Adopting Appendix Carrt

Have you considered Appendix Carry?

There are some advantages and disadvantages and I carefully weighed both before making the switch.

Here is my journey to Adopting AIWB.

3 Likes

Good article. Thx for posting.
I did that switch already and found it to be a good move.
The 2nd safety rule can be violated if remaining 3 are still in place.

With a good AIWB holster and proper firearm handling (meaning practice) the safety violation is not a problem anymore.

Being IL resident, appendix carry is the best way for concealment for me

I have also made the switch to appendix carry. I love how comfortable it is. I can put on my appendix sidecar rig and forget that it is there. I love that I don’t have to worry about printing or worry about my shirt coming up and getting caught on it.

1 Like

Not for me. 1) too much “overhang”. 2) don’t want a loaded gun pointing at my junk.

4 Likes

Considered. Tried out, fair trial to several of the “all the rage” holsters. Not for me.

With something like 80% of negligent discharges being in/out of the holster, that’s just another ‘why’ for me, personally, to stay behind the hip

I appendix carry and love it, very comfortable and conceals great. I am not flat bellied, and have no problem, as I use the one developed by the heavyset guy Spencer Keepers mentioned in the article.

I like appendix carry. It’s a summertime option for me. I really like my “Keeper” and it’s full size so I’ll throw that on the hip owb for the winter months. My aiwb option, “Bull”, is a little guy at just over 3” barrel. It’s like it’s not even there.

1 Like

Big guys can appendix carry. Spencer Keepers is a big guy and also an AIWB expert. I will admit it takes some time to get over the muzzle direction. ND’s are a concern, but they are a result of a combination of negligence and unsafe techniques, which is the same as breaking more than one of the 4 safety rules.

1 Like

I’m truly torn on this. On the one hand, appendix draw is super fast compared to a 5 o’clock draw. On the other, I haven’t found a configuration that’s even half as comfortable as carrying at 5.

I can go all day, do yard work, drive 500 miles, almost without noticing I’m carrying behind my back, but can barely even sit with appendix. And it’s not like I’m carrying a full-size, just a P365.

I’m going to keep on this, but I’m not there yet.

I’ll be honest, as I mentioned in the article, it took me a solid 2 weeks of pain to adjust to AIWB. I have been using a Vedder LightTuck for strong side carey and that proved to be the best option initially for me when I switched to appendix. I had to add a claw , adjust ride height, cant and add a homemade wedge, but it works well now.

2 Likes

I came back to defensive carry after a few decades away to find appendix carry all the rage. Didn’t take but a few days of skeptical fiddling around with where on the waist to carry that I decided to put some attention on whether I could carry in front of the hip.

I didn’t tolerate discomfort without changing something after a few hours or a day — waist position, ride height, holsters, wedges, claws, belts, clothing. I spent a couple months going through various gyrations to find my fit. If I had landed in the correct spot right off, it was a $15 belt, a $40 holster, and making them all sit in the right place. It’s accessible, concealed, and not in the way of 95% of things I do. For the other 5%, I’ll move the holster from 2 o’clock to 10 o’clock, so my clothing or gun don’t get beat up by a chainsaw or brushcutter bouncing on my right hip.

It is my opinion that a functional pistol in a proper holster simply cannot be “pointed at” anything — whether you want to destroy it or not. Taking the gun out and putting it away does require attention and technique to avoid muzzling yourself — but it’s mechanics, not magic.

I can no longer fit my head into a place where on or behind the hip seems a practical concealed carry option. But everybody gets to bang their own drum. :drum:

2 Likes

I switched to appendix a couple of years ago and have never looked back. I think the secret to comfort is to have your firearm resting as low as possible, just allowing enough of the grip above the belt to get a secure grip when you draw. Also, if you carry a spare mag I recommend a holster with a built-in mag folder. Double belt clips are better than one (keeps the holster from rotating). Besides, having two separate items on your belt can be annoying at times. Most importantly- practice your draw (safety first…no ammo), then practice some more, then some more, etc. If your local range permits live draw & fire, so much the better.

1 Like

Great article and videos. I too was VERY hesitant to carry AIWB for the common concern of comfort and where the muzzle is pointed.

Changing over has been the best carry decision I think I have made. My favorite aspect of AIWB is I really just feel more in control of my firearm. When it was on my side around 4 o’clock position I felt that I didn’t have FULL control and that it could pop out and be seen much easier. Being right in front of me, I will always know it’s hidden and also less likely to be taken if someone does notice it and wants to do harm to me or others. I’ve seen too many videos of people’s firearms being taken out of their holsters on their side.

For anyone considering switching, my best advice would be to invest in a high-quality belt and holster (should be the case for any carry, but definitely with AIWB).

I lost my appendix to peritonitis when I was 11.
I don’t want to lose anything else down there :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I am also not so flat-bellied and I just got a new full-sized Glock 22 with a flared magwell, and it conceals great.

1 Like

I just bought another one for Shield plus with the 4" barrel. I tried another Holster to save a few bucks and then had to kick myself as I did not like it, should have originally gone with what I know I liked.

:grin:
This is where the individual trial and error has to play.

For me, the secret to comfort is having the pistol ride as high as practical without the grip weight starting to tip outward. Then the holstered pistol doesn’t interfere with bending, sitting, high-kicking, etc. I ended up putting shorter clips than originally supplied on every holster I still use. Front strap of pistol grip is a full inch above the belt — which also makes for a quick secure grab at the draw.

At 2 o’clock the high grip rides and conceals nicely alongside my gut. At 12 o’clock, maybe the low muzzle doesn’t have a leg to jam into. But 12 o’clock or 2 o’clock; high or low ride; wedges, claws, or a different clip — I just don’t think there is a single correct holster or setup for every gun and every body.

Reading various “how to’s,” I tried playing around with high vs. low. High is definitely better for me; low, and the muzzle end digs into my lower gut when I sit. This difference, I’m sure has a lot to do with where one sets their pants waistline.

An issue I’m finding is that single wide clip on my Blackpoint AIWB doesn’t fit well between my belt buckle and loop. Putting it on the other side of the loop blocks my pocket. Maybe I need to put on 20 lbs to add a couple of inches and give myself more room. :grimacing:

Could be. I don’t have a lot over the point of my pelvis at 3:00/9:00, so a firm belt needs to ride snug and up at my waist in order to not saw into bone after a while. That raises an issue with trousers cut with a short rise. For me, sitting and bending depends on where around the waistline — 12:00 puts the gun up into my gut; 1:00 puts the muzzle down into my thigh and the grip still into my gut; 2:00 clears both leg and gut and conceals well into the hollow just ahead of my hip.

That style clip hasn’t worked for me — thick plastic clip on the thickest part of the gun/holster just makes a big lump which won’t conceal without a bunch of extra props and stays to horse things in and out and around to produce a smooth profile. And, as you point out, it’s harder to finesse between belt loops if they don’t happen to be perfectly placed and spaced.

There ought to be another path. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
I found my place with relatively inexpensive holsters which have proven their durability, comfort, and security to my satisfaction.

The .380 is in a DeSantis; the M&P in a Concealment Express. Both have replacement clips to get the ride height I want, and the CE has been adapted a bit from how it was delivered.

1 Like

Try rotating your buckle to the side so it doesn’t interfere with your holster.