W T.S.H.T.F - Carry Position

Scenario: You have found your perfect CC holster and perfected your sub-3 second draw. With the first swing of his baseball bat the aggressor mangles your strong side hand. Have you planned for this contingency? If so, what is your plan? (Someone posed this question to me a while back and forced me to rethink everything I thought I knew about carrying concealed.)

5 Likes

Run away.

8 Likes

Like Forrest Gump…

8 Likes

Not trying to be a fart, but why are we letting an aggressor get close with a bat when we have a boom stick?

20 Likes

We train for the possibility, not the probability. If you like, assume the aggressor is 20 yds away, beats you to the draw (or fires from concealment) and puts a round through the palm of your hand. How will you get your firearm into action?

5 Likes

If you allowed the baseball bat hit you, your 3 second-ish draw is too slow or your tactic sucks.

Appendix or cross draw carry is the solution. Handgun can be drawn with either hand. Six o’clock is also good option…but who carries this way… :thinking:

9 Likes

In my opinion, if the perp mangled your strong side, any attempt at weak side draw will simply result in a second mangled hand. You lost right “off the bat.”

16 Likes

Gold Star! That is how I changed my carry position (AIWB). Practicing and perfecting an unassisted support hand draw and tactical reload is challenging, but a very interesting exercise, to say the least.

4 Likes

Though I carry AIWB these days, If you have the flexibility, 5 o’clock carry will also work. In fact, that would be a more natural way to grab the gun for me than cross draw AIWB. I wonder if one would be able to get a gun out same side shoulder holster as well.

4 Likes

If(big if) the first swing of a ball bat takes out your strong hand, you need to rethink not just how you carry a firearm, but your self defense strategy all together. That said, I’ll play along.
1st-RUN! An attacker, with a deadly weapon has the drop on you. If you draw a gun with your other hand, they are going to bat that gun out of your hand.
2. Running not an option, body check them. A bat is a ranged weapon. The big end, 3 feet away from the attackers hand is the dangerous part. Put your should down, and body rush them. Knock them off balance, so you can run, or get the bat away from them.
3. If running is successful, find cover. From cover, use the environment to aid in unholstering your pistol, so you can get it with your other hand.
All of this with the knowledge, that in reality, an attacker with a bat, is going for a body shot, or a blow to the back of the head. If someone is approaching with a bat, and they aren’t carrying a ball and glove, why did you let them have a shot at your strong hand? You should’ve blocked with your weak hand. Why did you let them get that close to start with?

14 Likes

Good point Larry. We like to train for all eventualities. So I tried it with my G-Sight. Not so good. I carry at 4:30 so the reach is difficult. I’m going to try to figure out a method.

4 Likes

Agreed

6 Likes

Hmmmm ok so carry 2 firearms, no screwing around. How to grab this, how to grab that. 2 is 1 & 1 is none. Heard that somewhere…lol

7 Likes

Mike164…this scenario is the reason I moved from 4 o’clock to AIWB. Firearm and spare mag reachable with either hand. There are online drills addressing support hand draw from appendix position (USCCA or PDN as I recall). I will upload to this discussion thread.

4 Likes

Backup in an ankle holster. I can draw it equally well with either hand.

4 Likes

I think weak side draw and shooting should be a part of everyone which chooses to carry. I taught me children’s to always expect the unexpected.

7 Likes

1- 45 in a chest harness, one strapped to my strong side leg, AR strapped around my shoulder. 12 - 45 mags on my belt, 12 AR mags attached to vest. Armor and flash bangs and smoke grenades.

4 Likes

@45IPAC seems to have the most comprehensive response — which sort of boils down to, if you can’t beat the bad guy with your 2-sec strong hand draw, you’re not likely to follow up faster with your 5-sec weak hand draw. Better have a different immediate action drill for that contingency.

That said, there are circumstances where being able to get in the game with a weak hand draw might be useful — if you figure out a carry position and practice. Otherwise, not…

4 Likes

Could You Weak-Hand Draw If You Had To? - The Armory Life

By Massad Ayoob

BTW, I do shoulder stretching every day. I believe that is why I am able to draw with my left hand with holster forward canted at 4:00. I can reach it either from the front or reaching around the back. It is not a 2 second draw and fire, but desperate situations call for desperate responses.

5 Likes

Absolutely this.

3 Likes