To Glock or Not to Glock?

The mrs and I started with glocks, and stumbled into a retired glock armorer just south of us. AND I get a kick out of glock store videos, and have actually learned a lot about glocks.

I mite add with all firearms glock or not
sight alignment
trigger press, travel, reset
grip
recoil management

The mrs and I cannot shoot our glocks with accuracy, comfortability. (not a bash, we still shoot them, and they’re fun) Just a personal issue for EDC. Many firearm choices on the market, and they all go bang. How great is that we live in a country that we have unlimited choices of firearms/calibers? I wish I could shoot them all!

3 Likes

Glock was the first plastic and striker fired pistol to make it big in the world. The new caught on and was adopted by many agencies.

I was never able to shoot a friends Glock as well as I could a 1911. No matter how much I tried, I did not shoot the Glock well. I wanted to learn to shoot the Glock well so purchased a used Glock 23. I got to the point that I could shoot it ok and trusted my life with it but I still like the 1911 better. Most everyone loves the first semi-auto pistol they shoot first the best.

I have made two or three Polymer80 Glock like pistols. I used mostly aftermarket parts including highly recommended triggers. I can shoot these Glock pistols well but still like the 1911 better. I tend to recommend new shooters get Glocks. It is hard to go wrong with the manufacturer that has the largest market share in the world.

3 Likes

I carry a Glock 27. I practice with a Glock 17. The Glock has the same trigger break, regardless of which model you have. I can pick up any Glock, press the trigger and it breaks crisply at the same point every time. That really helps target accuracy. I LOVE my 1911 and also shoot it a lot - because of the crisp trigger break. The long take-up on my S&W and Barretta - at least for me - increase the grouping and make me “jerk” the trigger. Not enough patience I guess.

2 Likes

I carried a Glock 46, 9mm carry gun for years & still own & shoot it. I switched to single stack carry guns so I have carried a Walther CCP & my EDC is a Ruger LC9s now. Glock is a fine handgun. I love mine. I also own a Glock 19

2 Likes

Forgive me father for I have Glocked.
I know that my Sigs have been loyal to me.
Their triggers are crisp, their actions feel tight
And true they do shoot, but I just couldn’t resist.
I still love my Sigs, but that one Glock it just pulled me right in
We are talking about guns, right???
:grin:

6 Likes

@ScottH. I concur.
Aside from an old timey that’s massaged and set at 4 oz. in my 40x, my favorite triggers are the Sig SRTs that are in my 226s. Both SAO and DA/SA are fantastic right out of the box. Not that it’s impossible, but I can’t imagine a striker system that’s that clean.
But I’m still playing the field and most of my shots fired this weekend will be to get more intimate with the Gen5 19 that I bought recently and put on my belt this morning.
PS. - 1911s? I still see an old 7+1 Colt in my mind when anyone says 1911. I know they are light years ahead of that these days, but I haven’t broke open that checkbook yet.

2 Likes

Forgive me father as I have “Siged” and not “glocked”… I am a former alter boy and got a kick out tht statement!!! LOL LOL almost spilled my coffee laughing…

7 Likes

I became a fan of the 1911 because every time someone stuck one in my hand it just felt right, and more importantly, I hit what i shot at. For me the grip angle of the Glocks was a nightmare, and they seemed like the ugliest gun i ever saw. Naturally i hated them. But things do change with time.

Today, were it not for one other gun i found, my EDC would be a Glock 43. Were it not for the needs of CC, my " if you could only have one hand gun" choice would most likely be a Glock 20. In either case, the reliability tends to make that ugly gun kind of attractive after all! - who knew?

3 Likes

I own lots glocks love them all . but I own lots of brands of gun like them all if i don’t like I trade them in. I learned a lot by owning lots of guns , like ones that work for me and the ones that don’t. wish I would have know what I know now it would have saved me lot of money .

3 Likes

my best Glock that I like is the G45 it’s a 9mm i shoot it real well.
but own G26 like it for carry just got a used G43 have not carried it need to shoot first.

2 Likes

Love my Glocks. One major flaw in my world. The plastic recoil spring rod can and will break. My Glock 43 rod broke and disabled the gun with less than 500 rounds…annoying at the range and fatal on the street. So I replace my rod and spring assemblies with the titanium assemblies from The Glock Store. Great upgrade.

6 Likes

So I have about 500 rounds through the new gen5 19. 300 today and a couple hundred from before. Had one today that was was a click no bang. I believe it was in battery because it cycled and the hammer fell. Anyway, I got it apart and upon inspection had a soft strike on the primer (I shoulda took a picture). Anyway, I cleaned things up since it was apart, paid special attention to the chamber, and put it all back together. Dropped the round in the chamber without a mag, did a sling shot on the slide, pulled the trigger, got a ‘bang’, and the case stovepiped on eject. I finished working on first shot times, switched to rapid fire across three targets, and no further issues for the rest of the day.
I realize things happen, but I was expecting perfection!!! That’s what the poster said…Glock Perfection…
(Yes it was cleaned of shipping/storage preservative and properly oiled and wiped, 2 or 3 times)

1 Like

Did you put it in the barrel and close the slide?

I did, but I had to tap it into the barrel with a rock while the gun was apart and then put the gun back together to shoot it…:grin:

DISCLAIMER - If any reader is not familiar with firearms and their safe handling please do not try this technique. No one should ever try this technique. I did not actually do this. This is ONLY a good natured response to good natured ribbing!!!

The reason i asked at glock armors school they teach to load it from a clip instead of 1 by the chamber. The reason is that little ejection hook has a spring when you put one in the chamber and close/rack the slide that spring has to go extra to go around the casing to get into place instead of the round sliding up and between firepin wall and ejector. It is poss the ejector didnt seat right on the rim causing the stove pipe.

Just trying to help all i can over a messaging platform :grin:

1 Like

@Greg35 That solution is actually straight out of the Glock Users Manual. I thought I was the only one that read the user manual for a firearm. The manual also says you can use “dab” of C2 behind the primer, but I lost all my C2 in a boating accident.

Ahhhhhh. Now I get it! I thought you were ribbing me about the original malfunction. I actually had an intuition that the stovepipe may have been related to not having a mag in the magwell and made a ‘note to self’ to experiment with it one of these days. I believe that is now confirmed.

Do you know if there is an intermediate state where the striker could fall (soft) and not have the round in full battery? Or what would cause a short strike. I dont think dirt/contamination/carbon was it. But who knows.

1 Like

That i can check into and get back to you. I have had 1 rnd out of 1000 using magtec ammo . I looked at it and it seemed the striker. Hit good enough the round should have went off and tossed it. In hindsight i should have prob put it through again to see if it would have restruck and fired. So i cant really answer that question but i can ask around. Im not familiar enough with light strikes and what they look like sorry… Ill get back to you when i get a answer or hopefully a few aother glock guys on here can answer it.

1 Like

After reading i do know if a glock isnt in full battery it wont fire. I even see people that recheck a round and open it slightly ( dont know why they do that mostly on youtube) give the rear of the glock a bumb on the rear of the slide to make sure its in full battery. In fact there are some aftermarket parts you can get for glocks that prevent it from going out of battery if the gun is hit from the front and pushed back a smige like in a defensive close up encounter