Appendix Carry Strikerfire?

So I watched a video today that recommended if you are going to carry AIWB you should consider Manuel safeties or double action single actions. I have also seen instructors like John Lovell recommend the opposite, striker fire gun, no safety, AIWB. Thoughts?

I personally carry strong side, but I’m learning more about AIWB.

2 Likes

I would never want a firearm, mine or anyone elses, aimed there. Good luck.

3 Likes

There are plenty of videos out there showing guys shooting themselves in their junk because a shirt or other article of clothing got caught on the trigger… for my money, I’d have a manual safety (on any pistol) and practice dropping the safety every time that pistol comes out of its holster until it becomes muscle memory.

7 Likes

Oh shoot… this is gonna get interesting :popcorn:

8 Likes

I agree with John Lovell @Scoutbob, I don’t know who recommended a manual safety for AIWB but I carry appendix with no manual safety and never had a problem or was never paranoid about doing it.

7 Likes

If you have the proper holster that covers the trigger guard and you don’t get careless while holstering you shouldn’t have a problem.

8 Likes

You do know what they say about opinions, right?
My advice is to do a copious amount of research on any arm choice that you are considering, make certain that you are comfortable with your decision, become intimately familiar with it, secure it in a holster proper for the application, and practice.

7 Likes

This has been my only set back from AIWB.

The pros in my mind are:

You can see the holster when holstering,
You can see the gun at all times if your printing
You can conceal a bigger gun.
You have a better protection of the weapon, so it cannot get grabbed from you.
It’s easily accessible in seated positions.
It isn’t aiming at anyone around you like some shoulder rigs or even walking by someone with strong side carry.

The only concern is the gun aiming at my manhood (which is a serious deal to me). BUT the gun should be inert in a holster and proper holstering with hips out (which means you aren’t aiming at your junk) and slowly holstering in some ways may be safer than not being able to fully examine a holster at 4:00.
And the retched side hug that always leads someone to hitting the grip of the gun…

I’m with you though. Your comment is the main and real deterrent from AIWB, but the more comfortable I’ve gotten with firearms, I’ve realized that gun is not going off unless I get in a rush and screw up holstering.

5 Likes

I carry my Glock AIWB and I carry 1911s AIWB. Risk vs. reward make it worth it. Right holsters, well maintained firearms that are safe to operate as designed an “look” your gun into your holster every time and it’s a great way to carry.

8 Likes

How do you get it to work well at that 2 without it digging into your quad bad? Everyone who I see doing appendix has it right by 12. You’re getting the best of all worlds without it aiming at your manhood :laughing:

5 Likes

I’ve been carrying striker fired pistols ever since I was able to own a gun and I have and always will carry appendix and not a single one of them has ever had a manual safety. I currently carry my Hellcat and it’s the most comfortable, capable and easily carried pistol I’ve ever owned…for me appendix is the most comfortable, fastest draw and if you’re actually aware of what’s going on with your body and your gun, it’s absolutely safe! If someone is concerned with shooting their jewels off, well then there is more at issue than just the position they carry their gun. If you’re familiar with your gun, it’s operation, your holster and how to safely draw and reholster, I don’t see a single issue with appendix carry.

5 Likes

Bruce Jenner used to carry appendix. It didnt end well for him. If you don’t believe me ask Catlin Jenner. She’ll tell you straight up.

7 Likes

How dare you! Caitlin Jenner is a beautiful butterfly flying into the wind!

3 Likes

I applaud those who can carry appendix since my big belly makes it hard to do unless I hike my pants above my belly button. Even though I carry at 3 O’clock I know clearing the gun from my clothes and having good finger control is vital to drawing and holstering a gun. This will be done by practicing. Be safe and practice.

6 Likes

I went from strong side to appendix after a bunch of smart people I trust made some convincing points. I carry a striker fired weapon that way regularly.
I also don’t practice reholstering with live rounds. I DO regularly practice reholstering with an empty pistol and have never had a ND.
One thing–this carry has gotten harder in the past several months after gaining weight. Belly weight is bad.
@Enzo_T–I jeaiously applaud your waistline.

5 Likes

Appendix just works the best for me. You had better believe that I am very careful if I reholster, but Kevin Michaelowski’s videos recommend removing your holster to reholster, then reseating your holster into its place.

5 Likes

When I carried AIWB, I had it canted, so that did not happen, but also, as everyone else, including you stated, if it is in a holster, and if you are careful, there will not be an ND.

3 Likes

Very informative video. I love this guy.

For me to carry appendix, I would have to mount it really high, my other reason for not using it. When I sit down, it just digs in otherwise.

I also put my carry away and put it back on in the holster. Trigger is never expsed unless I’m going to shoot it or moving it to another holster/bag for when I motorcycle.

2 Likes

you missed part of the last word - *shield, but more correctly, *flew into…

Maybe, maybe not. He/she is living his/her life, presumably, as he/she wishes. Don’t judge until you walk in another man’s shoes. Oh, wait… :rofl:

4 Likes

My only question in our brave new world is, if I can barely remember names, how am I supposed to remember each person’s list of pronouns?

Call me whatever you want. I’m almost impossible to offend.

4 Likes