the off the rack box store choices.

I think it supports pretty good. It is a Desantis gun belt, 1-1/2" x 1/4" with a subcompact Sig Sauer P938. It is a lot better than the Grit & Guts bullhide gun belt it replaced.

It also supports a 32 ounce 1911 with no issues. Main problem for me is I wear a t-shirt as a cover garment with nothing between my carry rig and my skin - feel like temp was 105 @ 80% RH today.

1 Like

I just ordered this for my P365. Need something that’s high and tight.

4 Likes

I’ve been using this Blackpoint/Sig Sauer Legion for my Legion p220 and it works wonderfully (you do need to wear an undergarment with it for maximum comfort).
I also use an Aliengear Cloak and Tuck 3.5 holster which is also very comfortable even without an undergarment due to the neoprene backing.
I prefer the retention and locking fit of the Blackpoint/Sig Legion holster. I wear it at the 4:00 position and have had no issues.

1 Like

I just got the 3.5 sport tuck as well plus the belly band from same company. It’s going to take a while to get used to the holster, just seems so large. Will have to see how it fells tho. Does it conceal well for you?

1 Like

Yeah it conceals very well for me and is comfortable, especially after a day or two even without an undergarment. The only issue I have is that it doesn’t lock in place (not a retention lock) just that locking click on a good formed double sided Kydex holster. Also bend the top of the neoprene backing area towards your body a bit and it won’t interfere with your thumb on the draw or reholstering. It retains that curve pretty well and hasn’t been an issue to me at all.
The reason for my issue with the Aliengears 3.5’s actual retention is that it’s only a well formed half plastic shell on a neoprene backing and you don’t get that reassuring clicking lock fit. I think I just need to mess around with the different spacers they include in the package as when I put it on, just by cinching my belt tight the retention increases dramatically. It’s still a great holster (especially for the money) once you get used to it IMO. I just wish they had the Shape Shifter model available for my p220 as it has the double sided kydex that delivers that nice locking click, plus you can add a level 2 retention button to them if you ever want to carry OWB, they don’t even make them yet for a p226, go figure
 You may want to look into that model depending on your gun. It’s amazing what it can do with the ease of changing it to the different methods of carry including car mounting if you haven’t watched any videos on it yet.
Hope that helps a bit!

1 Like

I live in Southwest Florida, I use is LIRISY, I purchased it from Amazon for my Springfield XDM compact and works very well.

1 Like

I carry a Sig P320 and have settled on the Bravo Concealment IWB and OWB. They are the most comfortable for me and seem to have a curve to them. I use the ‘Compact’ frame on the SIG to carry and switch to the ‘Carry’ frame at times. Holster works great for both.

2 Likes

I wear an undershirt and use a kydex IWB holster, no skin irritation.

2 Likes