Proper AIW technique?

I’m wondering where did you find that article about cross draw? I’ve never experienced such “poorness” of retention and how the hell crass draw makes the firearm ideal for stealing? :zipper_mouth_face:

I carried my CZ in cross draw holster for a while and found it very safe and effective.

The downsides of cross draw isn’t my idea, but it is considered unsafe by some people for logical reasons.
Not my problem. It was posted as a point of interest.

Yeah, I figured these weren’t your words, but I was wondering where did you find this.

Cross draw info was found by googling it. It’s been a long standing no no for some good reasons that do make sense, not so much when you in your car. I don’t cross draw so it’s not a concern of mine but I can think of some disadvantages of cross drawing in close contact situations.
Thank you for any additional respected feedback from you.

This looks dumb. I agree with Jerzy. I practice both. I practice one hand draws and non dominant hand garment lift. The most efficient move is non dom hand, but we know in close quarters you may only have one hand available.
(I practice drawing with and empty gun during dry fire.)

1 Like

Now I get it. Google Search results are not adequate, especially when we look for professional opinion.

I was just surprised reading such negative opinion about crass draw. I know it might not be suitable for everyone, but that quote had no sense to me.

Its not my monkey, dig a little deeper.

Inviting might be the opposite of brandishing?
inviting

I believe the vulnerability to loss of gun is perceived when it is positioned where a right-handed BG facing you will have immediate access to a firing grip pointed at you if the grab is successful — instead of being upside down on the “wrong” side. Wouldn’t be anything special if attacks come from the side or rear (where a conventional carry would be extra vulnerable).

The issue of fouling is because in close contact the gun is not pointed in front of you the instant it clears the holster, but must be pulled across your front and reoriented — providing your assailant some extra time and access. AIWB at 12 o’clock is not much different in this regard.

Ranges and classes swoon about cross draw because it includes forms with significant cant and extending all the way to the off-side hip — so muzzling behind and down the firing line during draw. Don’t see that this would occur with a vertical holster at 11 o’clock, but “rules are rules”.

I don’t worry about any of this very much — I move a vertical holster to 11 o’clock when something I’m doing or wearing blocks my ordinary carry. Considerably better than no carry.

1 Like

I think current cross draw holsters are better quality than 15 years ago…

A 2022-03-10 23-20-04

I’ve also never heard these days from any of local Ranges that I cannot attend training with cross draw holster. I actually used that holster in several classes in 2020 and 2021.

Anyway. No needs to steal this thread. Our discussion has nothing common with “Proper AIWB technique” presented by 5.11 :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Don’t shoot the Messenger regarding negative points about
( CROSS DRAWING ) I posted it as a point of interest.

1 Like

I shot Google :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

1 Like

Cross drawing is not allowed at my range in that flagging is almost a certainty. True that you can turn your body 90 degrees before you draw, but just adds one more step to the equation, and you are still likely to flag your support hand.

1 Like

Looks cross draw will continue here.
I’m wondering why people like carrying 4 and 5 o’clock… No muzzling, no pointing others… :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Ahuh, that’s wat I meant. He Carrie’s about 1-2 o’clock for LH cross draw. For him it’s a comfort while driving thing. I advised him he’d be sweeping when drawing and lose speed. He made the choice. This is a dude probly bout 69, I’m 52. But I took him from knowing only which end the round exits and how to make it happen to a now responsibly armed man. I think he’s smart enough to realize his limitations and since I drilled awareness/avoidance into him I think his odds of needing to draw are less than average, tho we all know it can be needed by any of us any time we step out the door….

Education is a key.