Does your firearm have a manual safety?

Would you prefer a pistol with a manual safety?

• Yes, I like a manual safety on the firearm
  • Yes, only if it’s a grip safety
  • No, the only safety I need is between my ears
  • Other (Leave your response below)

0 voters

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/need-manual-safety/

Would you prefer a new shooter to have a manual safety?

3 Likes

My EDC does not have a manual safety but every other handgun in our house does :grin:

I have no opinion on whether a new shooter should or should not have a manual safety as long as they practice practice practice being safe with their firearm. Regardless of whether they are a new shooter or not having a manual safety in my mind requires extra vigilant training. After all in that stressful situation when you have to pull the trigger (hopefully none of us every have to) you wouldn’t want the firearm not to go bang because of human error.

6 Likes

I personally do not like a manual safety but those that do have very valid reasons. My wife is in the manual safety camp as that gives her a warm fuzzy to know that the weapon is on safe. I have weapons with manual safety and without (pistols). Most of my long guns have manual safeties on them. Whatever the shooter is comfortable with. My EDC doesn’t not have a manual safety.

Be safe and enjoy the weekend.

4 Likes

I don’t want a manual safety on my carry firearms.

My XD’s and XDM’s have the trigger safety and backstrap safety and that’s all I want.

Under stress KISS.

4 Likes

I definitely want a safety. Long years of experience have taught me that I am the weakest link in any chain of events. I know and understand all of the arguments Glock people have for why a gun should not have a safety. I simply disagree with them. I am not here to demand anybody else get a weapon with a safety, but I definitely do want one.

Glock Foot and Garand Thumb are both completely avoidable conditions that each and every person who ever had them should have avoided, but both are common enough to have terms for them. I am no better than anybody else, and if they are conditions common enough to have terms, I am sure they will afflict me just as surely as they can afflict any other person on Earth.

6 Likes

Not to generate an argument here but Glock Foot is caused by one thing and that’s not keeping your finger off the trigger.

8 Likes

I do on my regular carry gun (small thumb safety) because I like the extra safety there as I’m pulling the weapon out or putting it back (e.g. putting it into the car safe when I go into a school or post office). I don’t want to take any chance anything snags or gets caught in the trigger area causing a ND.

The key however is making sure I train accordingly. So when I’m at the range and I’m training draw and fire, the safety is on so I can incorporate into my OODA loop taking the safety off each and every draw and at speed. So when that time of stress does come along, it’s already incorporated into my muscle memory as part of my draw.

In fact on occasion when I’m firing my other guns that don’t have manual safety’s (I own both types) when I go to present, my thumb will automatically move to take the safety off (even though there isn’t one there).

I don’t think my way is necessarily “right” it’s what works for me. I have no issues with individuals that don’t like/want safety’s and wouldn’t try to change their minds if that’s what they’re comfortable with. To them I say rock on.

5 Likes

Yes. As I was saying, it is something that is completely avoidable and should always be perfectly avoided. But it is not.

2 Likes

Just pointing out it’s not the lack of a manual/mechanical safety that’s the problem.

People with manual/mechanical safeties have ND’s too because they don’t realize the safety is off and go to screwing around with the trigger or accidentally negligently expose the trigger to foreign objects or their own finger.

Believe it or not it’s not at all unheard of for hunters for example to have an ND pushing their way through brush or laying their gun down and having a dog step on it firing the gun.

3 Likes

No opinion. It seems to be personal preferences. Even for a new shooter.
I was a new shooter one day and my first choice for rental gun was M&P with thumb safety, which seemed that time to be great for my safety (still had shaking hands holding the firearm). Then I gave up this feature and purchased “regular” striker fired pistol (SAO)… however my second gun had both - grip and thumb safety.
Whatever safety option you have, just have to be sure you know how to deal with it.

3 Likes

At first blush the knee jerk reaction is “yes” or "definitely so.

Having though worked with a whole lot of new shooters over the years I have seen untold numbers of students end up putting their finger on the trigger to get a “better grip” reflexively so my opinion has changed.

1 Like

No, because my striker fired carry pistol doesn’t have or need one. If I was carrying a 1911, then yes. That is how it was designed.

3 Likes

I leave it up to the user, and what they are comfortable with. That said, if it has a safety, I sure hope they practice with it, and quite a bit.

I started out with the 1911. I trained, competed, and carried that for a long time. Later on I switched to DA/SA guns (some with safeties), so I did the same there too. So on and so forth. I heavily advocate that you train and carry the same platform. I may switch platforms for carry, but only after I have made the switch in my training as well.

I do know people that train or compete with say a Glock, but carry something that has a safety. If I ask, they rarely shoot it at all, and if they do, it is just some paper punching for a couple of mags. Sorry, that is not training and ripe for a mistake at an inopportune time when you need it most.

4 Likes

I favor safeties for new shooters based on a broader idea that to begin studying a disciplne, one starts out doing it “the hard way” until basic competence is achieved. That point is the time to begin streamlining the steps necessary to complete a process.

Regards.

3 Likes

I purchased an AREX Zero 1 Compact a few weeks ago, which has a manual safety. The last semi-auto pistol that I purchased with a safety was a Beretta 92F in the early 1990s, as I’m primarily a SiG Sauer kinda guy. I probably won’t be engaging the safety much on my new Rex 1CP, although if I wanted to carry in the locked and cocked position (hammer back on loaded chamber), then it’s nice to know that I have that option.

4 Likes

Some do some dont.

1 Like

I voted “Other” cuz my two EDCs are both striker-fired SIGs that don’t need manual safeties. I have a P320 and a P365, neither of which comes with a user-enacted safety. I prefer it this way, as if I am required to draw my firearm for protection of life, then I don’t want to have to mess with a safety of any kind before my gun is in the fight. So I could also have voted “No” and agreed with the sentiment that my safety is between my ears. The other line I like is from Black Hawk Down, when SFC “Hoot” (Eric Bana) replies to CPT Steele (Jason Isaacs) that “This is my safety.” while exercising his trigger finger.

1 Like

I like a manual safety on larger gun, like a 1911, they are easy to use. I don’t like the small safeties on guns such as the S&W Shield (I had an older one, don’t know if they have changed). They small safety is too difficult to use for me.

Plus, I ride the safety with my thumb when shooting my 1911’s.

2 Likes

I cannot image any 1911 WITHOUT thumb safety… :thinking: The thumb is there anyway…

4 Likes

I have 2 with safeties, 5 without. My CZ82 does but my FMK does not.

1 Like