Proper AIW technique?

See the 5.11 advertisement on page 8 of the current issue (February/March) issue of Concealed Carry magazine.

The fellow is lifting his cover garment with his shooting hand. Wouldn’t it be more efficient if he was lifting the cover garment with his left hand?

NOTE: I have no experience with Appendix carry.

I have started to appendix carry myself and position my firearm on my left being a left handed shooter. I practice uncovering with my right hand.

1 Like

Lifting the garment with non shooting hand is, for most people, more efficient… but, is it always possible?

With good training single hand draw is as fast as regular two handed technique.

I strongly recommend practicing one hand draw stroke. It doesn’t need to be super fast, but at least it’s a good to know how to do this. It may save your life one day.

2 Likes

I see what you mean regarding him lifting the garment with his shooting hand. It’s only a photo. I lift the garment with my non shooting hand.

6 Likes

Non-shooting hand - always. Objective is to entirely clear the garment from the “draw path”. This means pulling it up as high as your chin, if necessary, and keeping the garment and firearm as far from each other as practical. It takes practice, and should be mastered dry firing before using live ammo. “Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.”

4 Likes

I use Mike Seeklanders style of draw. It gives you two options grab your shirt with your strong hand and lift it up with your other strong hand and then grab your gun and pull it out or if you other strong hand is not available you slip your strong hand onto the gun after pulling your shirt up with your strong hand. Both hands move and work together your strong hand to grab the shirt and your other strong hand to pull it up. It works well when you are wearing a shirt that is difficult to grab.

2 Likes

:point_right: exactly.
This is not a draw technique.
Looks like brandishing to me… :joy: :joy: :joy:

7 Likes

I had the same thought. Poor technique for draw but great example of brandishing;)

1 Like

I’ve never seen this photo before, until @Johnnyq60 has posted it.
It hard to tell it’s any technique… it is just saying: “hey. I’ve got nice pis and belt:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

How do we know he is not putting the cover garment down?

1 Like

Putting on a shirt so he can go into the store concealed.
Putting things back together after taking a leak.
Left-handed, but put his gun on backwards.
Challenging another meathead to a road-rage contest.
Showing off the pre-wash creases in his stylin’ pants.

Lots of possibilities. Most likely this is what you get when you:
• hire an ad agency which doesn’t know what they’re doing,
• don’t have anyone who does know proof the copy,
• deadline for submission is today, and
• “nobody will notice.”
Matches my experience with 5.11 products.

They don’t know our fact-checker. :rofl:

3 Likes

The only time I ever came close to drawing my weapon was when a Pitbull came out of nowhere and threatened to attack me.
I would have needed my left arm to protect myself as I drew the gun with my right hand.
Fortunately the owner showed up and tackled his dog.
Since I never had to raise my shirt, he never saw that I was carrying (between my 2/3 o’clock).
Now I practice drawing with my right hand as I believe that would be the most likely scenario I would encounter.

3 Likes

Think it is important to practice one handed draws for the variety of reasons you may have to do it.

I often practice discreet one handed draws while offering my throwaway money clip. Think it is harder to be discreet with AIWB. Much easier to hide your actions with pocket or strong side carry.

2 Likes

We know it by the way how garment’s parts are folded. :joy:

1 Like

I see this picture as someone who just got their rigged setup and is in the process of covering it up. In front of your vehicle may not be the place to do it, but yes, it’s an advertisement photo.

Good catch though, Mike!

1 Like

That’s the Cosmopolitan Lift look, lifting the garment correctly with the off/left hand would have made him look awkward!
He’s a model not a shooter! In addition he doesn’t value the Crown Jewels. The other side of that belt loop is the appendix 2.5” to the right!

Just like finding movie mistakes! Good catch!

1 Like

Right, that would have looked entirely different in a photo — no gun, no menace, just a guy scratching his nuts… :rofl:

AIWB in general makes ME cringe. However, when using a ClingerHolsters “Gear” holster, the hammer of my 1911 is directly above the scar where my appendix was removed. Mostly I’d call it 2 o’clock/2:30 position. To me, AIWB is 1 o’clock. At 1 o’clock, the muzzle would point towards something I def do not wish to destroy.

Saw a young man at a local gun shop carrying at 12 o’clock, and the muzzle literally HAD to be aimed at his junk. I was astounded, and it concerns me for someone to carry with their pistol aimed at their junk. Not such an issue were it a female, but a dude doing that I must question their sanity.

All that said, I have seen a huge deal made out of appendix carry many times. If it is 2 o’clock as I suspect, I see no issues. Get it closer to 1 or 12 o’clock, well that seems concerning for the aforementioned reasons.

In the end, as with firearm, holster, ammo, and (x raised to the infinite degree items), it is a personal choice and to each their own. If one is ok with where their muzzle is aimed on their body, then I’ll presume they are confident in the state of their, shall we call it “front arm” instead of “side arm” being such that it won’t blow anything off.

Have a LH friend who carries about 2 o’clock, seems he has no issues.
As with all, just have to train how you carry…and I’d include that to extend to different wardrobe items, etc. E.g., I can uncover and draw from under a loose tee faster than from a tee tucked over a holster and under a button down shirt. I train drawing from whatever concealment I may be wearing, and the very first step is getting off the “x” while moving the cover garment to acquire a full firing grip. Do at least each end of the X like that daily, and when you need to get it out for real, you’ll likely be good and ready. But let’s pray that doesn’t become a needful thing.
Best wishes to all.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find anything strong side, in front of hip, hung vertical, is likely to be considered AIWB regardless of internal organs. Properly holstered and properly used, you won’t be pointing at anything troublesome. Where on the clock between noon and 2:30 mostly depends upon anatomy, comfort, and concealment.

Anything weak side, in front of hip, will probably be considered a cross-draw position. Usually some cant if very far past the belt buckle.

I find 11:30 to 12:30 unsuitable for comfort and concealment, but folks seem to. Done correctly it’s not pointed where you seem to think.

I think the man in the in the magazine was showing his edc not drawing it. This topic also brings out other points about cross drawing. Food for thought.

1 Like