Holster position and cant

Hey all! At what position do you carry and what cant do you use? I’m setting up a Tulster Profile with a PPS in it. I’m pretty lean and truly concealing is a challenge. Thanks!

1 Like

I carry in the 3-4 o’clock position, and prefer an FBI forward cant. That, for me, positions the pistol at a great draw angle, and allows me the best non printing conceal ability.

2 Likes

I carry in a cross draw with an Alien Gear molded holster. Occasionally I carry in shoulder holster canted down a bit.

2 Likes

Do you like it? I bought their “kit” system and found it much too bulky. I like the idea but execution went off the rails.

1 Like

I absolutely love it. The ability to transition from OWB to IWB and to shoulder holster is awesome

1 Like

I carry AIWB with either my Glock 32 or S&W Shield. It’s positioned about 1:00-1:30 to the right of my belt buckle with the grip slightly canted to the right.

2 Likes

I have different answers for different platforms but in general I prefer a paddle type OWB holster carried at around the 3:30-4:00 position.

There are no belt loop type holsters that allow me to shift positions as easily as the paddle holsters and when I’m working, driving, riding 4 wheeler, or horse I find myself needing to shift pretty frequently.

The 3:30-4:00 or 4:30 position with a forward cant makes for me the easiest draw and puts you in a position to very easily conceal your draw if need be while still being able to very quickly get the gun into the fight.

It also works well as a position where it is easy to protect from a snatch should you find yourself in a grapple fighting for control of the weapon.

I have both leather and Kydex holsters for my revolvers and IWI Kydex holsters for my XD’s and XDM’s.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Ronin!

Normally I’m not a fan of the word “can’t”, @Brad. LOL! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve tried just about everything. For CCW carry, the one that works for me is a standard Galco black leather belt slide with a forward cant. I’ve yet to meet a plastic/kydex holster that’s worth a damn for CCW. You’ll find nothing more comfortable than a simple, real leather holster. I wear strong side kidney (just behind the hip and basically right over the back pocket on my jeans. That spot is really easy to conceal and still very fast to draw from. Because you’re starting into the “small of the back” area, it is less likely to print on overhanging clothing (jacket or untucked shirt) than a hip carry.

2 Likes

Interesting stuff. Thanks, folks. Do you prefer active or passive retention?

1 Like

:+1: Absolutely nothing beats real leather for comfort. I’ve even had the paddles of my PH’s lined with it in some cases.

Leather will also not produce the wear marks on your handgun that kydex or plastic does.

2 Likes

I am looking into a leather IWB now. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m a lefty…I carry IWB with a vedder light tuck with a 15degree forward cant @ 9-10 o’clock

2 Likes

Depends on how you carry. If you open carry, 100% active detention.

3 Likes

Detention? :blush:

3 Likes

I carry at the 3-4 position, with a custom kydex OWB holster because it’s more comfortable to me than IWB. The way this guys made it, it conceals as well as any IWB, but with the OWB comfort. I’m a bigger guy, with some pudge in the way of things, so OWB gives me the proper grip on the gun as I clear the holster. I have tried AIWB, but just haven’t found the right holster for me. So back to the 3-4 position… I have a torn rotator cuff, that is inoperable. It won’t get worse, but won’t get better. That said, it hinders my range of movement and flexibility, so strong-side hip is my best way to carry. That same injury also changes my shooting stance. Lot of people will tell you there’s only one way to do things… one stance, one grip, etc. As long as you’re able to safely get rounds on target quickly and accurately, don’t let anyone razz you about how you choose to do things. My way may not work for you and vice versa.

4 Likes

:woman_facepalming: Love responding from my phone… active retention.

4 Likes

At work: 12 o’clock IWB. After work: 9 o’clock OWB. Concealment Express- IWB, Comp-Tac Paddle- OWB.

1 Like

Raymond, which model holster do you have from Alien?

I’m looking at their Cloak Mod OWB (H&K VP9sk Cloak Mod OWB Holster (Outside the Waistband)). The Cloak Belt version seems like a lot to wear (Cloak Slide Ruger SR22 OWB Holster).

I’m also looking at Comp-Tac Holsters

1 Like

I use the shapeshift OWB and buy different shells for specific weapon They dont make a shapeshift for my EDC so I use the cloak mod OWB for my Walther PPX

2 Likes