To Glock or Not to Glock?

Intresting. About the only thing I feel certain of in this is that it was a light strike. Just looking at the primer it was absolutely obvious that the strike was no where near as deep as normal and could not have crushed the anvil inside the primer. I saved my brass, maybe I’ll make a coffee and see if I can fine one with a double mark. Picture to follow if I get lucky and that one isnt in the crack between cement slabs.

There were three different striker/firing pin patterns in the brass I brought home. Only one of which was off center. No double strike that I found in the off center ones. Oh well…

Hmmm ill keep askin around for a answer!

I started with the Smith & Wesson M & P series because at the time the Glock was too large for my small hands. At the time the M & P series had just been intraduced with the adjustable back strap, now everyone has them and also the smaller hand guns for the people with smaller hands. So now years later I have never owned a Glock. I do own about all of the different model semi autos from Smith & Wesson M & P’s

1 Like

A while back I needed to purchase a tennis racket. I think the last one I bought was in college and that one is long gone. I had no idea of the latest improvements blessed upon tennis rackets by technology, so I consulted a friend who is a tennis pro,
This is what he told me: Buy one that’s in a color you like.
If you like the look of it, you’ll take it out and play with it more.
The only way to discover what exactly you want in a tennis racket is to play tennis
Play tennis and that racket will help inform your choices.

I think that advise applies to handguns as well (more or less.)

6 Likes

A “lite strike” can be mimicked by a primer that is not fully seated. The firing pin strike “finishes” setting the primer fully, and while the primer is dented, the anvil within the primer was not struck with sufficient force to set it off. Often these type of rounds will fire on the 2nd strike.

After several failures to fire, I checked the box of ammo and discovered a number of primers that were flush with the bottom of the cartridge instead of recessed slightly, as were most. These in fact turned out to be the offending rounds. All of them fired on the 2nd strike. It was fortunate that I was shooting a double action pistol at the time as it would have been a headache to have to fully re-chamber each round.

1 Like

I must say when I first got in to firearms I did not like Glock at all. I didn’t like the way they looked felt finger groves plastic sights plastic mags and everyone else loved them so I had to be different and really liked the M&P. So much in fact I bought the full size the 9c and the shield and then purchased a 2.0 when they came out and then purchased another 2.0. I really liked the M&p but one day I purchased my son a glock 19 bb gun but before he got it i had to get some time with it and I was shocked I loved how it felt in my hands now I liked how it pointed so I couldn’t stop thinking about how much i liked it so much i kept sneaking my son bb gun to mess around with so i made a choice to sell something out of the safe and then purchased a grey glock 19 gen 4 and put a magpul magwell on it and have carried it all of my previous thoughts were changed so much I also purchased a gen 5 19 mos

Being a Glock owner and a certified Glock armorer I have to say I am a lover of Glocks. I personally carry a Glock 43x and will soon be getting the 43x MOS. I do NOT like the trigger. It hurts my fingers if I am shooting a lot but have plans to change out with an Apex. I don’t think they are especially nice looking guns but I don’t buy a carry gun because it looks nice. I want something that fits my hand and ALWAYS goes bang when I pull the trigger. I honestly lost count as to how many rounds I have fired through my 43 and now 43x but it’s a lot. I have never had a malfunction of any kind. No feeding problems, no ejection problems. They just eat what you feed them. And the simplicity of disassembly and cleaning, etc. Having an FFL I have convinced customers to buy a Glock just by showing them how simple they are to disassemble. Having said that, I do like S&W also and a big fan of Sigs. But at least for now(might change in the future, who knows) I will always have my Glock with me and KNOW I can depend on it always.
Thanks for your imput on the Glocks also.

2 Likes

Ran into a similar issue with some cheap Wolf 5.56 in a S&W AR (not my rifle, not my ammo). There was a warning on their website not to fire it through S&W rifles due to firing out of battery.

Saw a guy shooting some, stopped him and inspected the ammo. Never did have any fire out of battery, but there certainly was a nice little dimple in the primer every time we manually cycled a round.

1 Like

Are you saying that even if all you did was cycle the round through the gun, without pulling the trigger, that it would come out with a dimple in the primer? Or were these “failed to fire” rounds you extracted?

Welcome @KenC! You’re in good hands here!

Yep. Cycled them via the charging handle.

Against my better judgement I tried in another brand of rifle. Results were the same. That’s not to say it wasn’t the rifle…but neither dimpled the Federal’s I was running.

I brought a round home to compare against the rounds I had…but haven’t gotten around to throwing a depth mic. on it, yet.

wow, I would be nervous about any gun that could dimple a primer just by being cycled through the gun. I mean, that’s how some automatics work! Even if a primer were to be seated out too far I would like to think that a good design would still never allow it to be touched by the firing pin unless the trigger was pulled. I was always taught to wait 15 seconds or more if a round failed to go off, precisely because it could be a hang fire that could go off out of battery or during manipulation. It’s possible though, that a “high primer” might be dimpled by the sometimes present “volcano cone” you might notice around the firing pin hole on the bolt face. could that have been possible?

I suppose anything is possible. If that were the case, I would have anticipated the same results with the federal ammunition, as well.

I was going on the idea that the primers of the rounds in question were, for what ever reason, not recessed within the cartridge head when all others of good quality might be. I say this because it’s one of my inspections for hand loading. If I see primers flush with the case head it means the priming tool may not be seating primers correctly.

Being a 1911 fan I can be biased, but I will admit. Glock is the best polymer framed handgun in the world with regards to reliability. They work, they work well in most conditions. I did own a glock 19x for a year as a truck gun while I was relocating into different states. It was fairly accurate, smooth and easy to point, but for me what got me? I like the slim 1911 grip, the angle, and the operation. It’s a personal preference really, nothing professional for me. They have a reputation and so far, I would recommend them to any shooter looking for a duty handgun or a polymer pistol along with Springfield armory’s XD series.

I’m tracking you on the high primer.

I’m just not sure about the cone on the bolt face. I haven’t seen that before. I looked for the round I mentioned before, but must have gotten rid of it. The mark/dimple that was left in the primer definitely looked like a firing pin strike. I’ve never seen a mark left from any coning in the bolt face so I don’t really have anything to compare it to.

Seen plenty of firing pin strikes…just not the other.

You are correct when considering a normal range environment. Example one is not
Example broke safety rules and possibly would have failed to engage the safety. My focus is example when choosing my carry pistol.

I had heard Glocks get a bad rap, as a reputation as common among street level violent criminals, from a documentary on Glocks I once saw.

I can see how such a theory can be proposed; They are not as expensive, are highly massed produced, have a simple and popular name, and have a uniquely plain look.

However, I’ve also heard how dependable they are, rugged, simple/no frills. It was not until how very accurate for me I had found one to be, that I became more aware of them, and see them entirely differently. For me, a masterpiece of engineering which I hold a lot of respect for.

Interesting post.

1 Like

I don’t have any, come to think about I only know of one of my buddies that has one. He’s a personal security guy for the wealthy and dignitaries. It’s not out of dislike or anything like that, it’s just that I have never purchased one.