Best carry method for skinny people

I’m skinny and prefer carrying owb over iwb. Why? First, after carrying iwb for a few hours, it feels like my tail has a bruise. I wear an over shirt always. How do those of you that are skinny prefer to carry?

1 Like

Have you considered pocket carry?

I’m a larger guy so:
IWB tends to push into my side/back too much.
OWB tends to get caught on things and harder to hide. Also I don’t like wearing jackets/overcoats all the time.

I pocket carry very comfortably.
The only scenario I’ve found where I might have difficulty is a vehicle with the seat-belt on.

2 Likes

For me, iwb appendix.

2 Likes

Right now my G45 seems too big for appendix carry. Why I’m considering a sub-compact.

1 Like

I am in Texas. 90% of the time, I wear cargo shorts and a teeshirt. I am old and chubby. Pocket carry is my choice.

1 Like

I have been “Aerodynamic” all my life, joined the Navy with a 28" waist, retired 10 years ago and still have a 32" waist at about 175 lbs. I got up to a 34" + and near 200 lbs once and I really felt like hell. I have been carrying IWB right hip for most of my adult life. My primary carry is my Stainless Officer’s Model 1911 (heavy for the package), but I have carried the Berretta M-9 (92F) as well as various other full size pistols in the same position. I have found that a quality gun belt and a cant adjustable IWB holster is the cure to a lot of issues. My preferred gun belt is a Bianchi B-21 contoured, unfortunately the “smallest” size is 32" but you can add one extra hole without looking too obvious. My IWB holster is the Bianchi #3S it has a “cant disk” on the belt loop that allows you to adjust the cant to your exact requirements. It also has my required thumb brake retention strap.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I’m leaning toward owb and appendix. Really don’t wanna jump into buying pants one size up just yet.

1 Like

Aerodynamic! Here I am thinking that I came up with that

2 Likes

I could probably hide behind a light pole.

1 Like

Me neither, afraid they’d drop to my knees while walking.

1 Like

Same here. I tried hip and back hip. Didn’t like the feel.

I use an Alien Gear shoulder holster with a light over shirt. Works extremely well and you can adjust can’t and straps to fit. Made of leather and had interchangeable shells for sale for different weapons. I usually carry a Glock 43 and 2 magazines on the opposite side. I was a little skeptical at first but I love it after a few days of use. Been wearing it for over a year now. Good luck

+1 on pocket carry. A good holster (Alabama or Mika for example) will effectively hide a smaller piece w/out any problem-sin 938; Sig 365; Springfield xds. I sometimes carry owb, but I can’t abide iwb(not comfortable) and appendix carry I found (1) not comfortable when seated and (2) I frankly get a bit worried pointed a loaded weapon at myself). YMMV

John, you need to get on the appendix carry bandwagon. I am not a skinny fellow, but I am always envious of those who are because you can easily conceal any number of weapons that I can’t. One of the shooters I most envy is Lucas Botkin of TRex Arms, he’s a skinny dude who runs a Glock 19 with light and optic and spare mag. One heck of a shooter too, as you can see here.

1 Like

Just another thought here. Have you checked out Sneaky Pete holsters? They basically hide in plain sight. Some are nice leather, others are nylon and look like some kind of sport or tech pack on your waist. With a decent belt they work quite well.

I carry AIWB with a T-Rex Arms sidecar for my full size handgun and it conceals well and comfortably. I plan on upgrading to a Tier 1 holster soon enough.

1 Like

Tier1 Axis Slim is the way to go. Conceals excellently in my opinion