Weekend training: Carrying a gun with a safety

It absolutely is more safe. I have a safety on all my firearms except the Sigs that I own.

I trained and it is part of my muscle memory to flip the safety off during extension. It takes me NO extra time to do this. If I fire my sig, or any other handgun my thumb as part of my muscle memory try’s to flip a safety off during this phase of my draw.

3 Likes

Until, as one of the first firearm safety rules I recall learning from my father at a very young age, safeties are mechanical devices that can and do fail.

4 Likes

3 season firearm has a thumb safety, in winter I carry one without. Practiced for a long time clicking it off as I grab the grip. Up & ready in one move. That said the only thing better than a 1911 45acp is a 1911 10 mm. Just me

3 Likes

My normal EDC is a DAO SCCY CPX-2. No safety. However it comes at a price. The long stiff 9 lb trigger takes lots of practice to become proficient with. With over 2,000 rounds downrange, I’ve mastered it. Love the simplicity and size.

I also carry a Taurus G2C. I just recently got comfortable enough to carry with a chambered round and safety on.

I have excellent holsters for both.

1 Like

Blacky, I’m with you. I carry a DAO semiautomatic, a SCCY CPX-2. The best of both worlds.

2 Likes

I don’t recommend one way or the other. I prefer no mechanical safety for my carry gun, for a reason not mentioned. What if I’m incapacitated, and someone else needs to use my firearm to defend themselves and me, like my wife. My muscle memory becomes irrelevant. Point gun, squeeze trigger is pretty self explanatory.
For what I would recommend to others, get a gun that you will carry, and train with that gun as much as you can.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @David1252 !

I am unaware of any requirements for manual safeties in CA. I know MA requires handguns to either have manual safeties or heavy trigger pulls.

I prefer no manual safeties on a handgun. The gun is in my hand ready to be fired or in a holster that covers the trigger. Though I can see some circumstances where a manual safety MIGHT be safer and understand why many prefer to have them.

One concern I have for new shooters with manual safeties is they may get a false sense of security from them and not be as careful with trigger discipline as they would be without the safety. If you can’t remember to keep your finger off the trigger can you remember to turn on the safety every time?

3 Likes

^^^ This!

4 Likes

It’s like a parking brake, isn’t it? They can make it mandatory that you have one, but it’s up to you whether to use it or not.

4 Likes

Good point. But you still have to make sure you don’t accidentally engage the brake in case you need to take off in a hurry;)

3 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ever accidentally engaged the brake, but I have forgotten to release it once or twice. :laughing:

Back to the original question, I’m still not giving anyone advice about safeties. Carry the firearm that works best for you. It doesn’t matter what I like.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Don135 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

I am sure that the advent firearm individual is aware that many pistol do not come equipment by the manufacturer with manual operated safety’s. That said, whether you have one or not, it is up to the individual to train properly with the device they have and feel comfortable in the application. Essentially DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU and Train.

I have viewed both users and instructors advise their students or friends there is only one way to do things. It is good to see and learn from them shared experiences, but one way does not work for everyone.

4 Likes

I would suggest going to a local gun club and speak with the range officers and members. Take some classes before you make a decision on the type of gun you are going to purchase, striker action (Glock), 1911, DA/SA (Sig, HK etc). Once you have the fundamentals down you can then make an informed decision on the type of gun you are going to carry. Chances are you are going to end up owning more than one gun.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Steven370 . As the Lays potato chip commercials used to say “Bet you can’t have (eat) just one”.:wink:

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Steven370 and god bless you.

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome, much appreciated.

2 Likes

Appreciate the welcome. Look forward to reading all the informed comments and points of view. Hopefully, I can add to the reading entertainment.

2 Likes

My usual EDC M&P Shield has a safety, but my midsized pistols do not.

For the Shield, I engage the safety when I’m holstering and unholstering the gun, and when I’m unchambering a round for range/dry-fire practice/cleaning. It’s also engaged when I’m putting on or removing the holster+gun on my belt. But when it’s in place on my belt, I turn the safety off so it’s “hot”. When it sits in holster in my safe, safety is also off.

I think this scheme is a good balance of risk management, though it’s probably lowering risk by 0.0001 %.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @SteveKane !

I think your strategy is sound as long as you practice sweeping the safety off every time you draw. This way if the safety accidentally gets pushed on or you accidentally forget to turn it off you are not in for an unpleasant surprise when you pull the trigger in an emergency.

3 Likes