Concealed firearm not concealing well!

This is more a question for the ladies out there who carry - I recently started carrying now that I’m trained. But I’m finding that no matter what I wear, the butt of the gun sticks out & you can definitely see it’s there! I have a Glock 19 and wear OTW ar about 3:00. Any garment suggestions? Does anyone else have this problem?

3 Likes

I can tell you that my CZ P-01 has the same problem. Both G19 and P-01 have the same grip size so comparison is fair.
For OWB holster at 3 o’clock ANY t-shirt doesn’t prevent from printing. Only sweater, jacket or hoodie style garment make it concealed.
Because of that I’ve started using IWB (2 o’clock) whenever I use t-shirt.
In my case, OWB has use with thicker or extra cloth layer only.

3 Likes

An overshirt, or as I see my wife wear often, a cardigan would help. Also, a holster with some cant, would help. Many modern holster have adjustable cant, some must be ordered that way. It helps angle the grip, instead of it sticking straight backwards.

4 Likes

Thanks! With spring coming, I’ll take your advice with a IWB holster. If you could let me know what you use for IWB, I’ll check it out. Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Thx! I wore a sweatshirt today, but even with the cant you could still see the bulk. I’ll try the cardigan (at least while it’s still cold out😁). Appreciate the reply!

1 Like

All depends on personal preferences.
I like leather touch for my firearms, but also want a hard case, so all my holsters are from Tucker Gun Leather. You can also check JM4 Tactical, both companies makes almost the same holsters…
Amazingly I found very useful cheap IWB holster from The Holster Store (Pro Carry HD model).
[I used Pro Carry HD for USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals training I took this weekend and it made the job very well]

1 Like

I use (mostly) OWB holsters for cold months, IWB for warm ones, and have a belly band on hand too. If you’re like most, you’ll find that you need different types of carry in your arsenal. Vest and cardigan both aid concealment several months of the year, and I find summer months the most challenging to concealment; looser, blousy tops conceal well, prints help camo the lines of the gun better than solids; for summer I have several light cotton blouses that used to have sleeves, which I made sleeveless, to throw over a tee or tank for casual wear concealment. A lightweight fashionable vest, cotton or crocheted is also good for summer. I made a denim vest from a thrift store jacket by cutting off the sleeves, and that gets a lot of wear year round. Fortunately, styles tend toward individual taste these days, which means with a little creativity, you’ll be able to carry always and look good doing it. Best to you…

1 Like

I’m thin, I carry owb with a Glock 19. I carry closer to 3:30. Plus I wear a loose overshirt untucked.

2 Likes

Carol,

A lot of folks who carry invest in different types of holsters, but forget about another necessity… a sturdy belt designed for concealed carry. A regular belt will sag under the weight of a gun and when the belt and holster sags downward, the grip of the gun usually sticks out further. A good carry belt is designed not to sag.

IWB holsters are usually a lot thinner than OWB holsters, and help with the problem of a grip sticking out. However… carrying IWB often means the added expense of buying pants with a larger waistband to accommodate the gun and holster between you and the pants. This is especially true for those who prefer tight clothing.

Now, there is a way to get the added benefit of a thinner IWB holster that tucks your weapon in closer, without having to resort to larger size waistbands… you can buy a very thin IWB kydex holster with a single sturdy belt clip and no cant, and wear it outside your pants, between your pants and belt, with the clip over the belt. That method of carry really keeps your gun tucked in close. Also, by wearing the holster that way, you have the option of wearing a single IWB holster comfortably in many different locations. Naturally, this method of carry will absolutely require a cover garment.

I had to learn the method of carrying with a straight cant kydex IWB holster on the outside of my jeans, between the jeans and belt after a very bad motorcycle accident. My right leg was badly damaged, so the surgeons opened up my right hip and scraped a lot of bone off my hip and put it down into my leg, so that it would grow and fill in bone gaps there. It worked, but after all the recovery and rehab time, I discovered that I could no longer carry like I had always done before, in between 3:00 and 4:00 with an OWB holster. With a lot less bone there, a holster and gun would just slide straight down. Plus there was a lot of painful scar tissue in that area.

After experimenting for quite a while, I discovered that cross draw was the best position for me because of the right hip problems. It took more training to get used to, but I found that using a thin kydex IWB holster that was designed to be carried on my right side, it worked perfectly for left side cross draw from the 10:00 o’clock position… again, wearing it snugly tucked in outside the pants and between the pants and a sturdy carry belt.

Experiment with what what works best for you, then let everyone else know what you figured out because it might help someone else. :+1:

6 Likes

@Carol I’ve been concealed carrying for about 35 years. I have a big box of holster all in Lefthand. Expensive collection I don’t use anymore. I discovered an Ambi IWB about five years ago called Sticky Holster for a Glock 19 I started carrying. I didn’t want to drop another $100 on a holster and wait times on LH holsters was long. I got a Sticky Holster from a local firearms store at the recommendation from the owner. Amazingly simple, works for SOB and Appendix carry. Good retention is extremely important. Make sure you withdraw the holster from your waistband before you re-holster your handgun.

2 Likes

@Carol, Concealed Carry Magazine has a whole section every issue that is devoted to women. Check your back issues if you keep them. Otherwise, be sure to check out the “Women and Guns” forum on this site. There should be something or someone there to help.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated! I’ll check it out. :+1:

1 Like

I LOVE the vest idea (I hadn’t thought of that)! I have a sleeveless denim vest hiding somewhere in the closet - I’ll go hunting for it & try out different combinations. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Same here. I wanted to carry more towards 3:30, even 4 but the loops on my jeans didn’t cooperate for that😁

I like the idea of the thin Kydex IWB with a clip! I’ll also look into belly bands. Wow, now that I thought I finally had this whole thing down right (the guns themselves, all the training, and all the tools & gadgets that go with owning firearms) I never thought carrying would present so many other options to still think about! Thanks for all the valuable info! Ouch, I’m so sorry about your accident - I truly hope you’re doing ok…all the best!

2 Likes

Lol! I have a few I bought also (expensive leather) that just didn’t work fir me, so I understand! Thx for the Sticky Holster link! I’m checking that also.

1 Like

I do keep those issues. I’ll be going thru them today - and the women’s forum - thanks!!

2 Likes

Thanks to everybody for all your replies & awesome suggestions! You all ROCK!!:heart:

7 Likes

We are all here to help each other :+1:

4 Likes

It’s a good community with relevant and informative discussion, not to mention the entertainment value too… :upside_down_face:

6 Likes