W T.S.H.T.F - Carry Position

WeaK side pepper spray or knife.

3 Likes

In case you have not seen this on the USCCA site, here is a dandy little support hand drill. Start slow - slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Enjoy the drill.
Non-Dominant Hand Drill
This drill simulates the shooters loss of function in the dominant arm/hand.
The drill is first practiced two times using an unloaded handgun and an empty spare mag.
During live fire only one shooter fires at a time.

Preparation
ā€¢ Four rounds of ammo are required.
ā€¢ Shooter has two rounds in firearm: one round chambered and one in the magazine.
ā€¢ Shooter has back up mag with two rounds.
ā€¢ B27 target at 5 yds.

Drill

1. The shooter lets their dominant hand dangle limp at their side.
  2. At the ā€œTHREATā€ command the shooter uses their non-dominant hand to move their dominant hand out of the way (if necessary).
  3. The shooter draws their weapon using the non-dominant hand, placing the weapon between their knees with the grip facing forward.
  4. The shooter then gains a secure grip with their non-dominant hand, aims, and fires two rounds into the target. After firing shooter looks right/left.
  5. When the slide locks to the rear the shooter ejects the first mag, places the handgun between their knees (grip facing forward), draws the second mag, and inserts it into their firearm.
  6. While keeping their weapon pointed in a safe direction, shooter releases slide and re-establishes a firm grip on their weapon with the non-dominant hand.
  7. Shooter returns to high ready position, aims, and fires until back up mag is empty, and slide is locked back. After firing shooter looks right/left.
  8. Re-holster firearm with slide locked back; return it to the bench.
4 Likes

This is a good course of fire for weak hand draw.

I have never felt that I had acceptable control of the gun or my mobility with the gun between my knees. I am more stable, more in control of the firearm, and more quickly done with a weak hand draw if I pull the gun upside down and roll it against my body to acquire a firing grip, and to reload by sticking the gun backward into the holster to obtain and insert the reload.

Either way, practice a lot with a dry gun to confirm that you donā€™t muzzle things you intend to keep and can maintain control of the firearm throughout. :leftwards_hand: :leftwards_arrow_with_hook: Nobody on the internet will accept responsibility for experimental mishaps, me included.

2 Likes

Agreed with @techs. Keeping handgun between knees makes you completely unstable and you have limited control of firearm and whatever happens around you.

Better (at least for me and my fellow shooters) is to kneel down putting your pistol behind knee-joint. Your firearm sits tight like in vice and you never lose your stability. There is no need to focus on the mag change so you can scan the environment around you.

3 Likes

That seems pretty stable. I have some ankle flexibility issues that makes a lot of kneeling postures iffy for me, but Iā€™ll have to give this a try when the ground gets softer. In a training/range context, how do you keep shooters to your left and right from freaking out? Or do I misunderstand how the pistol is oriented?

2 Likes

Unfortunately this technique brakes a safety ruleā€¦ but doesnā€™t appendix carry do the same? :smirk:

The muzzle goes inward, so when we practice this itā€™s done one person at the time.
In a real life nobody cares where the muzzle is pointed when you fight for your life. And additionally, you know that there is no ammo in the chamberā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Um, noā€¦ Not unless thereā€™s some unaddressed problem with equipment, technique, or physique. I was sure Iā€™d also seen a good video using a projected laser sight or boresight demonstrating just how hard it is to actually sweep yourself with good technique. I was thinking Active Self Protection, but it might have been elsewhere ā€” I canā€™t find it now. Anyway, no. Iā€™ve examined the question to my satisfaction, and do not see that appendix requires any safety rule violation.

In any event, I agree that when you need to improvise under duress not everything will be as youā€™d like it to be ā€” and attempting to safely practice your intended solutions is an important undertaking.

Oh. Because you only use this ā€œknee viseā€ for reloading, or because you only practice the technique dry? I assumed you would use the same technique to reverse grip on the draw, and would practice with ammunition after sufficient rehearsal. No?

2 Likes

Iā€™m still convinced that appendix carry violates safety ruleā€¦ and Iā€™m sure about it because Iā€™m doing this every day. :wink:
Good equipment and technique can only limit the time of this violation.

Anyway, Iā€™m completely OK with it and have nothing against.

Regarding ā€œknee viceā€ā€¦ Iā€™ve been using it for reloading only, so even the muzzle is pointed in wrong direction, I donā€™t feel bad doing this. If we look closer at regular reloading mechanism we can see that people are pointing the muzzle everywhere, not realizing that they are doing this. :slightly_smiling_face:
This technique is going to be used in real emergency, probably between other peopleā€¦and in most of such situations itā€™s impossible to find or think about ā€œsafe directionā€. We do whatever has to be done to win the fight and survive.

2 Likes

I donā€™t count a holstered gun in a quality holster when it comes to this (not that Iā€™m going to point a holstered a gun at people on purpose :joy::rofl:).

However, one of my motivations was when I carried at 4 oā€™clock was when I walked by someone felt like I flagged them. I felt like if Iā€™m going to flag anyone it should be me, even if it is my :cherries::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:. I donā€™t feel this way anymore, but aiwb is a win win all around in my opinion. It definitely takes some getting used to.

(I am not attacking your original part about the gun tucked behind the leg. If you are doing one handed manipulations in a bad situation, Iā€™m sure flagging your leg is the least of your worries :joy::joy:).

3 Likes

And thatā€™s the truth.

Definitely flagging in stable position is more secure than keeping handgun (pointed in safe direction) between the knees. Iā€™ve been taught to ā€œcontrol and master your firearm, never let it fall from your handsā€ (or knees in this case :slightly_smiling_face:.)

3 Likes

Reach across with weak hand and draw, fire gun upside down with pinky on trigger.

2 Likes

:joy:
Yeahā€¦ I love instructions showing crazy stuff which has nothing to real life and actually proves nothing .

BTWā€¦ One time I was able to stand upside down on my head and hit a center mass from 15 feet using SIRT pistol. :muscle: That moment I realized that none of shooting fundamentals matter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

On the contrary, for pistol shooting, it shows there are two fundamentals that prevail above all else

*Sight on target
*Actuate trigger without disruptive that sight picture

You can get as much into grip and stance and breathing and all the other stuff you want, but for an individual shot, if you want to simplifyā€¦put the front sight on the target and work the trigger without moving that front sight. Everything else is just more ways to make that happen

3 Likes

Agreed with fundamentalsā€™ priority - AIMING and TRIGGER CONTROL are the two most needed to hit the target.
But when we put the shooter into dynamic situation without stable stance (or proper movement) and good grip you can forget about hitting the the target with AIMING and TRIGGER CONTROL only.

My point is that we donā€™t need to do everything exactly how it is written in manuals, but when we teach others and try to make them good shooters, we cannot bypass basics.
Instructors or long time shooters can do a lot of stuff differently, but it doesnā€™t mean this difference is good for others.

Coming back you last video. Shooting pistol upside down with pinky is cool, but is it really key to shooting success? :smirk: It maybe shows that trigger control is needed and good grip not exactlyā€¦ butā€¦ letā€™s try to shoot this way in the crowd. :sweat_smile:
Iā€™m still advocating ā€œhave a full control on the firearmā€ :point_up:

3 Likes

Itā€™s not key to shooting success, IMO, any more than being able to draw and fire your carry gun exclusively with your support hand is key. The odds of needing to do these things are so low that, personally, Iā€™d rather spend that finite training/practice/mental rehearsal time on things that are far more likely to be the key to success. And in this case, a guy with a bat, I myself feel confident that, if he is close enough to be an imminent deadly threat with that bat, heā€™s close enough I could hit him with an upside down gun using my pinky. Which does happen to be what Iā€™d have right after drawing my strong side hip carried gun with my off hand.

As to the discussion above about how to switch the gun between hands or switch how you grip it, etc, Iā€™m going to go with what was recommended by Frank Proctor in a classā€¦set the gun down and then pick it back up. Yes this requires being stationary for a moment, but instead of fumbling around with a gun awkwardly changing hands while injured or whatever elseā€¦set it down on the ground, trunk or hood of car, counter, whatever youā€™re buy, and then pick it back up. Why cram it between your knees standing still probably pointing it at yourselfā€¦when you can just put it down and pick it backup?

1 Like

The kneeling position is for reloading only, not for switching the hands. It can be used for either hand, but in this thread we were discussing the non dominant one.

I agree that switching the handgun between the hands is easier when it is lying somewhere. But for one hand reload you need the firearm to be stabilized somehow.

2 Likes

Oh okay. I must have skimmed too much there. Yes that makes sense.

One hand reloads are one of those things Iā€™ve practiced, but donā€™t, personally, really care about, again, due to the oddsā€¦so so so unlikely, Iā€™d rather spend that finite resource of training time/etc on something more likely to be the key. But yeah Iā€™ve practiced those, right down to the ledge of the rear sight or the optic on the heel of my shoe/boot for racking the slide, etc. Itā€™s something I do believe is worth going through the steps of at least one time so that, somewhere in the brain, you know itā€™s a possibility, even if you donā€™t continue to train it.

2 Likes

Fully agree. No needs to spend too much time practicing something that may never occur. However it good to know how to do this efficiently if needed.
I personally practiced this once the day I was introduced to this technique. I found this working great for me and I was 100% confident I could do this whenever needed since then.
If I recall I had to use one hand reload once for last 2 years. No real threat, just training session. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

ā€˜Between the kneesā€™ enables you to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction throughout the exercise. Personally, I find the position quite stable.

1 Like

Not picking on youā€¦ but have you ever tried this between other people? Or ask somebody to push you once you keep handung between the knees.

Iā€™m sorry to be so ā€œaggressiveā€ about it, but this Community is about giving advices and learn the best from variety of options.
Practicing at shooting line or doing something alone is ok to test the ability, but everything has to be verified at environment which is closest to real life. And life is not stationary.

2 Likes