Thinking of using 10mm 1911 at USCCA courses

Is 10mm 1911 too much of a gun to be using at basic pistol class? It’s only 8 round magazine. I would like to use my main conceal carry gun at these classes. Yes I know ammo cost would be high

10 Likes

Welcome to the group. From my perspective I would rather you bring your 10mm than your .22. I wouldn’t have a problem with it. No reason you shouldn’t. Just my opinion. Again welcome.

9 Likes

Thank you for your response

4 Likes

I think so - “nostalgiasaurus” is simply too big and bulky for a carry-gun, and you’re handicapping yourself with an SA with a grip-safety to begin with. There’re much better choices out there, but shop carefully for them. There might be video reviews to aid your decision - Graham Baates @ GBGuns has at least one on the Grand Power P40L, with a 5" barrel, and I think a 14-round mag. FYI

1 Like

@Rondall1 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you. :slightly_smiling_face:
Beautyful pistol, she should serve you well. :+1:

4 Likes

My main holster

9 Likes

I like Crossbreed also for my SA XDm .45.

3 Likes

Just a suggestion but, we discourage showing the serial number on a public site. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Good looking RIA!
I couldn’t imagine carrying mine IWB.

4 Likes

Fixed it sorry i didn’t even think about that

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Rondall1

2 Likes

Nothing to be sorry for Brother, we try to look out for each other here. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

One other question. I use a walking cane for balance only when walking because of back problems. Also I can’t kneel down at all because my knee easily becomes dislocated. Will I have any problems with any of the courses because of my disability

2 Likes

At a basic class you wouldn’t think so.

4 Likes

You can let them know them know ahead of time, it will be appreciated by the trainers. :+1:

4 Likes

And tell them you have never fired a 10mm before :grinning:

4 Likes

@Rondall1 , welcome to the Community :handshake:

Do not overthink the pistol for Basic class. You can use anything because you will be learning the basics and these can be learned even with “blue gun”. Using everyday carry pistol is a good idea. More time you spend with it, faster you become proficient accurately shooting it.
I don’t think any disability is a problem in basic class. Actually this will be a good test what and how can be done with your pistol and what are the limitations in pistol usage.
I attended several “advanced” classes where students were having different limitations and the drills were either adjusted to them or they just skip the drill or made it the way that worked best for them.
No worries, as long as you can draw and shoot, you are good :muscle:.

7 Likes

And if you show up with a Staccato you automatically pass the class by default :grin:

7 Likes

I think for a basic class you should be ok aside from the pain of emptying your wallet for the cost of the practice ammo;)

Given your knee issues and cane use I personally would lean towards an everyday carry that I could comfortably shoot one handed. There could be times when you can drop the cane and get a solid two hand grip but there might be other times when you need to maintain your mobility to be able to leave the area. The class should give you an idea of how well the 10mm will work for you in different scenarios.

5 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes