10mm pistol advice

Hello, there’s a pistol I’m interested in, looking for feedback if possible. I realize their is a Glock 20 gen4 that is lighter, the one I’m considering is the EAA Witness Steel Handgun, 10mm Auto 15+1… Anyone own one or know about it’s reliability? Thanks in advance - Peace

4 Likes

I have no personal information on the firearm but I us You Tube for reviews, here is one and there is lots more. Personally I like steel. :+1:

8 Likes

Yes, I’ve been looking some but going to look more at youtube, I do also prefer steel, going to shoulder holster it anyways. TY for the help :metal::peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Definitely personal preferences. …
Cannot speak about Glocks… but any CZ75 clone (EAA Witness also) is reliable, no doubt. Good machining, tight fit. With a little work on action you will make this handgun perfect.

Is it new? I think this one has capacity 13+1 in 10MM ?

6 Likes

Yes it’s brand new. Somewhat confusing weights depending on the website, going to EAA now for confirmation

7 Likes

I’m not a Glock fan, and prefer aluminium over steel and steel over polymer. So my opinion may not be objective.
But I’ve been shooting CZ75 for year and this is the best hammer fired non polymer handgun (I don’t count 1911 here).
EAA Witness shoots as great as original CZ.

7 Likes

This model may be new but EAA has been making (actually Tanfoglio makes them) a Witness 10mm for decades. I owned one for a while and sold it. It was a nice shooting gun and I liked it at the range, BUT… Two issues with them. Unless they have fixed the design, the gun was prone to cracking frames because Tanfoglio used to put too light a recoil spring on them, something easily fixed.

BUT, most important, I used to call it my crew served pistol because I felt like I needed a carriage/horses to carry it for any length of time. An all steel gun with 16 rounds of 180gr 10mm ammo in it is BIG and HEAVY!!! It did not mater what belt/holster I used to carry it, within an hour my back would be hurting me and my pants would be sliding down so I had to keep cinching my belt to the point it was uncomfortable all the time. And that is a big no-no, specially for a gun I meant to use as a “woods” gun for long hikes. So I started carrying it with only 9-10 rounds in it which made it a little better but then I figured why do I have this big double stack gun when I can’t carry it at full capacity? So, I sold it and bought a Dan Wesson Razorback 1911. Last but not least, the trigger in DA mode is WAY out there and I could never reach it and have a good grip on a first DA shot, so what I ended up doing, carrying cocked and locked, which again, convinced me that a 1911 was a better idea for me. Last I checked there were quote a few out there in the used market for pretty cheap and makes me think I’m not the only one that called it a failed experiment.

Check out the RIA 10mm 1911s. I have shot a few and have many friends that own them and I really like them. I think it’s a LOT of gun for the price!

8 Likes

I went with the Kimber 10 mm. I really like it and it’s the most accurate pistol I own.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info, yes the main purpose is for hiking, protection from black bear, wild boar. Encountered folks who had an earlier model and experienced cracks around the ejector and apparently the top slide was redesigned larger and folks could send them in for a free upgrade, and their was a spring issue. The site I’m looking at, it is new but doesn’t resemble most of the same yt vids, I’ve watched a few, only to find out minutes in it wasn’t the same model, so I’m waiting for a reply from EAA. With everything being sold out that’s affordable for me I hope to hear back soon, their is always a 44 revolver, or I may just have to carry my 45 Hi-point (go ahead and laugh everyone but it’s always worked) my concern is this might be an older model bc it’s simply available lol

4 Likes

Some day when I have more time I’ll relay a story of a challenge between the President of Hi-Point and my friend Scott who at the time was heading the online version of the Guns and Ammo magazine. It involved a bet of Scott trying to destroy a company supplied Hi-Point and if he failed he had to pay full MSRP on it. He owns it and he had to write a personal check for it… :joy:

5 Likes

I do pocket carry a Kel-Tec P3AT 380, have for 11 yrs, it’s polymer and so easy to carry, it’s been faithful and I just use standard rounds but I hear you on the bigger caliber rounds, polymer just seems - well it’s an awful big round to use polymer, I’m no rocket mechanic though

5 Likes

Kel-Tec is another highly underrated gun company that makes very nice guns and has outstanding customer service! I had an original P3AT for years as a BUG. My buddy now owns it and it’s his EDC. Still going strong.

5 Likes

If you are looking for 10mm below $1,000 then as @Enzo_T mentioned - Rock Island is a good option.

7 Likes

I have been HIGHLY IMPRESSED with the ones I’ve shot. If I was buying a second 10mm today that would probably be the one.

4 Likes

I guess it depends on the model. I have a kel-tec P11 9MM. I hate it. Not a fun gun to shoot. The magazine won’t drop unless you take the bottom with your fingers and pull it out, trigger has too much travel and is too curved. I have to bandage my trigger finger for padding to shoot. It hurts the hand to shoot much. It’s a good size to conceal, but too many drawbacks for my EDC. Lol. But enough of my problems. My first experience with KEL TEC. Maybe not being fair.

4 Likes

A relative of mine has the same pistol and dislikes it also

4 Likes

I can tell you that I have a Glock 29 10mm which is amazingly smooth and I also have a Rock Island 1911 2A double stack 15+1 10mm which is an absolute Beast and I Love to shoot every chance I get. I have not personally every owned or fired an EAA, but have heard from people who own them that they are decent.

3 Likes

EAA Witness 10 is a nice and reliable handgun… but shooting comfort and trigger smoothness is definitely on Rock Island 1911 side !

3 Likes

Oh I never said it was a fun gun to shoot :joy: Any light polymer framed gun chambered in a potent round will make range sessions rough at best. Specially the more cost effective ones like Kel-Tec because they have more sharp edges and mold seams than a more expensive finished polymer framed gun like a Kahr or Glock, and they tend to be a lot snappier in recoil than metal guns.

Still the quality is there and the CS is there too and the price point makes these guns and others like them affordable and carry friendly options for someone looking for a reasonably priced pistol. When I had my Key-Tec I used to wear a glove and just “suck it up” during range time.

3 Likes

Going to jump up to this comment from @Enzo_T. The comment about too light a recoil spring is common complaint among all EAA/Tanfoglio firearms, regardless of caliber. But you are also right, it is easily fixed. It is also something to keep in mind when owning a 10mm is keeping fresher springs in them because it is a bit higher intensity cartridge than most handgun cartridges and keeping fresh springs will save a lot of battering of the firearm. The 10MM cartridge is a great round and I would highly recommend getting one. I have two 1911 10mm’s, a colt and a SA and both of them I went one heavier on the recoil spring and run a buffer and I still dont have any malfunctions. So @Bruno, dont let the “lighter” recoil spring scare you from the EAA. Just get a recoil spring probably two steps above stock and you will be all set.

5 Likes