Weekend training: Carrying a gun with a safety

Many new shooters want to carry a gun with a manual safety because some believe it’s an extra step to ensure there are no negligent discharges of the firearm. Many experienced shooters don’t carry a gun with a manual safety because it’s one extra barrier that needs to be overcome to be able to shoot in self-defense.

Whether you like a manual safety on your carry gun or not, there are a few things you need to do to ensure you’re carrying a firearm safely, including always using the appropriate holster for your gun and continual training with your gun.

If you carry a gun with a manual safety, you MUST train to turn off the safety as you extend your gun to shoot. If you do not train to turn off your safety, you will not remember to turn it off in a high-stress situation.

Do you recommend carrying a gun with a manual safety to those who are new to carrying?

• Yes, if you’re a new shooter.
  • No, it’s one additional step to clear before you defend yourself.
  • Do what works best for you, just train!

0 voters

Please share your tips for training with a gun that has a manual safety below.

3 Likes

The sales clerk will trying to convince you that you will die if you do or don’t have a safety, depending on what model they’re trying to sell that week.

I’m not a salesman, so I have no reason to convince anyone either way.

5 Likes

I carry with one in the chamber, hammer cocked, and thumb safety on. I practice drawing with my finger off the trigger all the way from holster removal to extension completed. The thumb safety comes off as soon as the muzzle is pointed down range, i.e., prior to beginning extension. I also shift my thumb below the thumb safety because I have pulled the trigger and it did not go bang because the grip safety was not fully engaged. I used to shoot at the range with my thumb on top of the safety and never had a problem, but have changed my grip there as well.

It sounds time consuming when it’s written out, but practicing with an empty gun in front of a mirror has helped me. Take it slow and smooth at first and over time it becomes fluid and quick.

6 Likes

Additionally…

Many new shooters don’t carry a gun with a manual safety because it’s one extra barrier that needs to be overcome to be able to shoot in self-defense.

Many experienced shooters want to carry a gun with a manual safety because some believe it’s an extra step to ensure there are no negligent discharges of the firearm.

My point is that manual safety existence has nothing to do with skill level, it’s a comfort level.

I know a person who started carrying journey with PPQ - striker fired pistol, no manual safety. Then he was introduced to 1911 platform and started shooting with manual safety (even more… 1911 has 2 manual safeties).
Because he found striker fired pistol more comfortably for carrying, he switched to M&P platform, but every pistol he owns have manual thumb safety.
Few of you have already guessed… that person is me :wink:

Do I believe that this extra step prevents from negligent discharge? YES I DO, especially when carrying AIWB.
Do I know it’s one extra barrier that needs to be overcome to be able to shoot in self-defense? YES I DO.
But everything concentrates on this: “you MUST train to turn off the safety as you extend your gun to shoot.”

Do you recommend carrying a gun with a manual safety to those who are new to carrying?

Yes, I do… but also I do recommend testing both. Then the final decision belongs to the shooter.

11 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend one way or another. It’s a personal choice, and I don’t want the responsibility of having told someone what they should do. However, I wholeheartedly agree, whatever you choose, train.

8 Likes

Frequently changing your EDC can cause confusion, that another reason I’m a wheel gun man, all the DAOs work the same, no rack slap - pull the trigger and they go bang every time. Of course remember “ DID I FIRE 5 Or DID I FIRE 6.
:us::us::us:

6 Likes

You and I are on the exact same page.
…and yet, I know this is about to devolve into yet another thread about 1911 vs Glock. :rofl:

and-here-we-go

6 Likes

I just started carrying a Sig SAO… with a thumb safety… I think I’ll avoid this debate… again. :laughing:

6 Likes

It is really a matter of muscle memory and training. First pistol I had introduction to was a 1911. By design if you carry on in the chamber then it should be carried locked and cocked safety on. But it is a big safety and intuitive to sweep it off when setting your hands upon it. Newer wonder polymer pistols over the thumb safety but they are too small. And since most are striker fired it can be an obstacle given there is usually a safety in the trigger. So I say if you carry a 1911, SAO Sig, or one along this lines and that is what you have trained years and years to do. Yes same if you just bought one. But if you have always been part of the wonder 9 generation then I would say with modern design no. Either way train often don’t just practice marksmanship. Practice that draw over and over and over again on range, and empty pistol dry fire.

5 Likes

In this day of contentious behavior, I don’t need a bunch of “steps” to be ready to defend myself. I live in a ghetto where gunfire is almost daily and sometimes more than once a day. None of my handguns have a manual safety. I religiously practice Col. Cooper’s Four Rules of Gun Safety and have for many, many years. My finger doesn’t ever go into the trigger guard until I am sure that I am ready to fire. But that is my personal take on this subject. I feel that it is the shooter’s choice and if a safety makes you comfortable, so be it. Just know that every millisecond counts when your life is on the line against a trigger happy foe.

7 Likes

Personal preference is no safety; I can’t stand them. But for you, do what works best. Don’t take advice if you think it puts you in danger or if you don’t trust yourself without a safety. You can always train your way out of it if you feel the need. Also, instead of a safety, you may consider a revolver with one empty chamber.

3 Likes

Who of us buys just one gun? I bought guns with and without a manual safety. I personally found the manual safety to be a nuisance. There were times o found that in the holster it somehow was switched off and under stress it was too easy to forget to switch it off. I prefer the guns that have the safety built into the trigger, firing pin, and drop safety. I focus training on trigger discipline and the manual safety is less of a necessity.

4 Likes

Personally I prefer a key to unlock my gun before firing it. That and biometrics makes my gun useless to someone trying to steel it. Just train to unlock and you’re good to go.

3 Likes

I use bubble wrap, too, just to be safe… gosh, imagine dropping it on your foot without the bubble wrap? :rofl:

5 Likes

thumb_here-we-go-imgflip-com-michael-jackson-popcorn-meme-imgflip-53633878

3 Likes

I have usually always carried without a safety. When I was a patrolman I carried a Glock 21- no safety. All seasons other than winter I go between my FN509 and my Glock 30-no safetys. For the thicker clothes wearing I do carry 5 inch Kimber with a manual safety that I do use. I get in that mindset and train during those months knowing I have that engaged.

2 Likes

Practice, practice, and practice.
Train, train, and train.
You had to learn to walk before you could learn to run.
Practice and train.

5 Likes

I personally carry without safeties because of cartilige loss in mt thumbs. The safeties I trust are the one between mt ears, and as an 11 year old girl once told me, as she held up her finger, “If this is off the trigger, you can’t shoot the gun.” 11 years old and as safe as can be. I shot with her, not the older guys. Just follow the rules and you won’t go to stupid jail.

3 Likes

I carry the Sig P320, I’ve been training every week with this gun, until I felt that I was comfortable with it, in-fact I still do, the training, and drills with this gun, along with others, because there’s no such thing as too much! The Sig P320 has a manual safety, I have learned to teach myself to drop that safety as I’m unholstering, while keeping my index finger above the trigger guard, below the slide. This works every time for me, I even catch myself running my Glocks like they have one lately. I’d rather keep that habit, instead of forgetting my safety. So there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a safety, you just need to train, and run drills, just like any other firearm. You’re only as quick, as what you know, with what’s in your hands.

4 Likes

I live in CA., so the manual safety is required on all firearms. You get used to them. If you train enough, it will be inconsequential to your timing and accuracy. Not a hindrance, and they do add that extra layer of safety. Mandatory? No. I don’t believe that a firearm that does not have a manual safety should be illegal to own. Be a responsible, and well trained firearm owner. Follow the gun owners creed, and be responsible.

5 Likes