How do you carry:

I’ve never carried AIWB (appendix, inside, waist band), but I know a lot of people who swear by it. Then there are those who are sure you’ll shoot important parts of your anatomy carrying there. I don’t agree with that - otherwise any IWB carry would cause injury.

Do you carry AIWB? What advice do you give those who want to try it?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/how-to-concealed-carry-a-firearm-aiwb/

I don’t AIWB, because at 6’1” and 270 lbs, it’s not comfortable. I do worry about pointing a pistol that direction. Not because “guns go off” but, because negligent discharges do happen. If I were to make a mistake bad enough to ND, I’d rather 45 slug to the gluteus Maximus, than the femoral artery. At either rate, it isn’t comfortable for me when seated(I did try it with an unloaded weapon)

5 Likes

I carry IWB, occasionally OWB with a shirt over, not tucked in. I have a few IWB tuckable holsters. I carry strong side, about 3:30-4:00 at 15-20° forward cant to hide my grip. I don’t carry anything smaller than a Glock 19, so the forward cant helps.

4 Likes

IWB 3:30-4 position. AIWB hits me in the wrong “spot” when I sit down.

5 Likes

AIC or AIL :grin:
Ok, that’s appendix inside corset, or appendix inside (carry) leggings. For the big frames I carry crossdraw in either corset or leggings because it puts the pointy end outside thigh, not femoral artery side.
The new G30 is at the dealer!!! So I may try it appendix strong side draw on corset or leggings, or 4:30 strong side… dont know what will work yet.
I do have both IWB and OWB holsters I can carry strong side appendix but nothing is even close to the dont-even-feel-it of the corset or leggings

2 Likes

I have no desire to carry that way. I carry either IWB at 7 O’clock with a Crossbreed SuperTuk or Behind the Back with a Sticky holster. Oh, and yes, I’m weird - Left Handed!!!

1 Like

It took a little research and decision making before I decided to carry AIWB. Personal safety protocols dictated a strong Kydex holster as well as a belt that would carry it without much flexing, and to ensure the trigger guard was completely covered while carrying. I carry a SIG P365 which is just the right size and capacity for such carry. A larger gun may not work for some due to size restrictions.
I purchased a Vedder LightTuck because of its ability to allow for a shirt to be tucked, as well as its narrow profile and ease of attachment. It conceals well and is very comfortable considering… Also purchased an Exos Gun Belt of English Bridal Leather, with stainless hardware. A very strong belt.
I find that carrying AIWB is more comfortable while sitting, especially in a hard backed chair, compared to anywhere behind the back or side. As for sitting in a vehicle, carrying AIWB gives more complete and easy access to my firearm should the event arise where I need to draw the gun.

2 Likes

I bought my P365 through PPT(Private Party Transfer) and it came with a Tier1 Axis Slim AIWB holster. I never gave it a second look. Then I was cycling through carry with my belly band , SiG Sauer Ambi holster and Tulster Profile. I decided to try out the appendix carry and it concealed better than I ever imagined! It had a space for a spare mag & felt workable while sitting down & walking around. I’m definitely leaning toward this method more now. My body time is very thin, like 130lbs and about 5’8". Only issue is that My pants are size 30 and it’s gonna take a while to buy more sized 32 but I will.

1 Like

OWB @ 8 oclock (southpaw) or pocket carry, depending on where I’m headed and how I’m dressed. My 938 has logged a lot of carry miles in the pocket. My new 365 will be belt carry only.

2 Likes

I think early on I tried just about everything (and have the holsters in an old box to prove it) I ended up at the 4:00 behind the right hip, just above my wallet carry. For years my pager, flip phone or Blackberry sat right in front which aided in the obfuscation that there was a gun under there. I find that even on full size pistols if I stand up straight they don’t flag. To be fair I am “Aerodynamic” 6’-2" 165 - 180 lbs, I have been wearing 33" britches for 15 years. When I joined the Navy in 1985 I was a 28" and have the parachute pants to prove it :sunglasses:

I settled on a Bianchi 3S holster and a contoured Bianchi belt (B21???) and have been wearing it for 20+ years. I bought the same holster for a full size 1911 and a Berretta 92F which also fit my EAA Witness CZ-75 which came to good use when I did security at an Embassy in some back woods crap hole. I insist on a thumb brake as I had my 1911 Officer’s hit the floor when I reached above my head and my shirt caught.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

OWB for me. I bought jeans a couple of sizes bigger in the waist for future IWB carry. I found them to be a self fulfilling prophecy… :smile:

I have a few friends that carry AIWB, not for me. If you are comfortable with AIWB, it seems to have a few advantages, much easier to draw if you have a seat belt on, or at a table.

3 Likes