Appendix Carry

Anyone shy about appendix carry? I’ve carried Glocks that way before. Not lately though. Only revolvers with a hammer block.

2 Likes

I switched to AIWB several months ago. It is FAR more comfortable, my draw is quicker, smoother, and my site alignment seems far more natural.

EDIT: I only wanted to post my draw for a limited time. I have removed the .gif as I planned to do when I posted it.

3 Likes

Fast. What pistol? How about when you sit? Comfortable?

1 Like

Appendix carry violates pretty much every rule of safe gun handling I’ve ever known.

On a visceral level I simply cannot purposely point a loaded firearm at my legs, feet, or gonads.

8 Likes

I have used SmartCarry or ThunderWear now and then for a couple of decades, and recently purchased an AIWB holster to try out (CZ P-07). Once I put a wedge on it became far more comfortable. For me, I think I would prefer a smaller gun as I sit a lot. Not horrible sitting; not comfy either. The above holsters are more comfortable, however they sit lower too.

Overall, I still prefer a tight fitting OWB leather holster. It is what I wear about 90% of the time. Oh, and a purpose built belt too. Never skimp on the belt.

2 Likes

Amen and amen. Yeah, I know lots of folks do, and have for years, nevertheless you are deliberately placing a weapon where, should any accident occur, you would almost certainly inflict a fatal wound on yourself. It’s your life of course and it’s ultimately your choice. As for me, nope, no way, no how. If you do choose appendix carry PLEASE be VERY careful, each time and every time. One mistake is probably all you’ll get

3 Likes

If one chooses to carry appendix, they better inspect holster frequently. Also not letting any clothing get near moith of holster or trigger guard.

2 Likes

And make sure you have absolute trigger finger discipline in every possible scenario.

No matter what you do though if you’re in a sitting position the muzzle is aimed at your crotch/femoral regions so should there be a mistake made you’re all but certain to either sterilize yourself, cripple yourself, or worse.

3 Likes

@bulldog In this case a Glock 43. I want to stress that I practiced this draw with a plastic blue LEO pistol well over 2,000 times before I went with a loaded pistol. And then probably another 1,000 times before chambering a round. It is purely down to muscle memory for me. That is how I train for everything I do.
But… do what feels right for YOU… regardless of others preferences.

6 Likes

Back in the wheel gun days I carried a concealed hammer J frame (model 642-1) off duty appendix carry in a collapsible leather holster. Did that for years without a second thought. Even fathered two sons during that time because I had no accidental discharge. Pun intended.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have the same “issues” carrying a revolver appendix as I do with the SA’s. The added measure of safety is very real.

I prefer cross draw however for a BUG.

2 Likes

I think you are referring to the hammer block. It’s reassuring having steel between the firing pin and the primer until the trigger is pulled far to the rear. Heavier trigger pull as well.

1 Like

Yessir, mostly the longer heavier pull. I’m old enough I grew up with revolvers made before the trigger block was even a “thing”.

1 Like

Actually been carrying that same J frame the last few days appendix carry. I’m with my wife at a timeshare right on the ocean for a week. Dressing in light clothes. Comfortable. Sure I could be carrying a polymer wonder but this works for me.

2 Likes

@TexasEskimo I gotta throw this out there because of my medical background. You are a south paw the Appendix is on the OTHER SIDE!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not my cup of tea but you seem to have it well in hand.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Watching that draw makes me cringe and kind of reminds me of a really good line from one of my favorite shows.

“Did you have sex with your wife last night”.

“Why”?

“Because it’s the last time you ever will.”

That draw looks well practiced but the slightest mistake drawing or reholstering would make the last time you had sex the last time you’d ever have sex.

2 Likes

@Craig6 The video was taken as a selfie. It was not inverted. I am right handed.

2 Likes

@TexasEskimo I have never understood how that film magic works although it has been explained to me many times., just can’t wrap my head around it.

Cheers,

craig6

4 Likes

@WildRose I am very well practiced and confident in my choice. I am more concerned about taking my last breath at the hands of a criminal than sex.

2 Likes

I’ve included appendix carry to my routine in the past four years and using a rigid holster and proper firearms handling have not had any issues. You have to be conscious of proper draw, i.e. finger placement and when re-holstering I recommend a forward hip thrust and again a conscious handgun insertion into the holster. Training training training.
I find appendix carry very comfortable with a 3 to 3 1/2 inch barrel and proper holster. Drawing I find more natural and slightly quicker.

2 Likes