Concealed Carry for Bigger Guys

Ok so I have a lot of table muscle and have a harder time with my concealed carry options.

What type of holsters do you use and at what position do you carry?

4 Likes

Some of us who have worked hard on our polar blanket :wink:
I found a natural pocket at my 2:30. My full size 1911 fits snuggly between my belly and hip in a blade tech OWB.

2 Likes

Finding OWB to be more and more comfortable than anything else. Carry at 3/3:30, in summer i wear a light coat or button up, winter i have a heavier coat on usually.

4 Likes

My pants are a size larger, comfort waistband when available. My usual go to is a Flashbang Capone IWB, at about 4 o’clock. That seems to accommodate my tactical dad bod pretty well. My “quick” holster is a 1791 Gunleather 4way. Usually IWB, at about 3 o’clock, but, winter and my Carhartt add the option of OWB. This is with a M&P 45c. Yes, a double stack, IWB, with my 297 lbs.

3 Likes

Interesting topic, IWB kydex at 2:30 or 3 is where I land, works well for me even with a 1911 officer size. The cover garment to me makes the concealed carry work or not.

1 Like

I too have a 1791, what are your impressions? I have only one complaint, it creak s like I’m walking on a century old wood floor. It fits fine, holds my 1911 very well, but man it make s a sound like that spongebob episode were Mr. Crabs gives him a pair black rubber squeaky boots and instantly regrets it.

1 Like

My biggest complaint is how it wears OWB. I guess, making a holster that can be worn in 4 different ways includes some comprising. It would be nice if it fit closer, pancake style. Beyond that, I don’t have a lot of complaints. It’s an all leather holster, that does its job, for 60 bucks. If I went OWB more often, I’d invest in a dedicated holster for that.

1 Like

I carry a Ruger Security 9 or a Walther PK-380 in an OWB leather holster. The leather holsters draw tighter to the body and I find a crevice usually around 3 to 3:00. I also just started using a Kore Essentials belt that has a ‘click’ type adjustment. Lets me adjust really easy and quickly. I am in Florida so I am usually in shorts and ‘T’ shirt and these guns hide well using the leather.

3 Likes

Coming in at just under 400lbs (and dropping, thankfully) I found to carry where I want I needed to buy larger pants. Now my belt line is just a hair below (almost touching) my belly button. That is relevant because I appendix carry a Glock 19. I use a Bravo Concealment Torsion or a Vedder LightTuck (with claw.) It also helps that I have a solid belt so I don’t have to worry about it adjusting itself through the day (I use a Nexbelt but any sturdy belt should do.) With an added cushion it’s amazing how easily a firearm can be hidden, I’m even ok with a t-shirt there.

6 Likes

6’2" 350lbs. I pocket carry a Ruger SR9c in an Alabama Pocket Holster. It’s very comfortable and doesn’t print.

4 Likes

I use AIWB at about 12:30 and OWB Kydex at about 3:30 position. I feel comfortable either way. I lost a bit of the gut so AIWB is getting better and more comfortable for me.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @TimMDT and God bless you brother.

2 Likes

Thank you @Johnnyq60! I’ve been a member for some time and had a slight activity level on these forums last year (though not much) - just merged my “instructor” account with my old acct so had to redo the profile, etc. :wink:

2 Likes

6’3" / 250. OWB Kydex from Concealment Express. 1000 / 1100 crossdraw.

2 Likes

“Table muscle?” If that means what I think it means, then you need to do something about it.

2 Likes

Dunlap Disease :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m totally aerodynamic and carry at 4:30 but I have lots of friends my age that have this issue with Dunlops (Belly Dun Lops OVER yer Belt) and Dunslids (Belly Dun Slid UNDER yer Belt) disease. For the Dunlops crowd appendix carry seems to work well, for the Dunslids 4:30 and back still works. If you are really over the under Man Boob has been known to work with a tank top.

There was a fella I recall named “Hank the Tank” , every bit of 6-5" and 400+ lbs that could stand up straight and press a full size Desert Eagle into his belly and then sit down and you would never know there was a gun on him. Of course I’m sure he could have hidden a pair of 38’s under his 38’s but I digress.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

LMAO!

There is no passion to be found in playing small, and living a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.

• Nelson Mandela
3 Likes

6"2" 275. Been carrying for 40 years, last 18 as happily retired LEO. For me here in AZ I seldom wear an outer garment or untucked shirt so pocket carry for me. EDC is a Sig 365XL in R/F pocket with a 15 rd spare in another. Cargo pants by Duluth.
Considering that when I started at the PD I had 18 rds plus another 10 for the backup and reload, and I now have 28 available I’m good.

5 Likes

Larger fellow here also. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and carry halfway between 2 and 3 o’clock…extra mag on other side at 9 o’clock.

The key for me, is making sure my beltline is over my “gutline” (no “dunloping”) which puts the pistol high enough where I can execute a smooth clear and draw with strongside hand only. (prevents me from having to try and cross-over the gut to remove garments).

I recommend trying a couple different types, and then practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!!

5 Likes