Evolution of a firearm: Glock 17 and 19

I am expanding my horizons and contemplating purchasing my first Glock. I put my initial experience with them aside (I shot terribly with them and didn’t like the feel), and tried the 17 and 19 this weekend. I shot very well with the 17.

I’m still not a fan of the polymer feel. :confused: But it’s a reliable firearm (which I’ve never denied :wink: ) Here’s a great article for anyone wanting more information on the two evolutionary firearms by Glock:

What do you like/not like about the Glock?

Be respectful in expressing what you dislike, please.

3 Likes

I have not had my hands on a Gen 5 yet, but I do have a few Gen 4’s.

A friend bought a Gen 1 17 back in 1987 or there about. I shot it ok, but really did not like it. I really did not like the grip angle as it felt “weird”…

About 4 years ago my partner started competition (3gun) with me, and selected a 17 as her first gun. I decided to get a 34 (longer slide 17) to give it a whirl, and both are Gen 4’s. We put 10’s of thousands of rounds through them over the next 3 years. In the end, the 17 did not work for her all that well, and she moved to something that did. I am still shooting that 34…

In this case, I am thinking the gun chose me rather than the other way around. I really don’t like that I shoot it very well; I mean I want to detest the darn thing. However, I can’t shake that the target and time stats say that I do shoot it very well. So, I added a 19, and then the 41 (45acp long slide). All guns are Gen 4’s. I do not like the Gen 3 guns at all; the magazine release digs into my hand something awful and takes chunks of skin with it. In case you are thinking the 17 and 34 are tricked out, they are not. I use the “-” connector on stock springs. I do run a brass magwell on the 34 though.

I still cheat on the 34 at a match now and then with the 1911, M9A1, PX4, or CZ 75… :smiley: I did get the 19 since I like to compete and carry the same system. I can say if I shoot the 34 a ton, if I pull up any of the above guns the sights are not “right there”; that grip angle playing tricks.

2 Likes

I like the reliability, availability of parts, cost of magazines, and number of holster options. I dislike the “chunkiness.”

2 Likes

Sounds like another Harry Potter reference, the wand choses the wizard. (Sorry, I just couldn’t resist!)

3 Likes

I dislike the sights. I feel for the quality of firearm they are sub par. the rear sights are plastic.

I also feel the 19 is more versatile than the 17 as it will accept the magazines from a 17 while being small enough to conceal but big enough to be considered a fighting pistol.

1 Like

At the moment the glock part of our stable only has one 9mm, my grand daughter’s G43. A 19 or 17 gen3 is next up, and I’m not really particular which as all Glocks shoot just as well as they should in my hands. Looking for a used one, so whichever comes along first is fine.

My hubby prefers the .40s, and I usually shoot the .45s but having a 9mm to train with is cheaper.

The gen3 grips, particularly the double stacks, fit my hands perfectly and I find the grip angle naturally ideal. No issues with any of the controls biting or being hard to use.

Nothing much about the gen 4 or 5 that I need, so staying with the gen 3 for the most part. My hubby’s had them going back to gen 1.

@James I like the blockiness :grin: it has an industrial feel that seems right… function driving form. An Engineer’s gun… everything it should have, no more, no less. Reliable, durable, economical, unfussy.

Down sides: replace the takedown lever with an extended one to make that easier to use. Upgrade the sights for night vision.

Optional: replace the recoil spring guide rod for steel or titanium, and cerakote to your personal taste :grin: So far, all mine are basic black, but my granddaughters is rose gold :wink:

3 Likes

When shopping for a ccw piece, I picked up a slightly used(1 mag through it) Gen 3 Glock 22. I pointed it at the wall, then had to tilt my hand until the sights lined up. I sat it down, and picked up an M&P 45C. I pointed IT at the wall, and the sight were right there.

I love Glock reliability, interchangeability with its models, and the vast choices of size, caliber, etc. I don’t like the ergonomics, or it’s price compared to its competition.

1 Like

The only reason I do not shoot Glocks is the grip. It doesn’t sit properly in my hand. Even I’m able to manage it somehow the muzzle points too high. It’s because of different grip angle.
I see a lot of discussions “Glock guy”, “anti-Glock guy”… it doesn’t make any sense. You shoot what you like, this is the tool, and everybody uses tool which fits the best.

3 Likes

I agree with you whole-heartedly, @Jerzy! The conversations Glock/Anti-Glock I’ve seen (and some I’ve been a part of) in the Community have been in fun poking at each other. If you ever see one that isn’t in fun and is being nasty, please flag that comment. :slight_smile:

I love my Sigs, shoot decent with Glock (which I recently found out when I tried a Glock again), but I still am not a huge fan of the plastic feel. :confused:

2 Likes

Agreed. I started with polymer (I was afraid full steel would harm my hands). Now I’m steel pistols fan.

1 Like

I like the weight of the steel frames, too, @Jerzy - it helps me with recoil management. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Dawn, so now we slowly move to 1911 thread :laughing:
And yes, recoil management is much easier. After few months I found that there was no reason to change JM Browning’s pistol idea :wink:

1 Like

I :heart: the Smith & Wesson 1911 we have to rent at the range. It’s AMAZING! :grinning:

2 Likes

@Dawn… and now we moved to 1911 for sure :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

And if we go long enough, we’ll get around to why revolvers rule them all! :grin:

1 Like

Nope, won’t convince me on that one, @45IPAC. Not enough rounds for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’ve made my day !
I use 1911 in HC, so 17 rounds in my hand :+1:

2 Likes

Learn to shoot better. :joy::joy::joy:

J/K. All in good fun.

2 Likes

only in this case:

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

I just did our Defensive Shooting Fundamentals training - I would have been hard pressed to do that training with a revolver. 3-5 shots on one certain command. Why so many? Because the average self-defense shooting is 3-5 shots. If there are multiple targets, more shots may be required.

Now the picture you just shared might be a better option :wink:

2 Likes