Pistol orientation and drawing from the holster

I’m still in the process of adjusting my rig/CC position, etc. I have an Aliengear shapeshift package (4 holsters) and a Sig P320 XCompact. After viewing some recent posts about IWB, AIWB and AOWB I got wondering about location and pistol orientation. If carrying IWB or OWB at 4 or 5 o’clock, which is better/possible for the grip to be facing: towards the spine or the drawing arm? It seems to me that my arm is at an odd angle when I attempt to mimic drawing from 4 or 5 o’clock position. If the grip is towards my draw hand-R, my arm feels less contorted. Not even sure if you can make a RH holster adjusted to draw like that. Thanks for any insight!!

1 Like

You must definitely find the best way by yourself. Nobody is gonna tell you what is best for you. Holster is like shoe. Try and decide.
If you feel any position to be awkward don’t use it.
Using 4 or 5 o’clock with grip forward requires left hand holster. But be careful with this. During holster draw you mostly will flag yourself… unless you make it perfect draw with practice.

Remember - carrying never gonna be comfortable. Just find the way to carry which bothers you less.

11 Likes

@Jerzy is right, you need to find what works for you. For me, it is butt toward the spine. To have the butt toward the drawing arm requires an awkward twisting motion that I am not a fan of. YMMV.

6 Likes

I believe I mentioned before in a similar tread that AIWB is the quickest way for me to access my firearm, but due to the fact that I like to eat I carry at 4:00 o’clock position. But I am trying it out again. Hope this helps brother.

3 Likes

I might be mistaken, but I think when he asked about grip facing forward, I took that to mean cant or angle of holster. Canted forward would be grip facing forward.

If he meant like some claim Wild Bill carried, with the grip actually forward, you are correct, and it is not exactly safe or quick to draw.

2 Likes

You might be right… However I couldn’t imagine other options… :thinking:

2 Likes

When I posted I imagined the actual grip forward. Thanks!

2 Likes

Never thought about the issue of flagging myself…good point!

3 Likes

“always point the muzzle in the safest direction”… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I have an Alien Gear deep concealment holster for my Kimber Ultra +CDP 45. I carry at 4:30 when I carry in it. That’s plenty comfortable for me.

On workdays though, I carry appendix, at 1:00 in a 1791 holster…because I drive to and from work. It took me a little while to get use to appendix carry. I have a thin build and it’s easy to appendix carry but as long as you don’t have a gut, appendix carry doesn’t present a danger in a holster THAT COVERS THE TRIGGER.

It was a “Lucky Gunner” video that persuaded me to try appendix carry. Here it is:

I hope you find your comfort zone, however you decide to carry.

2 Likes

You may be right, It was just an option I thought of.

@scott109 I thought of that also, but just could not believe that was really what was meant.

1 Like

@Scott109

Use a left handed holster if you want the handle pointed forward from 3-7 o clock.

1 Like